Sign in to follow this  
B7X7-900

GTX 980, 970 QUESTION

It may be too early to speculate, but I was wondering what opinions might be had about the usefulness of the upcoming 8Gb models over the present 4Gb ones in Prepar3d. I'm guessing it may be down to single vs multi monitor use.

I have a GTX780ti now and am waiting for the GTX 980 8gb ti models to appear.  Should definitely work great for my single monitor.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

It will probably be down to what resolution you will be running. For simmers with multiple 4K displays then the future 8GB models would be the best option. But for simmers now with just a single display either 1440P or 4K, I think 4GB will be sufficient. Either way it will be interesting to see. I have a 1440p display and run it with a 770 so my 2GB arent enough. Definitely going to consider those new 980i.

Cheers

I just purchased a R9 295x2, it's an 8Gb watercooled monster, managed a good price.  Not sure how flight sim will like it.

Ian R Tyldesley

If you are using a single monitor then the extra RAM will tend to have little difference if any at all. The power of having the extra is for those running multiple screens, 2-3-4 etc

thanks,

Lewis

Lewis - A2A Simulations

I am getting the impression that the minimum desirable video memory for P3D is 4gb.  I see a lot of posts with 3gb memory close to being maxxed.  I see a lot of 770's with 4gb and I see a PNY GTX980 with 4gb.  I run two 23" monitors.so I am leaning towards ponying up the extra $170 for the 980 with 4gb.  Any thoughts out there?  I have ORBX global and fly the more complex addon aircraft generally.

Jeff Callender

It may be too early to speculate, but I was wondering what opinions might be had about the usefulness of the upcoming 8Gb models over the present 4Gb ones in Prepar3d. I'm guessing it may be down to single vs multi monitor use.

I wanted to wait for a GTX970 with 6 or 8 GB's. I wanted to be future proof for at least two or three P3D, and XP series.  Where did you read that there will be 8 GB's RTM'd?

Thanks,

Post Edit: Just found the following quote from the Guru of 3D site, which states:

Well, we've been saying that for a while now. But loose lips from an employee over at Overclockers in the UK claim that NVIDIA's GeForce 980 and GeForce GTX 970 reference cards will feature 4GB GDDR5 memory. SKUs with custom coolers and 8GB GDDR5 memory will follow at a later date and claims the 980 will be faster than the GeForce GTX 780. 

According to OCUK  the  GTX 970 and GTX 980 with 8GB models are expected somewhere between November and December. 

That's it...the above quote has made up my mind when I will purchase a GTX970-8GB.......around Xmas time....hey Mitch..."Merry Christmas!"....you are now future-proofed  :rolleyes:.

Mitch

you are now future-proofed

No Mitch.

To be future-proofed you will have to buy two of them and run SLI.  :excl:    B)

One of the things I was wondering specificaly was on the subject of OOMs. I seem to remember Rob Ainscough talking about flying fast aircraft close to the ground being one  of the most demanding senarios when it came to out of memory errors. Just wondering what impact 8 gigs of memory would have on that.

No Mitch.

To be future-proofed you will have to buy two of them and run SLI.  :excl:    B)

"Divorce...........divorce.....................................................................................divorce.....................................................alimony.......................................divorce........SLI...........".....

... GTX 980 with 8GB models are expected somewhere between November and December. 

That's the good news. The bad news is that they may still only be 28 nm and the performance increase over previous  GTX 700 generation equivalent cards will not be that impressive. It looks like nVidia is aiming for March 2015 for the flagship 20 nm GTX 900 series models. But you know how rumors rumors are.

That's the good news. The bad news is that they may still only be 28 nm and the performance increase over previous GTX 700 generation equivalent cards will not be that impressive. It looks like nVidia is aiming for March 2015 for the flagship 20 nm GTX 900 series models. But you know how rumors rumors are.

The 970 will out perform the 780 in all games and run on par with the 780ti with a slight OC I'm reading online that people are getting an easy 1500mhz out of the 970s which is a big jump from the stock 1100mhz and with that OC it kills the 780ti and runs on par with the 980. I have a 770 and am considering an upgrade as the 780 will net about 10 more fps and the 970 usually beats the 780 by 5-10 fps depending on the title so 10-15 fps for 350 isn't that bad

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Just upgraded from a 2gb Asus gtx 770 to the new MSI GTX 990 with 4gb. Have to say it runs brilliantly with Prepar3d. No stutters or texture issues and even with ASN Rex 4 clouds it's giving over 60fps at 1080P on a single monitor. Had to invest in serial cfg tweaks and other setting downgrades to get that kind of performance. Running a virgin stock cfg and then settings maxed out it is as smooth as butter.

