Sign in to follow this  
christiaan

Moving scenery to new HD

Have 2 HD's, the second has FS9 & FSX plus several aircraft, MSE & other photo sceneries, UT terrain, ground environments,

Mega Airports, FSGlobal 2008, ORBX Aust. etc. etc.

This HD is now running out of space , it may be possible to add a third HD.

Do not want to re-install FS9 & FSX, prefer to move scenery like the above mentioned add-ons to the new disc.

I know it will probably not remove stuttering when in "high density" areas which I have now.

Any suggestions if this is possible and which sceneries must be on same disc as the FlightSim"s.

Have 2 HD's, the second has FS9 & FSX plus several aircraft, MSE & other photo sceneries, UT terrain, ground environments,

Do not want to re-install FS9 & FSX, prefer to move scenery like the above mentioned add-ons to the new disc.

I know it will probably not remove stuttering when in "high density" areas which I have now.

Any suggestions if this is possible and which sceneries must be on same disc as the FlightSim"s.

Check out this post, it may help.

Its very easy to move sceneries around (most of em atleast). Before moving your FSX or FS9, wherever you have loaded your scenery... Just copy them (the scenery folders) over to a new disc in a new location and then change your scenery.cfg  to point to the new location. Thats it. No need to uninstall and reinstall any thing.  Your old registration etc would work. The only ones that may not work is the Orbx one...since they manage the location of the scenery in scenery.cfg. Most others you can move around.

Particularly your photosceneries... First copy them over to the new location. Rename your old folders something like TBD_(old scenery) name. Modify the scenery.cfg with the new location...test it out . If it works then delete the TBD_* (TBD = To be deleted). 

This way you would get large chunk of speace from your FSX/FS9 disks.

First try with one scenery. Then you would know what to do. 

Some examples from my scenery.cfg

[Area.305]
Title=MegaSceneryEarth California_011_050
Local=E:\FSX_Scenery\megaSceneryEarth\California_011_050
Layer=305
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.306]
Title=MegaSceneryEarth California_051_099
Local=E:\FSX_Scenery\megaSceneryEarth\California_051_099
Layer=306
Active=FALSE
Required=FALSE

[Area.307]
Title=MegaSceneryEarth Connecticut
Local=e:\MegaSceneryEarth\Connecticut
Layer=307
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.308]
Title=MegaSceneryEarth Boston Ultra Res
Local=E:\MegaSceneryEARTH_V2\CITY_BOSTON\Boston UltraRes
Layer=308
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Yeah, you can move many sceneries and just delete and re add them within the fsx scenery library or simply edit the scenery.cfg if you know how.

Be aware that some sceneries don't seem to work properly if you don't install to the default path though - I think ORBX maybe one.

Just try moving one or two of your sceneries and check it works OK. Once you've done that, you will get the hang of it and if you have problems, you can always move them back or reinstall them.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Thanks guy's for your suggestions.

I think altering the scenery cfg is probably the best way for me due to it's simplicity.

It may take a while before I decide about an extra HD but I do not need to worry is this was not possible.

Once again many thanks.