Sign in to follow this  
FogGobbler

new hardware (?) - GTX 970 4GB MSI

Hi guys,

what do you think about the GTX 970 MSI with 4GB ? At the moment I´m using a GTX 680 card, do you think the MSI card would make a noticeable difference?

Thanks,

Oli 

Yes this will be a big difference.

Which Sim are you using? If you are using a Sim which is GPU not really relevant like FSX, then I would say It would not make a noticeable difference.

But for P3D and X-Plane, of course ;)

Same case here EVGA 670 FTW II, planning on getting the 970, I mean for $325 and twice as much performance gain I believe its a no brainier.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

I recently switched from GTX670 to GTX 780, and the difference was obvious. I believe with GTX980 would be even better. Im not sure about difference between 780 and 970. I will skip 980 and wait for next generation.  Or waiting for 2x780 SLI  when SLI will be ready.

Performance of the GTX970 is same or slightly better than the GTX780  but not as good at GTX780Ti.  I am going to pull the trigger on the 970 as well....upgrading from 560Ti so I should notice a nice bump in image quality and hopefully fewer stutters but I expect framrates to remain unchanged as that is mostly processor driven.  I am interested in how this card will perform with P3D.....I would imagine very well.

Oops sorry, just realized this is a post on the XP forum.....doesn't matter though, still a great card and a great price.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Found this on simforums from NickN the guru -

I don't know anything about the card. I don't own one, have not researched it since the 780/4770k system runs just fine and I really have no reason to look for any upgrade.

The bible states everything people need to know about what I think ... do you have a modern system now and want to play? got the money? have fun, don't have the money? don't be stupid

It usually takes 2-3 years between total platform/CPU/GPU developments to make a difference that has monetary value in return on investment.

What did I say in the bible?

RULE #1:

Be aware that when we purchase 1st generation (zero-day) release motherboards or video adapters they can come with new-product issues. If you are not somewhat tech savvy this could present an issue for you.

New release hardware can have manufacture design flaws that get fixed in the 2nd manufacture run of the product OR some kind of compatibility issue between devices is present the manufacture needs time to correct. The Sandy Bridge motherboards that were recalled back in 2011are a prime example of manufacture design screw-ups and there are many more examples I can site. Being someone who has been around the high-tech industry for almost 50 years I can say without reservation that we are all are paying for research and development when we run out and buy that new product on day-one of release, and the hardware manufactures love us for it, but then we get to play with the goodies first too!

RULE #2:

Do not purchase hardware with the thought that you will upgrade with better hardware in 6 months to a year.

There are people who go out and buy the latest and greatest every development cycle. They pay through the nose for that hardware and can probably afford it, but the fact of the matter is the boost in performance they get from renewing every 6 months to a year is VERY SMALL for what they pay. You may read all types of reports about such hardware in forums.. be aware, people hate to say the money they spent produced limited results, on the flip side people who buy cheap hardware will typically defend that mindset by making ignorant claims about compares with the better hardware that are totally false.. human nature prevails.

Bottom Line: You are far better off planning, saving and purchasing the right parts at the right time and enjoying that purchase for the long haul.

RULE #3:

Do not daydream about what is coming a year from now. It usually gets delayed and between now and then sitting there wishing and waiting will only provide another year of frustrations. (this is for people on OLD hardware, not something a year or 2 old but it can also be for the deep pocket money bag user too who wants to play and doesn't care if the boost they get is minimal for what they spend)

Vernon Howells

Performance of the GTX970 is same or slightly better than the GTX780  but not as good at GTX780Ti.  I am going to pull the trigger on the 970 as well....upgrading from 560Ti so I should notice a nice bump in image quality and hopefully fewer stutters but I expect framrates to remain unchanged as that is mostly processor driven.  I am interested in how this card will perform with P3D.....I would imagine very well.

Just to set this straight ... contrary to FSX/P3D, X-Plane much more GPU dependent, thus higher end GPUs can make quite a difference.

I think you would see a huge difference, but I'm waiting for the GTX 980ti 8gb.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

I am concernd about VRAM. Should i get the current 4GB ones or wait for 8GB cards to come out?

I am concernd about VRAM. Should i get the current 4GB ones or wait for 8GB cards to come out?

4gb is more than enough, unless you are running some crazy array of 4k monitors....

Hi, I'm in the same case. Owner of a 680, and ready to buy a 970. Of course it should make a big difference.

Pascal

Pascal, I have a 680 too. It gives me 30 FPS in most situations...and unless you also update your CPU, how can one expect going from a very decent 680, to the 980, or 970, to really be a good and easy R.O.I.?  That's the trouble I am having in going beyond a 680.  It was such a monumental release over the the last three prior versions to it.  I don't see the the R.O.I. of the same in comparing the reported performance of a 980, as compared to the FPS and graphic generation of your 680.

What's your view?

4gb is more than enough, unless you are running some crazy array of 4k monitors....

That is a myth. With X-Plane 10 in 1600 x 900 with (compressed) maximum texture resolution and HD Mesh 2 ALONE (no payware aircraft, airports ect.) you may easily exceed 4GB. My 6GB card uses 3.5-4.5 GB most of the time.

In other words, with high settings, even today 4GB is not enough.

NOTE: The VRAM monitor in X-Plane's settings is completely broken. It will say something like "1.8 GB", while checking with a GPU monitor in Windows you will see what amount is really used, and that is a LOT more than what X-Plane states.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Pascal, I have a 680 too. It gives me 30 FPS in most situations...and unless you also update your CPU, how can one expect going from a very decent 680, to the 980, or 970, to really be a good and easy R.O.I.?  That's the trouble I am having in going beyond a 680.  It was such a monumental release over the the last three prior versions to it.  I don't see the the R.O.I. of the same in comparing the reported performance of a 980, as compared to the FPS and graphic generation of your 680.

What's your view?

Sesquashtoo, I've been very happy with my 680, but now I'm also frustrated. First, 2Gb memory are not enough. I can't load it with lvl 17 Simheaven photoscenery at extreme resolution and HDR. It's one or the other. And except for a very good reason (like one day, the occulus rift finally entering the market and asking for every frame we can give it) I can't fly without HDR now.

Speaking of HDR, I'm wondering if I'll be finally able to activate 8x AA, which is a killer right now (8fps !) AA is the weak point of HDR right now.

As Andras said, X-Plane is more GPU dependant than CPU, at least if one already have a modern enough CPU.

I usually can afford to buy a new Nvidia card every two generations, and the time has come.

And frankly, the GTX 970 power/price ratio is quite hard to beat !

Pascal