Sign in to follow this  
B7X7-900

GTX 980, 970 QUESTION

Thank you much, Michael, I appreciate the feedback.  I tried lowering the sliders, LOD, mesh complexity, etc. and I'm still encountering difficulty with getting Prepar3Dv2.4 to load successfully, particularly in full-screen mode.  Wish I could hit 4.7GHz with my Haswell-E CPU.  Water cooling beckons....

Also, received my very first official OOM from Prepar3D on a planned 737-700 flight from Buffalo, NY (USA) to Green Bay, Wisconsin in the terrible cold-snap today (18-Nov-2014) with current weather downloaded by PILOT's FS Global Weather.  The OOM occurred while flying by Lansing, Michigan while I was in external view waiting for the stock Lansing airport scenery to load.  At that time all my sliders were set all the way to the right with a 2K texture setting.  REX4 was configured with compression, i.e. not the 32-bit textures, btw.

For those of you who have not followed this thread recently, my system is based on a hex-core Haswell-E CPU (15MB of L3 Cache RAM) with 16GB of system RAM and 4GB of video RAM (more details are contained in my post from earlier today).  Obviously this rig has more than enough resources to handle whatever I throw at it (short of real-world weather modeling, real-time ray tracing, data mining, or terraforming - ha!) and I was indeed getting at least 15 fps in most situations (perfectly flyable in Prepar3Dv2).  This, however, was the first time I had flown in snowy conditions....

It is a sad state of affairs that LM is still releasing a simulator based on a 32-bit engine, which limits addressable RAM to 2GB.  Computer hardware is now capable of driving LOD "Max" and terrain mesh "Ultra/Max", but the 32-bit engine is apparently not up to the task.  Hmmmm.... perhaps my NVidia GTX 970 needs to be replaced with the 8GB model when it arrives next month... Does anyone know of a utility I can use to monitor memory utilization of a 970/980?

Here's hoping this 32-bit limitation gets "addressed" in Prepar3Dv3... or v4... or v5... (or before I'm too old and feeble to build/enjoy fs rigs)!

-=Tim=-

Actually my default setup as of P3DV2 hits 85fps unlimited and not 40-60.my bad

Michael

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png