Sign in to follow this  
Tushka

Bad news... robot pilot built!

lol, what's the big deal? You sound like someones grandad :-)

Rob Prest

Interesting article, and honestly I find it cool to see how technology advances.This may of course be a dangerous technology as well, but as long as it's used for civilian aviation only (granted that this technology proves to be able to handle all possible situations and it gets the necessary permissions), I don't really see an issue. Just think of subway trains - they move without a driver in many cities of the world already.

However, I think that an actual human will always have to be present in the cockpit. Just think of siuations that are beyond a computer's "decision making capabilities" (if you can call it such), e.g. unruly passengers or medical emergencies. Programming such things would just be impossible. And I think nothing beats the "seat-of-pants feel" of the pilot if the instruments should fail

I'm not a granddad, and honestly not as old as you think... It's quite the contrary.

However as for driverless subway trains there has been a lot of controversy about it and it could have a very negative effect as I have many friends who work in the Minsk metro. The reason for this is because I used to work in the stations a very long time ago and they fear they could loose their jobs if London technology arrives to Belarus.

Science is good, but at the same time it puts people out of work. My mother had two professions and technology replaced them both hence she has to go into early retirement (and pension is nothing). Sure, it's great that we have it, simulators wouldn't exist without advancing technology, but at the same time it might replace us all as capitalist companies are extremely greedy and wouldn't care until nobody has money to buy their products anymore.

Not to mention the stupid sex education, my sister when she attended  high school was talking to me all about it which are just stupid things that I fortunately never got to learn about I worked instead in a small capital contrary to her in the capital, hence I fortunately spared myself that nonsence education about sex science.

As someone that spends a fair bit of time in London I have come to appreciate the DLR driverless trains, they never strike about pay conditions or time off.

Anyway, driverless trains & cars (coming soon) have nothing to do with having a physical robot sitting at the controls. Same deal with aircraft. We will see drone aircraft (freighters) operating a lot sooner than Captain Robot MK1 at the controls.

Rob Prest

So what are you saying tushka. That this robot is a sex machine as well?

www.antsairplanes.com

So what are you saying tushka. That this robot is a sex machine as well?

LOL, not sex machine. Never mind, just science teach us things we shouldn't know. Life's no fun without the "unexplainable"

As someone that spends a fair bit of time in London I have come to appreciate the DLR driverless trains, they never strike about pay conditions or time off.

Anyway, driverless trains & cars (coming soon) have nothing to do with having a physical robot sitting at the controls. Same deal with aircraft. We will see drone aircraft (freighters) operating a lot sooner than Captain Robot MK1 at the controls.

What if they built an automated commercial addon developer as replacement? (probably won't be in 50 years from now), then your opinion would be different...

Also a lot of call centers have robot on the phone, which makes things more complicated if anyone have such experience.

My job that I'm currently holding, might get replaced by a robot... in less than 10 years.

What if they built an automated commercial addon developer as replacement? (probably won't be in 50 years from now), then your opinion would be different...

No it wouldn't, in fact an automated bit of software that could develop complex addons would be brilliant! anyway my main job is not developing addons..  Call center technology is still in it's infancy, it has come a long way since they first started using voice recogniction.  For example, I find my Banks automated service much faster and clearer then talking to someone outsourced in India.

Sorry to hear about your job but that's just life. The brutal truth is if your skill is dying out then it's time to learn a new skill.  (Edit - I'm willing to take flak for that statement, its just my opinion!)

Rob Prest

No it wouldn't, in fact an automated bit of software that could develop complex addons would be brilliant!

Fair enough, then I would finally get my Il-62 with high quality virtual cockpit :)

Fair enough, then I would finally get my Il-62 with high quality virtual cockpit :)

lol could you imagine PMDG aircraft being created by AI!  'It will be ready when it's ready!'  Nope, it will be ready in 11 day's 4 hours and 23 seconds ;-)

Rob Prest

lol, what's the big deal? You sound like someones grandad :-)

The problem is that it screws people like me, pilots out of a job. People who've spent 50k to get a 4 year degree and who knows what on training just to make 20k a year flying a RJ around, now they have the 1500 rule which makes it even harder to make this a career and to top it all off they want to replace us with R2D2. They say its to make the skys safer Bull$^×£ its to make it cheaper for the airlines so the green eye'd monsters in the board room can tack on that much more to their bonus check. With the desire to replacing every worker in every industry with robots, who do these companies think will buy their products when no one has a job?

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

With the desire to replacing every worker in every industry with robots, who do these companies think will buy their products when no one has a job?

This is exactly what I was wondering as well. The job market globally is currently really bad and getting worse at a speeding rate. The poorer are getting poorer and the richer are getting richer. But when nobody will have money to buy their products I guess we will already have been in either a war or  revolution.

The problem is that it screws people like me, pilots out of a job. People who've spent 50k to get a 4 year degree and who knows what on training just to make 20k a year flying a RJ around, now they have the 1500 rule which makes it even harder to make this a career and to top it all off they want to replace us with R2D2. They say its to make the skys safer Bull$^×£ its to make it cheaper for the airlines so the green eye'd monsters in the board room can tack on that much more to their bonus check. With the desire to replacing every worker in every industry with robots, who do these companies think will buy their products when no one has a job?

They don't think that far ahead.  Only as far as the next bonus cheque, i suspect.

I think you need to get a reality check..  No robots are taking your flying job :/  most if not all of us here will be long gone  & pushing daises before commercial airlines are running automated aircraft.  Think you need to slow down mate, the first automated car hasn't even gone on sale yet. 

And of course it is about safety..  Safety and reducing costs is and always will be the primary goal.

Rob Prest