Sign in to follow this  
CavalierDuck

Orbx Pacific Northwest Tour: Oregon Leg 3, Northern Cascades

Orbx PNW Tour, Oregon Leg 3: Southern WA / Northern OR Cascades

The theme for the next two legs of the tour will be the Cascade Mountains.  We'll pick up our aircraft where we left off at The Dalles, work our way round the principal peaks of southern Washington and northern Oregon, and finish this leg at Bend/Redmond airport.

Taking off from The Dalles (KDLS), we head directly for our first high peak, Mt Adams, followed by a circuit of the volcanic landscape around Mt St Helens, well-known from its eruption in 1980. We then visit two small airstrips in southwest Washington, Walter Sutton's (WA79) and Goheen (W52).  We now cross the Columbia River Gorge again, stopping briefly at Cascade Locks (KCZK) before starting the climb up to our next peak, the spectacular Mt Hood.  Continuing south along the Cascades the route takes us past Mt Jefferson to our next stop at Santiam Junction (8S3).  We can swing past pass the perfect symmetrical cone of Black Butte on the way to our penultimate stop at Lake Billy Chinook (5S5).  Our route for the day finishes at Bend/Redmond airport (KRDM).  For evening refreshments I recommend Deschutes Brewery in downtown Bend.

For a 250nm leg we want an aircraft capable of around 160-170kts or better, and as we finish at KRDM, the home of Lancair, this leg surely calls for one of their creations, if you have one available.  I will be in a Legacy.

Recommended Scenery:

- Orbx FTX Pacific Northwest (PNW) Regional Scenery

- Orbx Walter Sutton's and Goheen (optional)

The Skyvector flightplan is available here.  FSX flight plan to follow.

Date and time: Saturday 27th September, 19:00 UTC

Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel

Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com

Multiplayer: FSX Multiplayer (IP will be provided on Teamspeak)

A beautiful design, Nick. Wonderful scenery with a few entertaining airports to keep up the interest. Looking forward to this one.

FWIW. Here is a rendition of the flight plan for FSX and PlanG.

--M

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Legacy sounds good till you get to Walter Sutton's. :unsure:  I'll have a ponder on that. On reflection, it can't be any worse than the C310 last week!

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I was able to get out of Walter Sutton's in the Legacy, but it was very close. Make sure you attempt your takeoff in the correct direction.  Once you have got your gear up you should try the Sawmill departure procedure. :smile2:

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Legacy sounds good till you get to Walter Sutton's. :unsure:  I'll have a ponder on that. On reflection, it can't be any worse than the C310 last week!

I was able to get out of Walter Sutton's in the Legacy, but it was very close. Make sure you attempt your takeoff in the correct direction.  Once you have got your gear up you should try the Sawmill departure procedure. :smile2:

I did test fly in and out of Walter Sutton's in the Legacy before deciding on the route.  I figured that if I could do it, everyone else should be ok!

I did test fly in and out of Walter Sutton's in the Legacy before deciding on the route.

I've been playing... *ehem*... simming with the A2A B-17G this week... I just tried and was able to shoehorn myself into Walter Sutton's.  Will be using jankees repaint of 'Suzy Q'

http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/1474-a2a-b-17g-19th-bg-suzy-q/

Here's Rob showing us how it is done at W52.

Great%2BOzzie%2B1.jpg

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png