Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy RFR

Looking for 2D Autopilot Gauges

As the title suggests, I'm looking for alternative 2D autopilot gauges for use primarily as a 2D popup, as well as a replacement in certain planes where there isn't any 3D modelling to get in the way on the radio stack.

More importantly, I'm looking for the most realistic representations of these gauges, ones that offer a very close copy of real world functionality.  Which means that, for example, the 2D gauges used by Carenado on many of their older offerings simply aren't useful enough, as they are pretty much just a different graphic on top of the default FSX implementation.  Some newer GA releases seem to have very fully featured autopilots, but with the focus nowadays on fully 3D gauges, they often don't have anything useable that I can use as a popup.

Any suggestions?

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Check out this (unusual) Meggitt unit, in the AVSIM File library.    I use this as an upgrade in a few CAR aircraft:-      

(Note, don't get excited, the 'IAS mode' in this just holds pitch :wink: .. all other modes are good)

meggitt2100_fsx.zip

sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&I

For something a little older, I use this also in a couple of CAR/ALA aircraft  (it's a FS9 gauge but works perfectly in FSX) :-

fp_c2v2.zip

sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&I

Some source code could be nice there.  Perhaps it could be fixed.  I've been pondering the Carenado problem and wonder if it would take an entirely custom autopilot or if it could be that a hack for IAS would work. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Check out (snip)

I'm pretty sure I've looked at that Meggitt one and discarded it, if I recall it had some pretty basic cludges in it that made it look pretty, but that was about it.  The Century one could be useful, and it's not like I'd be expecting much realism / depth there!

I've been pondering the Carenado problem and wonder if it would take an entirely custom autopilot or if it could be that a hack for IAS would work.

I started building a custom autopilot from scratch; I've since decided I have far too many irons in the fire to finish it. :lol:

I do know of a few others: RXP includes a decent looking STEC 55X with their FLN package that I'm guessing is fairly complete, and Friendly Panels offers a KAP-140 and a KFC-225 that look to be complete in terms of functionality.   I guess I'm just wondering if there's any slightly older planes (offering 2D panels) out there with really good custom implementations that I'm unaware of.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I guess I'm just wondering if there's any slightly older planes (offering 2D panels) out there with really good custom implementations that I'm unaware of.

Short answer is probably no.

Some source code could be nice there.  Perhaps it could be fixed.  I've been pondering the Carenado problem and wonder if it would take an entirely custom autopilot or if it could be that a hack for IAS would work. 

I don't think any type of hack would work because there is no native IAS/Pitch functionality in FSX.  So custom coded IAS gauges within autopilots such as the NGX's FLCH mode, or the Q400's IAS mode have to undertake real-time algorhythms to determine current vertical speed, current airspeed, power settings, the selected IAS/Pitch value, and they in effect 'tell' FSX a vertical speed (dynamically) to hold that will maintain the IAS.    

Now X-Plane on the other hand (a sim I don't use, I'll add), has had a native IAS/Pitch mode on all it's autopilots, since XP7  :wink:

I don't think any type of hack would work because there is no native IAS/Pitch functionality in FSX.

Well, it would be interesting to see how hard it would be to make an IAS.  Assuming your speed was above the IAS speed and you were well below the altitude, it should be possible to trim the nose up until it was around the speed.  After that, it's a matter of details and exceptions (it *always* ends up being details and exceptions...LOL).  But there are plenty of aircraft that have functioning IAS modes from which to draw example behaviors.  Off the top of my head, I have four. 

If someone had pseudocode, that would be an even better start.   

I do know of a few others: RXP includes a decent looking STEC 55X with their FLN package that I'm guessing is fairly complete, and Friendly Panels offers a KAP-140 and a KFC-225 that look to be complete in terms of functionality. I guess I'm just wondering if there's any slightly older planes (offering 2D panels) out there with really good custom implementations that I'm unaware of.

Yeah, I saw that STEC but getting gauges working in the dashes of the new Carenado planes seems a lot harder than it was in the old ones and I'm not a fan of popups.  It also doesn't have an IAS as far as I can see.  (It would be good in the Carenado Malibu aircraft, though.)

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

As the title suggests, I'm looking for alternative 2D autopilot gauges for use primarily as a 2D popup, as well as a replacement in certain planes where there isn't any 3D modelling to get in the way on the radio stack.

More importantly, I'm looking for the most realistic representations of these gauges, ones that offer a very close copy of real world functionality.  Which means that, for example, the 2D gauges used by Carenado on many of their older offerings simply aren't useful enough, as they are pretty much just a different graphic on top of the default FSX implementation.  Some newer GA releases seem to have very fully featured autopilots, but with the focus nowadays on fully 3D gauges, they often don't have anything useable that I can use as a popup.

Any suggestions?

The RealAir BK KFC225 autopilots are pretty functional, and my personal favorite, the Carenado Baron's BK KFC225 even has pitch and VS modes.

Bert

The RealAir BK KFC225 autopilots are pretty functional, and my personal favorite, the Carenado Baron's BK KFC225 even has pitch and VS modes.

Thanks Bert, which specific Real Air & Carenado planes are you talking about that have the KFC225 available as a 2D popup?  I was under the impression that none of the RealAir planes offered 2D popups!  I'm guessing the Carenado one is the Baron B58, since it offers a no-knob option...

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

The RealAir autopilot is in FS9_Radios.cab and the Baron autopilot is in APBK.cab - search for it on your system..

Bert