Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

Control issue with 773

I can't seem to get the control surfaces to work with my joystick and FSUIPC, am I doing something wrong? The throttle works just fine, however, I can't seem to program the joystick

Patrick Boynton.

I can't seem to get the control surfaces to work with my joystick and FSUIPC, am I doing something wrong? The throttle works just fine, however, I can't seem to program the joystick

Patrick Boynton.

Hi Patrick,

Two things come to mind.  First, sometimes FSUIPC does not detect the joystick correctly if it is plugged in after FSX starts up or possibly even after Windows starts up.  Second, you might have a problem if the joystick axes are assigned in FSX controls, especially if they are assigned differently than in FSUIPC.  I have no joystick axes assigned in FSX, all through FSUIPC.

PMDG doesn't recommend using FSUIPC, but I haven't experienced any problems.

Hope this helps!

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Would any of that cause the spoilers to be up, and the engines to be open when the aircraft is loaded?

Patrick Boynton

Hi, Patrick,

Seems to me I read somewhere about FSUIPC spoiler issues, but I don't have a joystick key assigned to it, just the "/" key and "Shift-/" to arm it (or dragging the spoiler handle).  Not sure what you mean by "engines open" -- in reverse?  I do have a joystick button assigned to throttle decrease/reverse thrust (equivalent to F2) but through FSX, not FSUIPC.

Other things that may be helpful:  1)  I think there is an issue where the flaps appear to be up but the sim detects them as down when using FSUIPC to assign flaps, possibly only in older versions (results in poor performance w/ no obvious cause); 2) make sure you have the latest version of FSUIPC.  I only have the three main control axes plus throttle assigned through FSUIPC (and none of the three axes or throttle assigned through FSX) and seems to work OK.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

So I figured out what it was. I had deleted the settings, but apparently you have to turn back on the controls. So apparently it was my bad.

Patrick Boynton

So I figured out what it was. I had deleted the settings, but apparently you have to turn back on the controls. So apparently it was my bad.

Patrick Boynton

Glad it's fixed!

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I suppose its time to just give up flying all together. I'm tired of not being able to fly when I want to. It's apparently NOT fixed, now I can't even use other aircraft with my joystick. When I play with the settings in FSUIPC the axies all register.

Patrick Boynton

I suppose its time to just give up flying all together. I'm tired of not being able to fly when I want to. It's apparently NOT fixed, now I can't even use other aircraft with my joystick. When I play with the settings in FSUIPC the axies all register.

Patrick Boynton

Hi, Patrick,

Sorry for your frustration.  However this doesn't sound like an insurmountable problem.  Try just using FSX to program all axes of your joystick.  See if that works OK.  Temporarily uninstall FSUIPC.  Then, if that works OK, make sure the FSUIPC.dll file in Modules is the most recent version, which you can check here:

http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

Back up the FSUIPC.ini file in the FSX Modules folder, delete it, let it rebuild.  Then make sure you don't have any axes assigned in FSX that you also want to assign in FSUIPC,  Then assign them using FSUIPC. 

You might want to start out with the three major axes, elevator, aileron and rudder, and the throttle.  If these are working OK then try adding whatever other ones you want, such as flaps and spoiler.

Once you get it working, you shouldn't have to keep fiddling with it.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

It's not clearing the buttons permanantly. Next time i restart FSX the settings are all back as I had them. Edit: I was clearing them in the wrong place, will mess around and see if I still have the joystick problem which is the only reason I mapped the controls in the first place.

Patrick Boynton

It's not clearing the buttons permanantly. Next time i restart FSX the settings are all back as I had them.

Patrick Boynton

Not sure why this is happening, but perhaps try running FSX as administrator.   PMDG and others recommend installing FSX outside of a Programs folder because there are all sorts of "protections" that can prevent some files from being written.  Running as administrator can alleviate these protections if you have FSX installed in a Programs folder.

The control settings file is in something like:

C:\Users\[YOUR NAME]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls

and is called Standard.xml.  See if it is being updated when you make changes to the control settings.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Thank you, I figured everything out I think. Now I'm just testing to see if windows 8.1 has fixed the USB issue I had with 8.

Patrick Boynton