Sign in to follow this  
skytecuk

Any tips for performance improvement?

I just bought the 777 this morning, and I am so very impressed. 

However, two test flights so far interrupted by FSX messing around (what's new?)

First time was a fatal error. This was under 'normal' operations with Traffic 2 running, and Radar Contact for ATC. OK, I thought. maybe I will have to run this with traffic and radar contact OFF.

Second flight was under these conditions. However, this time, I lost joystick connectivity. 

I have researched this in the past and I have always prevented it by minimising memory usage. 

The problem is that I can't really do any more to free up performance. 

In both cases, the sim is running smoothly with no problems on view change, etc. 

Is there something I've missed? 

Here are my specs.:

Windows 8.1 Pro 

64bit

Intel Core i5 2500k

16 GB RAM

GTX550

Thanks in advance. 

Second flight was under these conditions. However, this time, I lost joystick connectivity. 
I have researched this in the past and I have always prevented it by minimising memory usage. 

This is a generic Windows 8 issue, actually. I thought there was a fix out there, but I'm not a Win8 user, so I never paid much attention to what it was.  I think it's related to some kind of power setting (for the USB port).

As far as performance tweaks, there's a whole section in the intro manual that you could take a look at.

Kyle Rodgers

I lost joystick connectivity

This is a generic Windows 8 issue, actually.

This problem also afflicted Windows 7 users and does not affect everyone. If it's not being caused by a driver/hardware issue, it's being caused by overloading FSX.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

it's being caused by overloading FSX

...I had nothing else running- not even traffic. Could it be something within Windows? 

Yes, could be a driver related problem, check with other aircraft.

FYI

Never ever lost the yoke or pedals on my WinXP 32. Saitek ProFlight Yoke and Saitek rudder pedals. Always working and are stable.

Per W Sweden

...I had nothing else running- not even traffic. Could it be something within Windows? 

yes it has something to do with the OS. if i were you  i'll just revert back to WIN 7 :)

Yes, that's probably a good idea, in many cases running Win7 will cure the problem with a non-compliant driver under Win8.

Completely losing joystick input now whenever I run PMDG 777. This is the only performance issue- but rather significant as I can't fly it!

I've installed UIAutomationCore.dll and running in compat for W XP SP1- at the moment. 

Thanks

Quick update:

Reduced target frame rate and autogen down to minimum. Joystick was connected when the flight loaded- 5 mins late it disconnected. I didn't even taxi. 

USB power mgt off on everything, but 5 mins into flight it shouldn't even be going to sleep. 

This issue has only happened with PMDG 777 so far. 

1. UiAutomationcore.dll v6.0.5840.16386 should be placed in the FSX program files folder (where we find FSX.EXE), dlls found there by FSX are loaded first. If it's not found there then UiAutomationcore.dll that comes with Windows will be loaded and in Win7 and Win8 it's not strictly compatible with FSX.

2. Altering compatibility settings on FSX is wrong.

3. Make sure FSX program files folder has the correct permissions before installing addons.

Really struggling now as I can't get any consistency. 

I played around with settings today, and generally the joystick would stop after 1-2 mins after startup. 

However, I made a Gatwick-Bermuda flight today- all fine until around 5,000ft... went to change view- and no input. 

Configured for autoland, and after turning onto localizer, joystick was back ! It stayed for the rest of the flight. 

Argh I was really hoping to avoid going back to Win 7. Work, etc is more important as I work from home, and I'm not sure what it would mean to downgrade to Win 7. I found it very very slow. 

Does anyone else have any tips? I heard FSPUIC could be used to control joysticks, but Pete Dowson has said that he doesn't see how that can be the case. It isn't a feature of FSUIPC as it uses the FSX architecture to manage the joysticks anyway. 

I don't get the disconnect often with other a/c. It happens immediately in most cases as soon as I load PMDG 777. I'm really disappointed as this is without doubt the best aircraft I've flown. S

Stranded in Bermuda now...nice as it is- the bird is needed in Gatwick!

Argh I was really hoping to avoid going back to Win 7. Work, etc is more important as I work from home, and I'm not sure what it would mean to downgrade to Win 7. I found it very very slow. 

For what it's worth, Wes uses Win8 and has it working...perhaps he can offer suggestions.

Unrelated quote, but hopefully it gets his attention:

Damn Ockhams Razor in reverse. Never thought of that. :lol:

Kyle Rodgers