Sign in to follow this  
Jim Robinson

Going Through a Heli Phase

I don't really consider myself a rotor head but I love the Agusta, lol. Had a nice late afternoon flight, sorta like the energizer bunny, I just kept going and going... All shots are from FSX DX10, silky smooth averaging 30.1 FPS locked at 33 with max autogen. The ole girl still looks pretty good!

heli01.jpg

heli02.jpg

heli03.jpg

heli04.jpg

heli05.jpg

I like the Jet Ranger too, much more nimble and easier to fly than the Agusta but not as fast. Love this paint:

heli06.jpg

heli07.jpg

Thanks for looking :smile:
Jim

It's really a great way to enjoy scenery.  It'd be fun to have actual helicopter joystick and collective.  Very nice shots!

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Beautiful!!!

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Very nice shots! I dusted off the MilViz Huey a few days ago to get a better look at Orbx KMRY, but I could not keep it going in one direction. I'm terrible (despite having pedals.) The only other premium heli I own is the Alabeo R-66, which unfortunately, I haven't gotten around to flying yet. Maybe I'll try that  instead, thanks to your inspiration!

Wow that DCS Mi8 is one bad looking machine! I haven't really considered buying any payware choppers yet but I suppose I should look around and see what I can't live without. I never paid much attention to helis in the sim despite working on them for several years in the real world. I got sort of good at flying them because I have this scenery design tool which is basically an aircraft that you slew around to check elevations, pinpoint coordinates, and what not. If you take it out of slew mode though it has some easy helicopter flight dynamics and I sort of accidentally learned how to fly it while looking around at my scenery, lol. chplus.zip and ch_pnl.zip in the file library if anyone wants to try it. It really is a kick to fly. Thanks for the comments guys :smile:

Jim

I go through heli phases every once in awhile, to the point where I do have an install of DCS on my pc with the Huey and the Mi8.  I actually prefer the heli's in FSX; I know that it's lacking a bit of realism, but I don't find them as stressful to fly.  DCS is extremely stressful to fly in, to the point where after a couple of hours tolling around I actually feel as exhausted as if I was in the real thing.

I haven't really considered buying any payware choppers yet but I suppose I should look around and see what I can't live without.

Some would say that you can live without most of them. ^_^   I personally really enjoy the Cerasim UH-60L as well as the Milviz 407.  Both are a lot of fun to fly and look great at the same time.  The Dodosim 206 of course is pretty much the top of the heap for FSX when it comes to realism, but it's looking a bit dated compared to the newer stuff.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Nice shots!

helis are pretty much all I fly in FS. The Milviz/nemeth huey is my fav, with the cera Blackhawk second, then the Area51sim Kiowa is set as my default aircraft. I also like the nemeth AS355 and the Milviz Agusta 109. I am waiting for the Milviz MD530F and hope since it is a smaller bird it is easier on the frames than their other offerings.

Best, Michael

KDFW

My right arm get's tired after I fly one of these things for an hour or so as it is, I'm not sure if I want a more stressful sim if that's what DCS is all about. There's no such thing as hands-off flight with a helicopter, lol. I think I could get into the Blackhawk, I'll have to check that out. I like the heavy feel of the EH101, you don't just stop 20,000 lbs moving at 160 kts on a dime, you have to sort of plan your arrival from a ways out. I'll probably try something big if I buy a payware.

Thanks for the comments on the shots folks :smile:

I like the screenshots, and totally understand how you get into a sort of phase with helicopters.  I was on a heli kick for a couple of weeks not long ago.  Man was I impressed with the Dodosim 206, especially with some of the high def texture enhancements for the vc that you can get from hovercontrol.  For hours on end, mostly what I would  do is take off from a helipad, circle around, and then land again, seeing how fast I could approach, how abruptly I could transition to a hover, and how accurately I could set it down, just like I was bringing in troops to a hot landing zone.  Sometimes I would play A-Team and chase airport trucks around the airport. I enjoyed it's maintenance simulation a lot too, more so than I have from other developers that simulate wear, because you actually have to "pay" for inspections instead of just being presented with some list of everything that is broken, and it costs to fix problems. I think Helicopters are the perfect cure for the periods of FSX boredom that we are all subject to.  I have DCS but it isn't installed.  I'm just waiting for DCS Edge, and I can't wait to hear the thwap thwap thwap of the Huey.

Man was I impressed with the Dodosim 206, especially with some of the high def texture enhancements for the vc that you can get from hovercontrol.

Over at Hovercontrol, there's a thread regarding the complete new HD makeover of the 206.  It's likely still far away, but I'm excited.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.