Sign in to follow this  
~Craig~

Carenado PC-12 released

Does anyone have any salt?

.....to help me, while I EAT MY WORDS!    :lol: 

I've just watched the YouTube video by "Propane" (thanks for that), and noticed that power was indeed limited at 44lb/in2 on take-off and also that when Propane pulled back to climb power of 36ib/in2, the performance looked pretty much spot on.

I'm surprised and impressed - and off to buy this Carenado PC-12   :smile:

Sounds like Bernt Stolle was on board, no? He usually takes care of the FDE related items and delivered not only nice Carenado results.

Still, keep the reports coming. Systems, fps, you know the drill. ^_^

Afaik Bernt has been doing a stellar job on the release Carenado releases.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I think someone asked that about the Seneca and they said no plans at this time. Honestly I'd guess it's not hard it's similar to RXP... The modeling can't be too tough with the knobs and bezel. Just my opinion though.

Maybe I'll ask and provide them with a link to the GTN stuff. It would make a great P3D aircraft for me.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Interested in your flights, FPS, etc. etc.  How about a small review from those who bought this.  I'm very interested in this plane.

Stan

I've posted my first impressions mostly in the "Pilatus PC12 (In development)" thread, but I'll copy some over to this one.

First impression:

Seems OK to me, but I don't have any experience on the real type. It feels quite nice, FPS takes a small hit but not bad overall. It has some cool sounds for alerts, something different from what you're used to in Boeings and Airbuses.

I'm not going to give any recommendation as I don't sim nearly enough to give this a proper review, but at first impression it seems like a solid add-on from Carenado. I use it in P3D 2.3 by the way.

Some info about torque limiting and flight model

Nearly full power yes, it seems to limit just fine to 44psi for takeoff. I was flying with an Xbox 360 controller, so no throttle axis, but I reduced power a bit below throttles against the stops.

Sounds about right from what you can see in my video. It will rotate by itself if you let it and the nose attitude with full flaps on landing makes it a bit different to flare, at the end you can see my landing was nearly a 3-pointer as well.

General feeling right now and a reply to some worries about taxi behaviour

Just did another flight and it taxies just fine. With the condition lever in Ground Idle and Power Lever at idle, it won't start rolling. Move the Condition Lever to Flight Idle and it will start rolling slowly, nothing unrealistic. Needs about 5psi torque to get moving properly and then about 3-5psi to keep up speed, depending on how fast you want to go.

So far, my only complaints are about the IAS mode that's missing and the weird way the altitude pre-select and VS mode works. No other issues for me personally, and the plane is fine for most flights unless you want to degrade such a fine airplane into another autopilot driven machine ;).

I've posted my first impressions mostly in the "Pilatus PC12 (In development)" thread, but I'll copy some over to this one.

Your reviews have been great...much needed.  Thanks.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Over 1000 hours in the real airplane, It looks nice but has some flaws. The EADI is not accurate in that the heading tape is not pinned to the airplane symbol as it is in the sim. In real life it remains on the horizon line, the AOA indication in real life is far more dynamic than  in the sim although it is nice that the effort was made to include it. When doing a take off with the separator open the torque should be higher than 36.9, closer to a min of 42.1 at sea level, separator closed take off torque is pretty accurate. Most other systems are quite basic, not truly representing the actual functions of the plane (ex: EFIS control panel, composite mode switch, etc.). It is a very nice model though and fun to play around with. Maybe the EADI will be fixed some day. Overall for those wanting an introduction to Pilatus, its a nice product.

Over 1000 hours in the real airplane, It looks nice but has some flaws. The EADI is not accurate in that the heading tape is not pinned to the airplane symbol as it is in the sim. In real life it remains on the horizon line, the AOA indication in real life is far more dynamic than  in the sim although it is nice that the effort was made to include it. When doing a take off with the separator open the torque should be higher than 36.9, closer to a min of 42.1 at sea level, separator closed take off torque is pretty accurate. Most other systems are quite basic, not truly representing the actual functions of the plane (ex: EFIS control panel, composite mode switch, etc.). It is a very nice model though and fun to play around with. Maybe the EADI will be fixed some day. Overall for those wanting an introduction to Pilatus, its a nice product.

Great write up. Thanks. Should realism fans keep flying the Flight1 PC12? Even though it is missing some systems.

Great write up. Thanks. Should realism fans keep flying the Flight1 PC12? Even though it is missing some systems.

I wouldn't say the Flight1 PC-12 offers any further realism over and above the Carenado PC-12.

The Flight1 PC-12 still has no proper IAS/Pitch mode on the autopilot (it uses autothrottle, like the Carenados), and doesn't have a lot of systems functionality.   The FDE per torque value may be a little closer with the Flight1, but you have to then put up with c.2006 texturing.

I'm not biting for the Carenado PC-12 just yet...... but certainly if I desperately wanted a PC-12 and did not own the Flight 1 version, I would say the Carenado is still the one to go for at this point.      Just a shame they don't do any custom coding for things like the IAS mode, and more of the systems.

In my opinion if you are wanting to hand fly for IFR practice the Flight1 Pilatus is better using the 2d cockpit. Neither autopilot or flight director works properly in certain modes. The EIS on the Flight1 model is more accurate in terms of digital fuel readout as the carenado version doesnt seem to reflect the fuel load correctly. Carenado did a nice job on the exterior model and cockpit visuals for the most part.

Afaik Bernt has been doing a stellar job on the release Carenado releases.

Dont think Bernt has been working on the Carenado FDE's for some time now