Sign in to follow this  
Perry333

Getting started Need help on couple thing

Hi , I am getting up to speed on the Dash ,. Need help with a couple of things. 1st not sure how to adjust the cabin pressure on the Dash8 keep getting cabin pressure warning light after I climb over a certian hieght. 2nd during start up checks we are suppose to check hyd #3 I believe it should be up but mine is shows no pressure not sure what I am missing, thanks for help.

The cabin alt is fully automated on the Q400, but it's generally restricted to FL250 due to most of the world fleet not carrying any passenger oxygen. All you need to do is manually set the landing alt, based off the airport charts for the arrival. A cabin pressure warning generally suggests something is set incorrectly on the pressurisation panel.

The number three hyd pump is for emergency use only (it will activate automatically) and is checked as part of the taxi checklist. Turn it on and you'll see its pressure rising. Exercise the yoke backwards and forwards and ensure that the pressure remains. Turn it off, pushing the guard cover back down and exercise the yoke back and forth again and observe the pressure drop. This means the check is complete.

NB I'm not a Q400 pilot, I just spent a week in a dark room with one. :)

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

keep getting cabin pressure warning light after I climb over a certian hieght.

I think this will also tend to happen if you have the engine bleed air switches off for improved take-off performance and forget to switch them back on as part of the after take-off checklist. (Yeah - I've done it myself!)

Cheers,

Nick

Nick M - A2A Simulations

One more question, when do you turn nose wheel steering off. I line up on runway put my brakes on turn off nose wheel steering then take off. the problem is I still have caution light on and cant turn it off. Is there something else to do. thanks

I'm not a Q400 professional, but I understand nose wheel steering should be ON for all stages of flight except engine start and shutdown. In other words, the before start checklist calls for it to be switched off, and it is switched on as part of the after start checklist.

I seem to recall reading that leaving it on during engine start can risk injury to ground crew operating the tow bar. This is because the nose wheel will turn up to 8° with rudder pedal depression, so it would move during the flight controls check.

(With nose wheel steering off for take-off/landings, you'd be relying on rudder control to correct drift which I imagine would be pretty ineffective at low speeds.)

Hope this helps,

Nick

Nick M - A2A Simulations

Yes, nose wheel steering on with the after start checklist and then off with the shutdown checklist upon arrival. 

As Nick says, it's extremely important not to switch it on during the pushback as at the very least there will be an expensive crunch as the nose wheel fights to straighten itself or if the bar is not attached to the tug it will viciously swing around, taking anything in its path with it.

One small fact from Josh about the nose wheel steering is that it takes around 8 seconds to pressurise, so don't attempt a turn immediately after turning it on....

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com