Yes I know higher res and multiple monitors will get lower performance but the 970 is approx 50% more powerful running p3d than a 2gb 770.

I'm running it on an i7 4790k, msi gaming 7 motherboard, 16gb 2400 ram and 250gb Samsung SSD.

P3d pro is stock apart from Rex 4, ASN (networked) and UK Orbx scenary.

Interested to know if anyone else is similarly happy with the 970?

I meant to say it was the 970 runs that P3D brilliantly without any cfg or nvidia inspector tweaks, it was the 770 that needed them to run, even compromised image settings, at all well. The 970 is a bargain given the price performance ratio.

I'm almost prepared (sorry!) to believe the architecture of the 970 is somehow suited for running p3d very well indeed.

Sorry folks making a mess of this post, iphone won't let me edit anything. It's the GTX 970 I have NOT a '990' (doesn't even exist!) as mentioned about.

My experience with the GTX 970 has been mostly excellent....

My rig is built with an X99 mobo (ASRock X99M Extreme4) with a "base model" hex-core "Haswell" Core i7-5820K CPU (15MB L3 Cache / 16GB of quad-channel RAM - nothing crazy about the RAM clocking) with a factory-clocked 1.329 GHz NVidia GTX 970 (Gigabyte G1 "Gaming" card) w/4GB VRAM.  The CPU is OC'd to 4.0 GHz on air cooling.  My OS is 64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro (Windows "10" Tech Preview isn't stable yet).  I'm "blessed" with a Samsung EVO 840 500GB SSD - don't fly home without one.  The one and only monitor is a Samsung 1080p HDTV connected via a good quality HDMI cable.

I've got the following add-ons (and only the following add-ons so far) installed on top of Prepar3D v2.4:

-PILOT's - FS Global 2010 for FTX (25GB download for 9m resolution - hey, I'd happily download 2TB for 1m !!)

-Orbx - FTX: Global BASE (desperately waiting for Orbx OpenLC for North America)

-Orbx - FTX: Global VECTOR (has anyone else noticed the roads running through autogen buildings?)

-REX 4 (sprite clouds, c'mon man, give me a break!)

-PILOT's - FS Global Weather (I really like their implementation of flight sim weather)

-Freeware 737-700 (still waiting for a modern payware 737 for Prepar3D)

With the above configuration and sliders mostly maxed out with 4K textures (on an otherwise clean cfg) I'm seeing roughly 30 fps (max configured frame rate) flying at FL300 and above (just about anywhere, including mountainous terrain).  I'm seeing about 23 fps with default startup (F-35 at Nellis with default weather) during daytime.  I'm seeing roughly 15 fps departing from / landing at stock complex airports (day and night) - perfectly flyable in Prepar3Dv2.  Liberty Int'l in Newark starts at about 12 fps and can dip to below 7 (not really flyable) as I head for Manhattan, which has always been a good torture test for all the systems I've built since the early days of Microsoft FlightSim. 

Windows System Monitor shows me that one of the CPU cores is always maxed at 100%.  Depending on what I'm doing the hyper-threaded CPU hits over 60% total utilization so there's got to be some threading capabilities in Prepar3Dv2 (me thinks).  NVidia's included monitoring software indicates the GPU reaches a maximum of about 60% "utilization" (whatever that means) no matter where I fly in Prepar3D.  (Note that I can max out the video card with certain first person shooter games.)

Unfortunately lately occasionally/frequently I have problems getting Prepar3Dv2 to launch.  Could just be my rig (which is still new and requires more t-shooting) but Prepar3Dv2.4 will startup, load terrain data, then (before the cockpit is displayed) get stuck on a black screen and then just close (without an error message) after a few seconds.  Occasionally when loading weather, switching airports, etc, Prepar3D will crash with a "Prepar3d stopped working, checking for a solution" error (or just close with no message)...  This happened once while I pulled up a map to get ILS frequencies.... doesn't happen all the time though.  Not sure what this is at the moment... perhaps the CPU is overheating (it is rated for 66.8 C) or maybe OOM (being that Prepar3D is still 32-bit and all)? Could be the NVidia drivers (still no "official" support for FSX/Prepar3D).  I'm almost starting to think I've got an issue with my Saitek controllers....

