Sign in to follow this  
dkberesk12

FSX franchise sold to Dovetail games?

Yes, lol!

It's quite old news now. :smile:   The Dovetail FSX is sold on STEAM, or it will be if not already.

im out of the loop i guess. haha did they do anything to the game itself? i havent seen any dovetail version of FSX on steam. just xplane. but have read bad reviews of train simulator

Just to be clear -- Microsoft sold a license to Dovetail to distribute FSX Gold on Steam. Microsoft has retained all rights to the code.

Lyn

The Dovetail version on steam is currently being beta tested and a release will be announced when testing is completed.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

And I bet the DX10 fixer is part of it LOL

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Better hope they don't force you buy every little bit and piece like they do on their train simulator.   Train simulator, with all its combined DLC content, is the most expensive piece of gaming software on STEAM coming in at a little over $4000 for all the add-on locomotives and all the liveries.   XD   I'd rather not pay that much for FSX.   Hopefully they will use a better business model for FSX on steam and can breathe some new life into the old gal yet.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

Just to be clear -- Microsoft sold a license to Dovetail to distribute FSX Gold on Steam. Microsoft has retained all rights to the code.

Lyn

This makes it sound like Dovetail just bought the rights to distribute - they also purchase the rights to develop new products.  It is not simply a distribution deal.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2460690,00.asp  

Froogle has a video up on this - must watching before participating in this thread...

The Dovetail version on steam is currently being beta tested and a release will be announced when testing is completed.

Best regards,

When/where did they announce this?

Brandon Filer

This makes it sound like Dovetail just bought the rights to distribute - they also purchase the rights to develop new products.  It is not simply a distribution deal.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2460690,00.asp

Froogle has a video up on this - must watching before participating in this thread...

Perhaps a search on Avsim before participating in this thread?? Dovetail only has distribution rights to FSX in their own words:

"This response came straight from Dovetail on their steam hub:

There seems to be a bit of confusion here. Hopefully this will clear the situation up.

Dovetail Games has acquired the rights to distribute the multi-award winning Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Gold Edition via Valve's popular digital retail channel, Steam, entitles Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition. Box distribution remains in control of Microsoft and is unrelated to the announcement we have made. We will be acting as a publisher for Microsoft in relation to FSX. We have a license to re=release FSX on Steam and this does not extend to making product improvements. Ultimately overall direction for the product remains with Microsoft.

As stated we have also acquired a global licensing deal with Microsoft, granting us the rights to develop and publish all-new flight products based on Microsoft's genre-defining flight technology. We are currently investigating new concepts in this area and is expecting to bring a release to market in 2015

- Martin"

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/446086-dovetail-games-buys-licensing-deal-with-microsoft/

Lyn

I feel like this:

Dovetail Games has acquired the rights to distribute the multi-award winning Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Gold Edition via Valve's popular digital retail channel, Steam, entitles Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition. 

definitely contradicts this:

As stated we have also acquired a global licensing deal with Microsoft, granting us the rights to develop and publish all-new flight products based on Microsoft's genre-defining flight technology. We are currently investigating new concepts in this area and is expecting to bring a release to market in 2015

What exactly is the difference? They say that where FSX goes is in the hands of Microsoft, but they are entitled to publish new flight products!

And I bet the DX10 fixer is part of it LOL

I'm thinking not...it's a great theory, but unfortunately I have a different suspicion as to why sales ceased and they involve legalish things of a different type.

Eric Szczesniak

What's so hard to understand?

1. DTG can distribute FSX on Steam and make minor code changes for Steam and multiplayer to accomplish this.

2. MS still controls boxed edition distribution.

3. DTG can develop all new flight products based on MS technology.

I'm thinking not...it's a great theory, but unfortunately I have a different suspicion as to why sales ceased and they involve legalish things of a different type.

Yes, quite agree.Whatever the reason, it has been silenced.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.