Sign in to follow this  
blackasdf

Magnetic heading offset

Hello everyone,

when i select a heading value on the mcp, the airplanes flies with 2 degrees offset. If i select heading 313 the airplane will fly heading 311. Does anyone else have this issue?

Thank you,

Luca Storero

Please excuse the double post, my internet connection is having troubles and i clicked two times on the "post" button. Feel free to delete this one, thank you and sorry.

Does anyone else have this issue?

See your other post.  My bet is that the problem you're seeing is called wind.

...so yes, everyone has this "issue."

Kyle Rodgers

See your other post.  My bet is that the problem you're seeing is called wind.

...so yes, everyone has this "issue."

That's Funny :-)

Rob Robson

That's Funny :-)

Rob, how aircraft' NDs are setup in your company, for track up, or for heading up? I find heading up more natural as it's aligned with longitudinal axis of aircraft.

The Boeings in our company have Track up.

So that is how I have the PMDG777 as well.

Heading up does make sence though.

- Easier to navigate around Thunderstorms on weather radar that way.

- Easier to see how the runway lies on an approach with strong crosswind.

But I have never tried Heading Up on the PMDG though so I do not know if I would actually like it better (I think not).

- I do not think I like the magenta route to not go up...might be because I am so used to track up though.

- I do not like that the heading bug then still auto sets to the ILS inbound TRACK (it does, doesn't it?)

(If I use Heading up then the heading bug should set to Heading Up. The track line will lead to the runway. This way you would have two lines....with a better picture on how the runway lies during crosswind approach.)

By the way, If you use Track Up.....you only get Track up on the ND.

The little compas rose inside the PFD will still show Heading Up!.....maybe for that reason that our company thought Track Up is the best of both worlds.

To see how the runway lies during strong crosswind approaches I use that smaller PFD compass rose.

Rob Robson