THAT is my experience.  If someone tells you they are hitting 60 fps with a 4GB GTX 970 with a stock cfg and the above configuration, I'd like to know what type of nitrogen-cooled system they have fabricated.  Otherwise, I'd really like someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong.  :)

My experience with the GTX 970 has been mostly excellent....

My rig is built with an X99 mobo (ASRock X99M Extreme4) with a "base model" hex-core "Haswell" Core i7-5820K CPU (15MB L3 Cache / 16GB of quad-channel RAM - nothing crazy about the RAM clocking) with a factory-clocked 1.329 GHz NVidia GTX 970 (Gigabyte G1 "Gaming" card) w/4GB VRAM.  The CPU is OC'd to 4.0 GHz on air cooling.  My OS is 64-bit Windows 8.1 Pro (Windows "10" Tech Preview isn't stable yet).  I'm "blessed" with a Samsung EVO 840 500GB SSD - don't fly home without one.  The one and only monitor is a Samsung 1080p HDTV connected via a good quality HDMI cable.

I've got the following add-ons (and only the following add-ons so far) installed on top of Prepar3D v2.4:

-PILOT's - FS Global 2010 for FTX (25GB download for 9m resolution - hey, I'd happily download 2TB for 1m !!)

-Orbx - FTX: Global BASE (desperately waiting for Orbx OpenLC for North America)

-Orbx - FTX: Global VECTOR (has anyone else noticed the roads running through autogen buildings?)

-REX 4 (sprite clouds, c'mon man, give me a break!)

-PILOT's - FS Global Weather (I really like their implementation of flight sim weather)

-Freeware 737-700 (still waiting for a modern payware 737 for Prepar3D)

With the above configuration and sliders mostly maxed out with 4K textures (on an otherwise clean cfg) I'm seeing roughly 30 fps (max configured frame rate) flying at FL300 and above (just about anywhere, including mountainous terrain).  I'm seeing about 23 fps with default startup (F-35 at Nellis with default weather) during daytime.  I'm seeing roughly 15 fps departing from / landing at stock complex airports (day and night) - perfectly flyable in Prepar3Dv2.  Liberty Int'l in Newark starts at about 12 fps and can dip to below 7 (not really flyable) as I head for Manhattan, which has always been a good torture test for all the systems I've built since the early days of Microsoft FlightSim. 

Windows System Monitor shows me that one of the CPU cores is always maxed at 100%.  Depending on what I'm doing the hyper-threaded CPU hits over 60% total utilization so there's got to be some threading capabilities in Prepar3Dv2 (me thinks).  NVidia's included monitoring software indicates the GPU reaches a maximum of about 60% "utilization" (whatever that means) no matter where I fly in Prepar3D.  (Note that I can max out the video card with certain first person shooter games.)

Unfortunately lately occasionally/frequently I have problems getting Prepar3Dv2 to launch.  Could just be my rig (which is still new and requires more t-shooting) but Prepar3Dv2.4 will startup, load terrain data, then (before the cockpit is displayed) get stuck on a black screen and then just close (without an error message) after a few seconds.  Occasionally when loading weather, switching airports, etc, Prepar3D will crash with a "Prepar3d stopped working, checking for a solution" error (or just close with no message)...  This happened once while I pulled up a map to get ILS frequencies.... doesn't happen all the time though.  Not sure what this is at the moment... perhaps the CPU is overheating (it is rated for 66.8 C) or maybe OOM (being that Prepar3D is still 32-bit and all)? Could be the NVidia drivers (still no "official" support for FSX/Prepar3D).  I'm almost starting to think I've got an issue with my Saitek controllers....

THAT is my experience.  If someone tells you they are hitting 60 fps with a 4GB GTX 970 with a stock cfg and the above configuration, I'd like to know what type of nitrogen-cooled system they have fabricated.  Otherwise, I'd really like someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong.  :)

Could be because of your sliders maxed out ? I have Dense and Very dense autogen settings but think i can hit 40-60fps (unlimited though) on the default startup with my system. All other sliders to the right above on that side (tessellation,LOD etc)

I think getting 22-26 fps with a certain 737-800WL in EGLL using Aerosoft and ORBX UK with the above settings and water on ULTRA but with moderat reflections settings is nice. This is my stress layout area.

Michael

i7-4770K@4,7GHZ

GTX780SC@1110MHZ

Raptor 250GB HDD

8GB DDR3 1600MHZ

1920x1200 monitor 28" 

Edit: Maybe i misunderstood your fine explanation, Thanks for stress testing your system so we can bench.

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png