Sign in to follow this  
AKStirling

GF-TQ6 ... is it worth the expense?

Given the relative lack of choice in the budget price range of throttle quadrants I am consider splashing out on Goflight's GF-TQ6. Given the cost of same I would appreciate confirmation that it supports FSUIPC and any other user comments/feedback ... look forward to your thoughts ...

Alan

You'd probably be better off posting this in the hardware forum where more owners might see it but...

Yes it is supported by both it's own GF configuration software and FSUIPC; you can use either. It's made out of metal and has interchangeable levers but I don't find myself using that feature much. It also has a bit more natural angle with respect to the arc or travel of the levers themselves and you can see this if you compare it to a Saitek quad which is almost 90 degrees. I have not had any spiking or trouble with the pots in my unit that is going on five years old. I would say that mine has been a solid and reliable unit that I would purchase again. With saying that you asked, "Is it worth the expense"? Worth or value is very subjective; being completely honest I think a pair of Saitek quads mounted at an angle would give more bang for the buck in that you get 6+3 momentary switches on each quad I also like the level of friction on the Saitek units and wish that this was an adjustable feature on the GF TQ6. I do think that the GF unit looks better and as an adult male I grew tired of the toyish look of plastic units and therefore replaced my yoke with a PFC Saab style unit, my pedals with MFG Crosswind set, and use the TQ6 as my quad. I still use a single Saitek throttle quad for a gear lever as well as cowl flaps or reversers depending on what I am flying.

RE Thomason Jr.

check out jetmax throttle quadrant

The Jetmax unit is sweet but not even close to being in the same price range!

RE Thomason Jr.

For a couple more bucks I'd go for this one:

http://www.flightsimpm.com/products#!/737-Throttle-Quadrant-PRO-v2-0/p/33600129/category=8661205

Also no pricing available at the moment, should be announced soon, but this might also be an option:

http://www.flightsimpm.com/products#!/Desktop-Boeing-737-Throttle/p/34494433/category=8721156

Looks way better than the GoFlight one if you'd ask me, and since the full quadrant is only €590, I cant imagine this one being any more expensive than the GoFlight one.

sig1.png
sig2.png

Thanks for the responses ... tying myself to a particular quadrant and therefore type of plane is not something I am interested in doing ... I am attracted to the TQ6 on the strength of its being configurable for different types. The reference to Saitek ... my query is based on the fact I recently bought a pair of their 'Proflight' units (based on my experience I'd rename them 'Noflight') as neither of them work  ... so forgive me if I pass on that option ... my hunch is that I'll probably go for the Goflight ....

tying myself to a particular quadrant and therefore type of plane is not something I am interested in doing .

This is exactly the reason why I went with the GF TQ6.  I tend to fly different aircraft from GA to Jumbo's and if there was a more flexible and/ or configurable generic throttle quad I would have bought it. 

@ Driver170 what prices are you looking at for the Jetmax the unit I saw on their homepage was $1200 USD that's more than just a few hundred bucks over the GF?

RE Thomason Jr.

Decision made ... order placed for the GF ... so this feels like an early FS Xmas ... LM releasing another upgrade this incoming week ... have just bought the Aerosoft A318/9 which I know from experience will not disappoint and having my hands on a decent set of throttles will be the icing on the (Xmas) cake ......  I now will turn my attention to getting the redress to which I feel entitled from the Saitek situation to recoup some of the cost of the purchase just made ...

You are going to need to anchor the GF-TQ6 because it is way too light to stand on it's own when push the throttles back and forth ....

That is a failing in my eyes .......

What I have done is to get a rectangular, fairly heavy, tile and Velcro the TQ6 to the base of it

That seems to have done the trick

Very good point ... One I have dealt with on many occasions using good old Velcro ... Currently have my venerable sidewinder ff2 secured with little screw mounted plastic blocks meant for shelf fixing ... Probably try that approach ... Other thing is to get my hands on a set of the handles that give configs for various types of planes ... Might try the classifieds here ...

et

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "The Prepar3d General Forum" to "Hardware Controllers & Drivers". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.