Sign in to follow this  
Superpilotv2

FaceTrackNoIR worth it?

I have a 3 LED (self made) but my Face tracking works almost perfectly so I don't tend to use it as much.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I found a setup that works great for me and for the ones who're interested in how I've done it, here's a complete description:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/451988-free-headtracking-software-and-hardware-construction/

Hope this will be usefull to others. :)

Looks good. Let´s see what I with my crappy skills can do. :-)

Just as a heads up: The parts for an 3 LED Cap are bought, now waiting for delivery.  I´ll probably using Free Track  then, seems better for the IR-point-model.

Just as a heads up: The parts for an 3 LED Cap are bought, now waiting for delivery.  I´ll probably using Free Track  then, seems better for the IR-point-model.

NO 

Use Facetracknoir with Pointracker DLL.  And you can use the 3 Led clip.  Freetrack is very unstable. 

Trust me on this i use it.

NO 

Use Facetracknoir with Pointracker DLL.  And you can use the 3 Led clip.  Freetrack is very unstable. 

Trust me on this i use it.

Couldn't agree more! FreeTrack hasn't been updated since 2008 (and was always a bit flaky with FSX) whilst FaceTrackNoIR is being regularly updated. The PointTracker head tracker in FaceTrackNoIR is an updated port of the original FreeTrack version anyway. The Accela filter and PointTracker in FaceTrackNoIR work REALLY well with an LED point source - no noticeable difference when compared to TrackIR 5. The LED clip is easy to make (see http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=413 and also the hardware section at http://www.free-track.net/english/hardware/point_model.php). Ignore the 4-point LED hat clip as it gives no real advantage over the 3-point version. If you're not confident making it yourself search eBay for DelanClip which is not too expensive and seems well-made.

I also tried Opentrack (https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack - details at the bottom of the page) which works with more hardware trackers but I found it was not quite as smooth in FSX as FaceTrackNoIR. Its one advantage, though, is that it works with the Aruco tracker which just involves sticking a small printed card square to your hat/headset - search online for "Aruco marker" (you only need a single black and white square, not the multiple chessboard examples). It works better than basic face tracking but I found that it was not as good as using an LED point source.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

All right, tanks for the infromation, much appreciated. As soon as te parts are here I wil post some from teh buidling. Then I will investigate which programm is better.

Ah I have a feeling you will finalize with Facetrack.

It took quite a while to ship the things´, but we worked on it today. So far it works (at least it´s seen by Facetrack.). Now onto eliminationg the reflexions... 

20141004_150536453_iOS_zpsfd641a6d.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality, iPad 2 isn´t the best anymore... 

I have recently started using it. It's brilliant and free! Lots of configuration: dead zones, curves, ...

My Webcam is Hama Spy Protect HD-Webcam for 20€.

I had a 3 LED Cap but I wasn't happy. It's difficult to get wide angle IR diodes and the cap causes shadowing of the diodes in certain angles.

I'm using v170 of FreeTrackNoIR and I'm astounded at how good it is when paired with my PS3 Eye Camera.  I'm doing head tracking with no cap, no LED's, nothing but my relatively bald head (and I wear glasses).  I've played about with the curves a bit to slow and smooth the movement and use Simconnect to connect with FSX:SE.

Well worth a look. http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/home/default.htm

Raj