Sign in to follow this  
Carob

AI Smooth and Windows 7

Hello.

I'm hoping someone might be able to answer a question for me with the use of AI Smooth and Windows 7.

I'm setting up a new Windows 7 system for my Dad and am unable to change the settings for AI Smooth.  When I bring up the Settings screen the data is there but I can't modify the entries.  Could this have something to do with Windows 7?  It previouly worked fine in XP (and still does in my XP system) but I can't figure out why the difficulty now.  Just for the heck of it I tried checking the box for application to "run as administrator" but that didn't change anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Windows 7 has a protected area and if you've installed AI Smooth (or any other external program) within that area you could be faced with the problems as you describe.

Always install external programs including FS, outside that area, preferably even in a separate and dedicated partition.

Hans

Windows 7 has a protected area and if you've installed AI Smooth (or any other external program) within that area you could be faced with the problems as you describe.

Always install external programs including FS, outside that area, preferably even in a separate and dedicated partition.

Hans

Without going into details, this is not the issue.

Give AISmooth administrator rights. That's what I did on my Windows 7 system and it works fine for me.

As noted above, I did that.

Without going into details, this is not the issue.

You might get more help if you did go into details.

Peter Schluter

You might get more help if you did go into details.

I didn't because the statement that was made about Win 7 and FS and associated programs is not necessarily true so I don't want to open up that can of worms.

Just to be clear, starting with Win 7 there are two settings for Run As Admin. One is a user level access (started in VISTA as UAC or User Account Control privileges) and then in Win 7 a second was started as a Program Level Access privileges. The second is for interprocess Windows messages and execution privileges plus registry access. The first is in the first properties window and the second is in the Advanced properties window.

Just to be clear, starting with Win 7 there are two settings for Run As Admin. One is a user level access (started in VISTA as UAC or User Account Control privileges) and then in Win 7 a second was started as a Program Level Access privileges. The second is for interprocess Windows messages and execution privileges plus registry access. The first is in the first properties window and the second is in the Advanced properties window.

Yes, I'm talking about program level access.  In Compatibility.

Has always worked for me under Win 7 without doing anything besides clicking on the icon.

What is the path of the AI Smooth directory?

Yes, I'm talking about program level access. In Compatibility.

I'm talking about creating a shortcut to AI Smooth (version 1.2). On the first property page enable RAA and the Advanced brings up the second property page where you check the RAA box. Ok to return to the first page, click Apply to save both, and OK to close out properties.

AISmooth 1.2 uses two .db extension files in its own folders where the airport data and settings are stored. It is not going to another folder to store settings. It is as I recall based on the SQL database format. (At least I think I added an airport using an open SQL editor on it. I in fact copied the entire folder to edit in the changes and placed the resulting files in the actual folder used after things tested OK.)

It would not hurt to check the attributes of the .db files to make sure they are not set to read-only. Read, Write, Modify, and Delete should be available as perhaps SQL may delete and rewrite a file to change it. It has to do with reindexing .db files.

One more thing is to try making your changes without FS running to insure no internal file locking is taking place.

I found my SQL editor. I verified that the following file stores the settings (among other data):

AISmooth_RW.db

in your AI Smooth folder. This is the file that needs to be modified when you save your settings.