Sign in to follow this  
avgaskoolaid

New hardware to increase FSX performance- suggestions?

Hi all. I am using a system that I built in 2011. For the most part I am pleased with it. I am getting the performance I want in FSX in low-populated areas (20 FPS- limited by the internal FSX limiter). However, when I fly into areas such as FSDT's Chicago and NL2000s or Aerosoft's Amsterdam, I can barely break above 10 FPS. I'm looking at ways to increase my performance with new hardware. Is there any part of my computer that I can upgrade here? Or should I focus more on tweaks and such? Thanks.

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 2600K  @ 3.40GHz 87 °F
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00 GB DDR3 @ 800MHz (9-9-9-28)
Motherboard
MSI P67A-G45 (MS-7673) (SOCKET 0) 83 °F
Graphics
E2350 (1920x1080@60Hz)
LogMeIn Mirror Driver
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti  
Hard Drives
488GB Western Digital WDC WD5002AALX-00J37A0 ATA Device (SATA) 81 °F
Optical Drives
ASUS DRW-24B1ST   a ATA Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Although the 2600k isn't state of the art anymore, it's a good enough CPU.

Your graphics card is what can be improved, and you could add an SSD to run the operating system and FSX from.

SO, say I got a GTX760 to replace my 560Ti. Would this improve my performance a noticable ammount? Or would it be overkill or too little? Also, when I built my current system I received help from the local computer shop owner who I don't have access to any more (I moved). How would I know if this card is compatible with the rest of my setup? 

Agreed, your CPU is fine. You might see a few more FPS by spending many hundreds on a new motherboard and CPU. The SSD will certainly boost Windows performance but will only lower load times in FS and P3d.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

My recommendations in priority order:

Graphics card is the most important.   The 560TI is outdated but so is FSX, The add-ons are a lot to deal with though. My experience is that you need something between a 780 and a Titan-z for best results. However, everyone isn't made of money. Lowest you should get is a 760/680 and the best value card out there is the 970. If your budget is withing $100 of the 970 you should just get it, well worth it. 

I highly recommend a SSD. Once you go SSD, you won't go back. 

The cpu can get an upgrade. For FSX, an I3 4360 or even a G3258 ($70) will yield you better FPS. Any new intel processor will be better. If you use your pc for ANYTHING multi-threaded I wouldn't recommend that switch as the 2600 is a far more rounded cpu. I'm not sure about motherboard compatibility so those might not even be options.

There are some 7CAS 1600mhz memory sets out there. Very low priority for FSX but 16GB 7cas ram would yield you the very slightest of frames. If you are making this upgrade though, you mine as well just be building a new computer. 

AMD 5800X | Nvidia 3090 FE | Samsung CRG9 49 inch monitor | Samsung M.2 NVMe 1TB|  3, 1TB SSDs| 32GB DDR4 @3600 cl 16| Windows 10|X-plane 11, MS2020

Your 2600k is more than adequate to get better frame rates in dense areas if you are willing to overclock the cpu. There are plenty of tutorials on how to overclock your processor with your motherboard. You already have good compnents that you are not using to the full potential. Add a descent cpu cooler, GTX770 or 970, overclock to a safe 4.0-4.5 ghz and save yourself the hassle of a full system rebuild and install.

Thanks very much for the detailed recommendations. One question about the SSD though. The gentleman above said that an SSD would reduce FSX load times. Is this the case? I was under impression that it is the opposite. 

An SSD isn't going to slow your fsx load times. An SSD just spits out data faster than a hard drive. It inherently going to load all data faster.

For FSX it isn't a super high priority because it is only load times, but throwing windows on there is going to make boot times faster and your computer use in general will be crisper. Load times for games like BF4 increase greatly with a SSD, for FSX its not alot but it is noticeable. 

The SSD isn't going to give you frames. But i would value the increased overall computer experience over the frame gain from a new cpu or memory card. 

AMD 5800X | Nvidia 3090 FE | Samsung CRG9 49 inch monitor | Samsung M.2 NVMe 1TB|  3, 1TB SSDs| 32GB DDR4 @3600 cl 16| Windows 10|X-plane 11, MS2020

"Load times for games like BF4 increase greatly with a SSD"

I assume you mean "decrease"

Bert

Ya, Increase is usually a positive word. Thanks for the correction. The SSD will always have better load times. 

FSX performance is CPU speed dependent. You need to OC to 4.5 or even higher.

GPU is very important. With an OC CPU, my 660TI is yielding excellent results, but it depends on addons and FSX settings. You will need to play with the FSX sliders to achieve good results.

SSDs are almost a no brainer. They are fast and affordable. FSX benefits include faster load times and instant view switching.

If you plan to upgrade graphics, go with the 970. This is the best value you will find.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

FSX performance is CPU speed dependent. You need to OC to 4.5 or even higher.

Even more importantly is the single thread performance

I agree that CPU speed is the number one, two, and three issue for FSX.. but I do not agree that you have to have 4.5+ GHz overclocks with matching overvoltages and cooling systems to have a good FSX experience..

A 4790K should run FSX nicely, out of the box.. so I would suggest to start there.  B)

Bert

Invest in a good CPU fan and overclock up to 4.5GHZ, after that you'll be stick at 30FPS for sure.

I don't think changing the GPU will increase your peformance.

FYI i've got an i5 2500K running at 4.5Ghz and a GTX660, I'm stuck at 30FPS all the time.

I agree that CPU speed is the number one, two, and three issue for FSX.. but I do not agree that you have to have 4.5+ GHz overclocks with matching overvoltages and cooling systems to have a good FSX experience..

A 4790K should run FSX nicely, out of the box.. so I would suggest to start there.  B)

I have a I7 4790K and i water cooled it and overclocked it to 4.5ghz on 4 cores with hyper threading off and stock out of the box is fine at 4.0ghz but if u really want a smooth a amazing looking FSX a overclock is a must in my recommendation, I have no problems with temperature of the I7 4790K and over-voltages it stock turbo boost to 4.4ghz but i pushed it to 4.5ghz and could of gone more but was happy at that and i see about 60 degrees on all 4 cores stable.

I also have the I7 4790K matched up with a GTX 780 which is a great card for cloud rendering and helps textures etc this is a 3gig card, BUT FSX IS CPU HUNGRY.

I also added the Z97 MSI gaming 5 motherboard and this motherboard alone is made for overclocking, Yes FSX will run @ 4.0ghz stock of the I7 4790K but u will see a major difference by not overclocking it to 4.5GHZ. 

I have all FTX Australia Regions all Australia add on airports including payware YBBN,YMML,YSCB,YBCS, ASN weather engine running, Ultimate traffic 2 @ 80% traffic setting, While running the PMDG 737-800 NGX, All FSX sliders to the right except for Autogen density which is set to very dense and @ 4.5ghz overclock i don't see below 26FPS at all so my advice is OVERCLOCK !!!!!!, oh also forgot to mention i also have FTX Global and vector also on top of that.

So sum it up overclocking does make a major difference on performance and if done right u wont regret doing it.