Sign in to follow this  
mwstevenson

Cloud/rain slowdown

I  have installed FS9EVOv2.0 into my FSSW50 and FSSW60 sims and it's working all right.  I have only a small problem with frame rates in certain conditions, and I'm not altogether certain it's your new files.

As I climb out of the clouds and rain, the frame rate increases until I am above the clouds at which point the FPS will jump from 6.0 or 7.0 PS to 25 to 30FPS, where it is locked.

I've noticed however that if I am on the ground and taxiing with the clouds and rain, the FPS will remain from 6 to 7 FPS, unless I elevate the spot view to where the distant scenery is out of the picture and only the area around the aircraft and immediate runway, taxiway or apron is visible at which time the FPS returns to normal.  This isn't a huge problem as I really don't need distance views as I'm taxiing anyway. 

Obviously the complexity of the scenery is eating a lot of memory and causing a slowdown.  Should I be looking at replacing my video card?  Here's my system profile:

MS XP Pro Version 2002 SP3

AMD Phenom II X4 940 processor

3.01 GHz, 3.25GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6850 Video Card

When I installed the new files, I put in the AUTOGENlite file and the halo.bmp you had in the download, in the hopes of helping the FPS rate.  Before I installed FS9EVOv2.0 I did not have this problem with the slowdown around airports or near the ground in heavy weather, I lost only a few FPS in heavy cloud but with FS9EVOv2.0 I have lost a bit more.  Do you have any suggestions re: settings?

My FS Golden Wings 3 will not start at all after installing these sceneries so I am in the process of rebuilding it using the original texture files and autogen.

I wanted to let you know this is not all complaint - these files are outstanding and contribute immensely to the enjoyment of the sim.  Before I installed them I had problems with scenery directly below an aircraft in flight appearing in highly-defined squares, but scenery not directly beneath the aircraft was blurry and there was a definite line of demarkation between the two.   Now everything blends seamlessly and there is a gradual loss of focus just as there is in real life.  You have outdone yourself.

Looking forward to the next iteration!

I think you were on the right track using the autogen lite pack because it sounds as if the lights are causing the loss of frames. I have sent an unofficial fix to your mail account. Use the modified library and the halo.bmp from the lite pack and you should get a large gain in fps, thanks to Maxime who removed the poles from the lamps.

Sascha

Also try using the 2014_9_06_defaultxml_better_performance autogen from the /updates/for_autogen folder and one of the DXT1 format ground details found in the Evo2_detail1.zip file in the /updates/all_files_for_scenery_world_texture directory.

Have a nice weekend!

Sascha

Michael, did the fix work?

Cheers,

Sascha