Sign in to follow this  
scottsware

Stutters and Ram Frequency

The sim was running very smooth except for frequent 2-3 frame stutters.  This was annoying me so to track down the problem I turned down all the sliders and any display settings that would reduce FPS.  I turned off every thing I could.  I then flew in circles and let the sim settles into a constant bank and pitch and watch for the stutters.  Every 5-10 seconds I would get the small stutters (or long frames).  I have a R290X video card and a 4790K.  I figured at the lowest settings I should be able to fly a 360 without the slightest stutter.

I couldn’t get rid of the stutter so I uninstalled P3D then reinstalled and flew circles with the stock P3D install.  I had the exact same stutters.

Here is how I got rid of this problem.  I have 2 X 4GB of Corsair ram (CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9) and it was running at 1866 using the XMP profile.  When I upped the frequency to 2133 and ran P3D the stutters were gone.  As a side note, when I say upped the frequency that’s all I did, I left the timing settings on auto and let the sabertooth z87 take care of the rest.

I reinstalled all the usual add-ons and I can now run P3D at very high settings on a 4K monitor(the stuttering was the same on the 4K or a single 1920X1080 monitor)

It seems the ram couldn’t supply the 4790K CPU fast enough.  Now I can zoom all over the place using one 4K monitor and two 1920X1080 monitors (one on top of the other to match the 4K height and placed to the left of the 4K)  with the over-clocked ram.

This might be something for people with stutters to look at.  There is a long history of discussions of ram frequency and latency, I didn’t think it applied to todays computers but I guess it still matters.

Thanks for the information. Interesting aspect.

Spirit

PS: Did the same with X.M.P. setting to 2133. Have to check if there's some improvement, but I had no problems before so it may hard to see the difference.

It is fairly well know among gamers that high-speed RAM can reduce stutters in the more graphically demanding games. I just never considered that this might also reduce P3D's stutters ... mainly because I've never had much for stutters ... but when I ordered this computer, I added high-speed RAM, at 2133MHz.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE