Sign in to follow this  
RockOla

A 670 vs 970 comparison. Brace yourself, spectacular results

1080P isn't a terribly demanding resolution, I don't suppose you have a higher resolution screen available?  Would you be willing to try out the DSR feature and see if it works with P3D's full screen windowed mode?

I finished mounting the card late yestarday so had not much time to test out deeper.

I enabled DSR in the global parameters and it did not seem to have any effect.

I will test it again tonight, and keep you updated.

I enabled DSR in the global parameters and it did not seem to have any effect.

I guess you have to chose this in P3D v2.3 at the resolution too.

Spirit

Ok, let's say I was very tired  :rolleyes:

Understand. No need to rush. :lol:

Spirit

Wow, really considering going for the upgrade for a 970 and a new i5. From a 570 and a 2500k I would hope otd be a big upgrade. I just want something that can handle FTX AU airports such as Melbourne, day/night, hail/shine, with a bit of traffic in the NGX? Is that too much to ask, probably is haha. Not sure about anyone else here but if I tried that on my current system it has to be optimal conditions to be able to have a smooth approach. Anyone have a similar setup and could share some results?

From everything I have read going from a 780 to a 980 will show an improvement but only slight. Not worth the $$ unless you just have a lot of spare cash. It's the "bang for the buck" that's not there in those cases.

Going from the 6 series, etc is a much better outlay of funds.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I am curious about the performance difference between de 890 and 780 ( TI ) / Titan.

980 is 10% faster than a 780 Ti.

And I was planning to sit on my 660ti until the spring refresh... I don't think that's going to happen now, not after seeing those results!

Going from a 770 to a 980 has not been a big wow factor. I am not seeing much of a frame rate improvement, in fact I am seeing strange up and down spikes which I did not have before. However, I am able to move a few sliders to the right that before would have caused a significant dip in frames. I will test different aircraft and sceneries this weekend but it doesn't seem to be worth the money coming from a 770 and higher card. Also, the card is never higher than 50% load, the 770 was usually at 85%-100%. I think this would mean that my bottle neck is now my cpu which is a 4770k@4.6ghz. Can anyone chime in?

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

Understand. No need to rush. :lol:

Spirit

Ok, I just gave DSR a try

And...

It's not gonna be very useful as is.

- 1st, I cannot force more than 2x DSR

- 2nd, I have to untick and re-tick "black out desktop" to force applying the new resolution (not a very big issue)

- 3rd, AA is much more efficient with 8xSGSAA : less FPS impact, and better visual quality (see below) without scaling the whole UI down (basically 2 times tinier with 2x DSR)

ebbff326-58e4-4def-968c-e2d471452fba.jpg

I have just taken delivery of a 970 Jetstream ....

One word of warning .. this card had 1 x DVI .... 3 x Mini Displayport .... 1 x Mini HDMI inputs

I got around it by purchasing some 'Passive' adaptors and it works fine spanning P3D over three screens and a 4th screen for my moving map 

So ..if you do get a card with non standard inputs don't splash out lots of money on 'Active' adaptors ... they're not needed

Paul 

That's why I have already sold my Asus GTX660 and budgeting for the GTX970  :rolleyes:

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link                                                                                                                                                       

Going from a 770 to a 980 has not been a big wow factor. I am not seeing much of a frame rate improvement, in fact I am seeing strange up and down spikes which I did not have before. However, I am able to move a few sliders to the right that before would have caused a significant dip in frames. I will test different aircraft and sceneries this weekend but it doesn't seem to be worth the money coming from a 770 and higher card. Also, the card is never higher than 50% load, the 770 was usually at 85%-100%. I think this would mean that my bottle neck is now my cpu which is a 4770k@4.6ghz. Can anyone chime in?

what kind of aa are you using

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I had an opportunity today to test an EVGA 780 SC and an EVGA 970 SC in the same system running P3D. As expected, performance was nearly identical measured by FRAPS: 37.35 FPS with the 780 and 37.478 with the 970 in one flight and 59.44 and 59.02 in another flight with reasonably high settings for shadows, AA, and SGSS.