Sign in to follow this  
~Craig~

FMC would not accept any revisions to LEGS (direct, delete, etc)

I've just flown a flight this evening with the 777F, and all was going well until I was getting close to the top of descent and tried to make some changes to the LEGS page.      On all attempts, I recieved an "Invalid Entry" or "Invalid Delete" message.

So for example, let's say I have these remaining legs :-

WELIN

TNT

POL

RAPUM

EGNT

.....and let's say I line select POL and then attempt to click on to WELIN (in other words to go direct to POL)....  I then get "Invalid Entry".

If I also tried to just press the DELETE key on the FMC, and line select any of the above legs, I received "Invalid Delete".

I'm on SP1b, so up to date.

Can anyone point me towards what the issue may be here?

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone point me towards what the issue may be here?

Did you use a route planner tool to give you a route file?  If so, I recall one of them adding extra junk in there that will give the FMC trouble, which will give you trouble.  I can't recall the thread that mentioned it, or the planner they used, but it sounds very familiar.

Kyle Rodgers

Did you use a route planner tool to give you a route file?  If so, I recall one of them adding extra junk in there that will give the FMC trouble, which will give you trouble.  I can't recall the thread that mentioned it, or the planner they used, but it sounds very familiar.

I did Kyle, I used this site here :-

http://www.simbrief.com/home/

....it generates .RTE files, which I then add the '001' to the file name and place in the PMDG/Flight Plans folder, and uplink from the 777.

Good call though - first thing I'll check now is self-creating a FP within the FMC, and then I'll test the T7 to see if I can then perform the LEGS amendments.

Thanks for the pointer.   :good:

I tested with -300ER and Simbrief generated route + wx. Everything works normally in legs page: trimming the route, deleting/editing waypoints/constraints. 

I do not add 001 at .RTE files.

Adding a seq number to the route file won't cause this.  The only time that'll cause issues is with WX files, since it's looking for [iCAO][iCAO].wx.

For what it's worth, the plane itself adds a seq number by default when it saves route files when you're in the sim.

Kyle Rodgers

So for example, let's say I have these remaining legs :-

WELIN

TNT

POL

RAPUM

EGNT

If those are the waypoints left it must mean that WELIN is the active waypoint meaning you are heading to WELIN right now. You cannot do anything with an active waypoint. It can't be replaced by selecting POL and moving it to be on top of WELIN and then executing.

If those are the waypoints left it must mean that WELIN is the active waypoint meaning you are heading to WELIN right now. You cannot do anything with an active waypoint. It can't be replaced by selecting POL and moving it to be on top of WELIN and then executing.

And how do you execute direct to command?

And how do you execute direct to command?

I get out of VNAV by using HDG select to line up on the waypoint. Once I have gone by the prior waypoints, I get rid of them on the legs page and then engage LNAV again. I only use the direct to command in the MD-11.

I get out of VNAV by using HDG select to line up on the waypoint. Once I have gone by the prior waypoints, I get rid of them on the legs page and then engage LNAV again. I only use the direct to command in the MD-11.

This procedure is non-standard on the Boeing aircraft, and definitely not required.

Boeing method for DIRECT TO:

Line select the waypoint you want.

Place it at the top.

Done.

Kyle Rodgers

Place it at the top.

Even if the top is the active waypoint? I learn something new everyday.

Sometimes mine does this, the first time it did it I made sure I was using a route created with the right AIRAC to match the one I had installed in the plane, the second time It happened I updated my Microsoft visual basic runtime installations and it seemed to kill that odd behaviour. I think they were corrupted.

Lol, as above, it's perfectly possible to do this, in Boeing (and most other) FMCs, using the method Kyle suggested. :smile:

The only difference is, the MD-11 has a specific "DTO" button on the FMC (as do the Airbuses), where as the 737 has no DTO button, but Direct To's are still achieved, as Kyle detailed.

Sometimes mine does this, the first time it did it I made sure I was using a route created with the right AIRAC to match the one I had installed in the plane, the second time It happened I updated my Microsoft visual basic runtime installations and it seemed to kill that odd behaviour. I think they were corrupted.

Ah you may be on to something here James - Simbrief does give the option (I believe) to select Airac cycle, and I've never changed that.  Perhaps I'm using one that is inconsistant with the T7s.

Could you confirm the Airac that comes with the T7 please? ..... (excuse my ignorance on this).

Many thanks.

Lol, as above, it's perfectly possible to do this, in Boeing (and most other) FMCs, using the method Kyle suggested.

You are correct. On a EDDF-KIAH flight I selected the fourth waypoint from the active waypoint, put it over the active waypoint, executed, and the plan turned and flew toward the selected waypoint. Thanks.

You are correct. On a EDDF-KIAH flight I selected the fourth waypoint from the active waypoint, put it over the active waypoint, executed, and the plan turned and flew toward the selected waypoint. Thanks.

As you say, these fine PMDG Boeings teach us something new every day. :smile:

So, last night I flew a flight in the 777 but manually entered the flight plan in to the FMC (instead of creating a .RTE file using Simbrief)...... no problems at all.     ...... so it does seem that Simbrief, at least in some scenarios (not all) is generating FPs that the 777's FMC doesn't like.

For now, I'll just enter the flight plans manually.

Cheers for the help guys. 

As you say, these fine PMDG Boeings teach us something new every day. :smile:

So, last night I flew a flight in the 777 but manually entered the flight plan in to the FMC (instead of creating a .RTE file using Simbrief)...... no problems at all.     ...... so it does seem that Simbrief, at least in some scenarios (not all) is generating FPs that the 777's FMC doesn't like.

For now, I'll just enter the flight plans manually.

Cheers for the help guys. 

Or some other factor we fail to see. Anyway, simbrief or not, if you experience the problem again, you can document it as good as you can, so maybe we can find out what's wrong.

Edit: Can you post that simbrief file somewhere, I would like to analyze it?