Sign in to follow this  
Demious

Free-track not connecting to P3D

It took me a while to get the setup right, but in the Free-track monitor window I got a nice and smooth movement from the LEDs. Only thing I cant seem to get working is to transport this movement to P3D.

I cant find a proper explanation how to set it up for P3D, through Simconnect. I copied the Simconnect.cfg to the Free-track program folder and I ran both the Simconnect.msi files from the redist folder again and got the P3D v2.3 SDK installed.

Is there someone who works with Free-track who can tell me how to setup Free-track to work with P3D?

Cheers!

Maarten

I tought freetrack was compatible with FSX, and p3d(v1)  but not with p3dv2.

Does it work with p3dv2?

I read several posts from people who're using it with P3D, but non mentioned which version. What I do know is the Free-track's last update is from the same period as FaceTrackNoir's last update, at least, for both that was before P3D got even released. I tried FaceTrackNoir through Simconnect and besides it being too jumpy to properly work with, which I read is indeed the downside of that program, it does connect and shows camera movement in P3Dv2.3. So I figured, if both are using the same Simconnect structure and one does connect to P3Dv2.3, than the other should also be able to connect to P3Dv2.3 and how well it is working, that's what I'm trying to find out.

I seemed like a fun project and it would be great if I got things working.

Cheers!

Maarten

Keep us posted Maarten - I was considering wiring up my TrackIR for P3D but I'd like to try Free-Track as an alternative. TrackIR just made me feel sick after flying for anything more than 10mins!

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Not just the price is a nice bonus, but I think it's much more fun to craft your own stuff (if possible, of course), than just buy stuff. I'll see how far I get and post my progress, if I make any. :)

Before I tried FaceTrackNoir and this worked 'right out of the box'. I just installed it, set the output to simconnect and that's it. Now I saw that my pointer should also work with FTN, so I installed it again, to test the connection with P3D, but every time I set the output to Simconnect and click start, I get the message: Protocol is not (correctly) installed.

So I went to the FaceTrackNoir website, but in all posts I found about it, they tell people to ask on Avsim...  So this didnt get me much further.

But what puzzles me, is that before FTN simply worked by starting it up and now it doesnt. I did a complete clean install this weekend, so I cant imagine my system has been messed up.

What I did find though, was that there should be a Simconnect.dll file in the Windows/System32 folder, but there isnt. In fact, I cant find a Simconnect.dll anywhere on my system.

Is this something from FSX and doesnt P3D's Simconnect use this file anymore? But on the other hand, if it's all because of this file missing, it should have been in my system when I tried FTN last time... Can someone tell me if P3D's simconnect still installs a Simconnect.dll in the windows/system32 folder, or anywhere else on the system?

Cheers!

Maarten

I think the installer put simconnect.dll in a subfolder of windows\winsxs.

I got 4 simconnect versions in different winsxs subfolders, but I have FSX installed as well, and I can't remember which sim installed which simconnect, sorry. Pretty sure P3D installed at least one of them though.

- Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

Great, I'm kinda interested in a DIY TrackIR myself, so this comes very convenient, thanks Maarten! :smile:

- JP

- Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen