Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

Higher Numbered Coordinates Question?

I realize I could go to individual forums with this question, but since it applies to multiple programs, I thought I would ask here in the hope of more exposure. (i.e. FC9, Reality GPS, etc.)

For example, in flight planning for flights involving North Atlantic tracks, coordinates can be added such as 4640N, 4650N, etc.

In trying to add the approximate coordinates for Misty Fjords, Alaska, the higher numbered coordinates

55.6217N 130.6072W were denied. I tried 56130N for an approximate location. Is there a procedure for such an entry, and if so does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

RTH

I'm not familiar with the Reality GPS but my guess is you need to convert your coordinates to the appropriate format.

Coordinates can be expressed as:

-Degrees, Minutes, Seconds (36,20,55)

or
-Degrees, Decimal Minutes  (36, 20.91667)

or
-Decimal Degrees  (36.34861)

All three of those numbers are the same.

The following site can help with conversions to the right format:

http://www.directionsmag.com/site/latlong-converter/

Also, it might make all the difference, where you put the N, E, S, W designators. Try "N xy" as well as "xy N". IIRC, those are also differences in the format, at least between some FMCs

Thanks for the replies Ray and Flo:

I have no problem with the conversions. I have tried about every combination I can think of relative to format, including the placement of the N,S,W,E entries.

The daily published North Atlantic Tracks display for example,

For the East FL Track A this morning:

SUNOT 58/20 59/30 48/40 56/40 JAJO

This would designate 58.0000 degrees N, 20.0000 degrees W; 59.0000 degrees N, 30.0000 degrees W; etc.

For entries into either Flight Commander, or the Reality GPS would be 5820N, 5930N, etc. If not already in the databases, they can be entered with no problem. So far I have never had the occasion to enter minutes and seconds as they are rounded off in NAT's. Apparently, either something different is required or they will not accept three digit entries such as 130 degrees, or at least I don't know how to enter it. I have tried about every combination I can think of.

I will get back into the manuals and see if I have overlooked the proper method somewhere.

Thanks again:

RTH

For entries into either Flight Commander, or the Reality GPS would be 5820N, 5930N, etc.

I don't have either of those GPS units and I don't recall ever trying to enter coordinates in any FSX GPS units. But shouldn't you be entering those as 58N20W or 59N30W. If so, then perhaps the values greater than 100 would be accepted. Just a thought.

Jesse Cochran
"... eyes ever turned skyward"

P3D v5.3 Professional, Windows 10 Professional, Jetline GTX, Gigabyte Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo, i7 7740X @ 4.9 GHz, Corsair H115i Liquid Cooling, 32Gb SDRAM @ 3200MHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080Ti @ 11 GB

ORBX Global + NALC, ASP3D, ASCA, ENVTEX, TrackIR, Virtual-Fly Yoko Yoke, TQ6+, Ruddo+ Rudder Pedals

Jes:

I would have thought the same thing you are saying, but they are not listed that way in the NAT publications. Entries as I mentioned work great. Of course the NAT tracks are all located such that two digit entries are all that are ever necessary. So far as long as I don't try an entry above 99 degrees, no problem.

Vortex:

A direct short between the ears. I don't know why I included the GNS530 in my statement. I have created all kinds of waypoints with any coordinate locations with no problem with that unit, and any coordinates by degrees, min. and sec. are easy as can be. As I started to read the manual as you suggested, I realized I had no problem with my entries into that unit. I guess the only problem is with FSC. I will go back to that manual and see if I find my mistake.

Thanks for the help.

RTH

I am afraid I told an untruth, well, a partial untruth at least concerning the Reality GNS530.

In trying to make an entry of a waypoint that already has a legitimate name, but is not in the Reality Database, the option pops up to create the coordinates for that waypoint. That includes the lower numbered waypoints that are included in NATS.

For example, Westerly track T for today's published NATS included 53/40, 54/40, 55/30, and 56/20 as Atlantic waypoint coordinates,

In the FSC, these can be simply entered as 5340N, 5440N, 5530n, and 5330N. They show up and the bird navigates to these coordinates correctly with no problem.

In the Reality GNS530, these coordinates are typically not included in the data base. However, a window will pop up asking if I want to create them. No problem, they are created by the same names coordinates may be entered and saved by simply entering the degrees, mins. . and seconds of that location. The same is true of many other waypoints that already have names, but are not included in the database.

To just try and create a name, and then create the desired location coordinates does not work however. For example, I tried to enter various titles like MFORDS, MISTF, etc. which if this had worked, I would have been able to enter the coordinates under those names for Misty Fjords (N56 degrees, 37 mins. 18 seconds; W130degees, 36mins, 26 seconds). It will not accept a random created name to start this process. I am pretty sure that any existing waypoint already in the database, or one with an acceptable name could be modiffied to whatever coordinates one wanted to enter. (I did this by mistake once already with incorrect coordinates for a waypoint and had to go back and correct it.).

So far I have overlooked these possibilities in the manuals, but the search goes on:

Respectfully:

RTH

Edit:

Success after a fashion.

There may be a more simple way to do this than what I have done, but this works in the GNS530.

1. Bring up any old flight plan with waypoints.

2. Choose a waypoint, and hit "ent".

3. Left Click the large knob

4. Then you can progressively edit everything, including the name ("USR"). Enter your coordinates for the desired location you named, create it, and you have your new waypoint.

I also had a typo for the proper coordinates for Misty Fjords (according to a google search) They are N55 degrees, not N56 degrees. (N55 degrees 37min. 18 sec. W130 degrees, 36 sec. 26 min.)

This being said,Misty Fjords really covers a vast area with many dandy places to sit a float plane or amphibian down.

Happy flying!

RTH

Apologies, and forget it!

The method I described above works fine in the Reality GPS.

In FSC,there is a simple provision under Windows > User Waypoints where waypoints can be easily added.

My number one mistake was in my google search. I simply googled Misty Fjords coordinated and a window immediately popped up with the coordinates I listed. I thought this might be a central generic location designated by that name, but I expected it to be located on the water somewhere. I even hoped it might be the exact location I visited in a tour long ago. Unfortunately, this is not located on the water, but dry land. Additional searches revealed that this location is really the Ketchikan Gateway Borough.

Fortunately, there are gobs of Misty Fjord cabin locations adjacent to the water in addons for Misty Fjords. 78K Yes Bay Lodge is a good choice.

Happy flying!

RTH