Sign in to follow this  
wa3pnt

Autopilot causes loss of aileron control

Flying FSX with Saitek Yoke.

When I load a FSX GA aircraft (C172, Mooney) and take off all controls operate normally.

When I load the same aircraft and engage the Autopilot before take without selecting a function such as altitude or heading, I loose aileron control.  Using an external view of the aircraft shows that the ailerons are operating correctly, but they do not control the aircraft attitude.

Selecting and then deselecting the Autopilot Heading returns the ailerons to normal operation.

Also after take off if I engage the Autopilot for only that altitude function I loose aileron control until selecting and then deselecting the heading function.

Has anyone else encountered this, and is there a fix?

RodeoGeorge

This is correct behavior as you will lose aileron control when engaging the autopilot. The autopilot will holds the wings level mode until you select a different mode such as HDG, NAV or APR.

It's kind of a rule that probably everyone follows.  Do not engage autopilot before take off.  It's

good to have all of the appropriate information programed in, heading, altitude, speed (if using

the autothrottle), just nothing engaged until after wheels up.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

As part of preflight checks on some small aircraft you need to engage and test for engagement and then disengage the autopilot and test for disengagement.

Thank you very much for the responses.

I searched the forum before posting and could not find the answers I've received.  I'm relieved that it's not a problem but rather proper operation.

RodeoGeorge