Sign in to follow this  
baldk9

PC-12 Problems

For those that don't have the Flight1 PC-12, it's still a great plane and works fine in DX10 in FSX.  The visuals are a little cartoonish in the VC and there are some minor switch bugs, but it's truly fun to fly.  It's less $$$ than the Carenado but not by much.  Maybe Flight1 would put it on sale.

I'm tempted to wait for all of the reasons that others mentioned:

A/P code

cabin lights switch

soundset

frame hit

#3, what you described is correct.

Meaning it is wrong or are you saying this is correctly modeled?

Heavy sigh.  Yet...another...pass.  They had the same thing in their King Air and I just couldn't see 'owning' a new King Air that had a normal, commonly used autopilot feature that was eternally broken.  Should be possible to hack one if the button worked. 

It'll be pretty to watch in other people's screen shots.

I've often wished a developer would release a stand alone GA autopilot, that included a IAS mode.......  that we could then add to aircraft like Carenado's, substituting it (even if just as a pop up) for their basic default FSX autopilots.    Would be great huh?

To a developer, coding a IAS / FLC gauge cannot be insurmountable, after all, think of all the devs who have delivered airplanes with custom autopilotes that use a IAS / FLC mode that works perfectly;  PMDG, Level D, Aerosoft, Milviz (732 & 350i), feelThere, Flight 1 (DC-9, Mustang and T182T), Majestic, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Would be great to have an addon AP that includes this functionality.

Fact of the day, #324:     The Flight 1 PC-12 on this occasion, used exactly the same 'fudge' as Carenado's for the IAS mode.  It utilized the FS9 / FSX default autothrottle to hold speed.   :wacko:           Since then, in Flight 1's subsequent releases, like the Cessna Mustang, King Air, and T182T, they have used a custom IAS mode coding, (integrated in to the GFC700 AP) that works perfectly and realistically.

Meaning it is wrong or are you saying this is correctly modeled?

There should be an Off/50%/100% Cockpit Dome and Off/On Cockpit Flood switches. For the Cabin Light, there is a Off/50%/100% Flood switch and Off/On Reading switch.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

I've often wished a developer would release a stand alone GA autopilot, that included a IAS mode.......  that we could then add to aircraft like Carenado's, substituting it (even if just as a pop up) for their basic default FSX autopilots.    Would be great huh?

To a developer, coding a IAS / FLC gauge cannot be insurmountable, after all, think of all the devs who have delivered airplanes with custom autopilotes that use a IAS / FLC mode that works perfectly;  PMDG, Level D, Aerosoft, Milviz (732 & 350i), feelThere, Flight 1 (DC-9, Mustang and T182T), Majestic, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Would be great to have an addon AP that includes this functionality.

Fact of the day, #324:     The Flight 1 PC-12 on this occasion, used exactly the same 'fudge' as Carenado's for the IAS mode.  It utilized the FS9 / FSX default autothrottle to hold speed.   :wacko:           Since then, in Flight 1's subsequent releases, like the Cessna Mustang, King Air, and T182T, they have used a custom IAS mode coding, (integrated in to the GFC700 AP) that works perfectly and realistically.

Its not insurmountable but its far from easy either. I spent approx. 3 months tuning the PID algorithms for the SP-177 in the Milviz 732 because technical data on it couldn't seem to be found. Its a highly complex endeavor that requires a good knowledge of both math and C++ programming. If Carenado only uses XML they would be in a tough spot.

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

Can the flight dynamics, like the cfg. be copied from one like plane to another? Like the Flight1 Pc-12 to the Carenado PC-12? I have always felt that the Carenado planes, while good in their own right, were way to twitchy.

Its not insurmountable but its far from easy either. I spent approx. 3 months tuning the PID algorithms for the SP-177 in the Milviz 732 because technical data on it couldn't seem to be found. Its a highly complex endeavor that requires a good knowledge of both math and C++ programming. If Carenado only uses XML they would be in a tough spot.

Sure that's true, but that's why I said 'not insurmountable' and not 'easy'  :smile: ...... many would argue that at the price point that Carenado's planes are now going out at, they should be able to expect some serious custom gauge programming, as per the sort you've referred to for your custom stuff in the MV 732.      

I think lack of custom coding is the main reason that people are often inclined to describe Carenado's products as "flying textures".  It's the fact that, for all the dressing, underneath the 'skin' they're always confined to default FSX functionality, even where this greatly detracts from realism.

Can the flight dynamics, like the cfg. be copied from one like plane to another? Like the Flight1 Pc-12 to the Carenado PC-12? I have always felt that the Carenado planes, while good in their own right, were way to twitchy.

Yes you can and I agree (with the Phenom)

As a matter of fact I was going to trial this FDE which had a real pc-12 pilot as the tester:

http://www.rikoooo.com/en/downloads/viewdownload/22/145

Instructions

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?58726-Swapping-AIR-files&s=4b0ce2a03882759df86055e6a3a77654&p=637691&viewfull=1#post637691

The PC12 was designed to do approach landings with a nose down configuration.  This is to aid the pilot when landing at extreme alpine airports.

It is not a design flaw as newbie fliers of the aircraft first think..

James (jaydor)

"Let me X-Plane where I fly in 2020"

2) Bert - You are right.... I dont understand the AP Alt selector. When you click ALT it zero's out the preset? Is that right? And you cant really enable it until the AP master is on.. Weird system and I  do not know if its correct.

I've changed it so that you can select and arm the altitude with just FD on.. when you turn on the AP, the settings remain, which is the way I am used to seeing it.

Bert

I've changed it so that you can select and arm the altitude with just FD on.. when you turn on the AP, the settings remain, which is the way I am used to seeing it.

That is excellent news!  That logic has always driven me nuts on other addons.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

That is excellent news!  That logic has always driven me nuts on other addons.

Let me know if you would like to test my first mods, sometime.. in return, I expect some feedback  ^_^

Bert

Hi Bert,

I'd like to have those mods for the AP if possible. Thanks.

Regards

Real Deraps