Sign in to follow this  
Superpilotv2

FaceTrackNoIR worth it?

Hi guys,

I think of getting a head tracker (will be much more easy to fly I suppose). I´ve heared of this Facetrack-programm wich only needs a webcam. I don´t have one but I might geet one. After all it is less expensive than TrackIR 5 (These things are pretty expensive in Germany,). So has someone experience with FaceTrackNoIR and can tell me whether it´s stabe, hassle free and ueasy to use? Otherwhise I might get TRackIr instead.

Its worth every FREE PENNY.

I use it.

Yes sometimes it behaves erratically but it works.  Need proper lighting on your face.

If you have the skill then you can also make 3 clip set so that you could use with Facetracknoir using Pointracker 1.1 plugin. And it will behave like your TrackIR.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

All right. That sounds good. I suppose a higher resolution of the camera will lead to better results. What do you use?

I have Microsoft Lifecam .

I tried it for a little while. Works only so-so. It reads your eyes and face. Wearing glasses caused to work less well. Also zooming in tight to your head/face helps but then you are pretty much forced to not move around at all i.e. you have to keep your head in one exact spot.

Try it, its free. Web cam can come in handy in other areas.

Well, I went out and got some inexpensive webcam. Software installed nicely, FaceTRackNoIR found the cam, so far so good. But in FSX it´s a mess, the view is jumping all over the place, no stability. What are your settings?

You can also try the Free Track. The only downside is that you have to build a "pointer device" with IR leds. But IMHO it works better. It's more precise and faster than FaceTrackNoIR.

The Track IR 5 is really expensive in my country too (US$ 350,00 without the Track Clip). Fortunately a friend of mine brought me one from US for US$ 140,00.

He he it will jump.

What i do is stay a bit away and not try to move my face to quick.

You want my settings ?

You can also try the Free Track. The only downside is that you have to build a "pointer device" with IR leds. But IMHO it works better. It's more precise and faster than FaceTrackNoIR.

The Track IR 5 is really expensive in my country too (US$ 350,00 without the Track Clip). Fortunately a friend of mine brought me one from US for US$ 140,00.

Freetrack is not stable.

I would say use the pointtracker 1.1 in FacetrackNOIR , it is as good as TrackIR

I always wear my headset when flying (for ATC traffic). I might put some IR LED´s on that. How much should be suffice?

Check the Free Track website, there you find complete building plans for 1, 3 and 4-LED pointers and a calculator for the resistors.

free-track.net

One tip, use very wide angled LEDs, I've used 60 degrees on my test model, but I loose the tracking if I turn my head too much. You'll need at least 80 degrees spread.

Cheers!

Maarten

Or use OpenTrack

github.com/opentrack/opentrack

I'm finding the cardboard tracking pattern on the top of a cap more reliable than FacetrackNoIR

The face tracker is extremely jerky and very hard to fine-tune, but I notice that the pointtracker, as found on the Free Track website works great.

I got things working now and for the ones who would like to know how to do this, I'll write a complete step-by-step guide explaining how I did it later today, when I got some last glitches worked out.

Cheers!

Maarten

The face tracker is extremely jerky and very hard to fine-tune, but I notice that the pointtracker, as found on the Free Track website works great.

I got things working now and for the ones who would like to know how to do this, I'll write a complete step-by-step guide explaining how I did it later today, when I got some last glitches worked out.

An guide would be indeed very helpful. Thank you! :-)

I tried Facetracknoir but never found the results very satisfactory. I put off building a 3 LED cap until a month ago and I am delighted by how easy it was to make and how accurate it is using the Freetrack or Facetracknoir software. Much cheaper than Trackir!!

Dave

Intel I7-4770 3.4Ghz
16 Gb RAM
nVidia GTX770 2Gb
Windows 8.1 64 bit
P3D 4.4/3.4 FSX SE