Sign in to follow this  
wde12

Weather Radar / Windshear & Microbursts

I tried to find an answer on Active Sky forums but was unsuccessful, so I'm trying my luck here. 

I've been trying to figure out how to load weather into ASN that would trigger the 777 radar's windshear alert. On a related note, I'm also trying to figure out how to create a microburst on ASN while flying the 777. Does anyone know how to set up these conditions - I'm dying to see how it is with the 777. 

Does anyone know how to set up these conditions - I'm dying to see how it is with the 777. 

I haven't stabbed around enough to find out the function, but I've seen it work in the sim multiple times because of a line of thunderstorms that came through the DC Area (pretty much on top of BWI).  I somehow managed to knock ASN into a "frozen" state where the weather got stuck like that for an entire week (until I realized it didn't refer to whatever active mode).  It definitely made things interesting (in a good way) for testing the beta versions.

If I can find the date/time I had it stuck on, I'll let you know.  Set it to that date/time.  Take off from IAD, fly to BWI, and enjoy the windshear warnings.

I'll get back to you if I can find it.  I know I was talking to someone via a chat program or text message about it, so I can probably look at the timestamps to get a good idea.

Kyle Rodgers

If I can find the date/time I had it stuck on, I'll let you know

Much appreciated. I also searched for downloads for ASN to load in manual mode but was unsuccessful. Might have to just use trial and error in the meantime I guess

Much appreciated. I also searched for downloads for ASN to load in manual mode but was unsuccessful. Might have to just use trial and error in the meantime I guess

Looks like I was talking to Ryan (Tabs) about it on 8.July at around 1900 local. Hammered BWI. Have a look then.

Kyle Rodgers

Fastest way to do it is using the ASN debug window. You can instantly create a microburst or wake turbulence.

Rob Prest

It works great. Even if you have the weather radar off, when the PWS detects windshear it turns on by itself. I flew into a microburst on short final once, even full go around thrust wasn't enough to stop the plane from sinking, I had to push the throttles to the forward stop before the plane would stop descending. I loved these big GE engines even more since then.

I got my first windshear warning the other night as I was turning final on visual approach into Auckland. Quite surprised, given there no CBs around, just cloud and drizzle. But there must have been a wind shift out there somewhere. Because it was off course, I never flew through it. But very cool to see on the display. 

I got the wind shear warning by setting the conditions in ASN to "thunder storms".

The alert came on about 1/2 mile from the runway.  I figure let's try to land anyway - it was a mistake.  It was impossible to control the plane.  I had to power up and abort. 

Paul Gugliotta

Looks like I was talking to Ryan (Tabs) about it on 8.July at around 1900 local. Hammered BWI. Have a look then.

Loading it up now on ASN. Actually my first time using historical feature. 

Fastest way to do it is using the ASN debug window. You can instantly create a microburst or wake turbulence.

Right before you posted this I saw the debug page in the manual. How the $&%! did I miss this? I've browsed this manual a few times. I guess the keyword here is 'browsed' but in hindsight, I think the word 'debug' threw me off, since even today I don't think I fully understand what 'debug' even means. 

Does anyone know how to set up these conditions - I'm dying to see how it is with the 777.

I read your post/request just the other day.

Although your question seems to be already answered, I could imagine that the thread mentioned below could be interesting for you:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/447126-asnwxr-pws-microburst-experience/?p=3037108

BTW: under these conditions it is easy to locate the windshear as it is depicted in the ASN WX map. But do not forget to keep flying at/below 1200 ft AGL, because the PWS alert will be triggered only at that low hights. :unsure:

Than head into this and do the right thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxXwqAm1a-Y

B)