Sign in to follow this  
avgaskoolaid

New hardware to increase FSX performance- suggestions?

I have a I7 4790K and i water cooled it and overclocked it to 4.5ghz on 4 cores with hyper threading off and stock out of the box is fine at 4.0ghz but if u really want a smooth a amazing looking FSX a overclock is a must in my recommendation, I have no problems with temperature of the I7 4790K and over-voltages it stock turbo boost to 4.4ghz but i pushed it to 4.5ghz and could of gone more but was happy at that and i see about 60 degrees on all 4 cores stable.

I also have the I7 4790K matched up with a GTX 780 which is a great card for cloud rendering and helps textures etc this is a 3gig card, BUT FSX IS CPU HUNGRY.

I also added the Z97 MSI gaming 5 motherboard and this motherboard alone is made for overclocking, Yes FSX will run @ 4.0ghz stock of the I7 4790K but u will see a major difference by not overclocking it to 4.5GHZ. 

I have all FTX Australia Regions all Australia add on airports including payware YBBN,YMML,YSCB,YBCS, ASN weather engine running, Ultimate traffic 2 @ 80% traffic setting, While running the PMDG 737-800 NGX, All FSX sliders to the right except for Autogen density which is set to very dense and @ 4.5ghz overclock i don't see below 26FPS at all so my advice is OVERCLOCK !!!!!!, oh also forgot to mention i also have FTX Global and vector also on top of that.

So sum it up overclocking does make a major difference on performance and if done right u wont regret doing it.

Thank you!

As I've already stated, the faster CPU will always render better performance for FSX, especially when dealing with complex airplanes and airports.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

If your lazy like me and don't want to oc 4790k is perfect cpu get 4.2 to 4.4 anyways. Think 4790k is marketed towards people don't want bother with over clocking.

If your lazy like me and don't want to oc 4790k is perfect cpu get 4.2 to 4.4 anyways. Think 4790k is marketed towards people don't want bother with over clocking.

i7 4790K was actually made for overclockers thats why the thermal paste was improved on it but yes can be used as stock but for overclocking in mind was the main improvements made to it from the I7 4770K 

The 4790K is essentially a factory overclocked 4770K, but yes, it can be overclocked further.. ^_^

Bert

I wouldn't spend a bean. I have the same set up (nearly) as you but have OC,d to 4.8ghz on a $50 v6 coolmaster. Nothing wrong with your 560TI is perfectly fine for FSX.

Join one of the many overclock forums around and go for it!

ZORAN

As I've already stated, the faster CPU will always render better performance for FSX, especially when dealing with complex airplanes and airports.

The GPU actually renders most of the scenery on the screen, not the CPU.

According to Microsoft, it is the bus speed which will increase performance, and reduce stuttering with autogen, not CPU speed.

I wouldn't spend a bean. I have the same set up (nearly) as you but have OC,d to 4.8ghz on a $50 v6 coolmaster. Nothing wrong with your 560TI is perfectly fine for FSX.

Join one of the many overclock forums around and go for it!

I might just do this, as I have a very tight budget. Thanks for the idea! Are there any overclocking forums that you would recommend? 

Even with no overclock, 10FPS seems low for that system. You might want to post your complete fsx & GPU settings (Inspector or Nvidia Control Panel)

That would be my priority, getting your settings right comes at no cost, just takes a little time.

Then, if you need more and as already suggested, try overclocking.

Your CPU is fine and no upgrade will net you anywhere near as much performance as overclocking will.

Your GPU is fine too provided that you don't abuse antialiasing

Invest in a good CPU fan and overclock up to 4.5GHZ, after that you'll be stick at 30FPS for sure.

I don't think changing the GPU will increase your peformance.

FYI i've got an i5 2500K running at 4.5Ghz and a GTX660, I'm stuck at 30FPS all the time.

30 FPS is perfect, you don't need any higher.  30 FPS is as fast as the human eye can see, pre digital age, movies were shot at 27 FPS. Lock your FPS at 30 and use the half refresh rate tweak.  Overclocking a 4970 is unnecessary, I use a stock 4770 and FSX runs like a dream on a Z87 and 8GB RAM with a GTX580.

I'm sorry but that's wrong ... My eye can observe far more than 30 fps.

But I will agree the 30 fps with 1/2 refresh rate is a good setup... I use that because I can't consistently get 60 fps.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I'm sorry but that's wrong ... My eye can observe far more than 30 fps.

But I will agree the 30 fps with 1/2 refresh rate is a good setup... I use that because I can't consistently get 60 fps.

I think you misunderstand, below 27 FPS film or computer rendered motion becomes less fluid, above 27FPS it becomes fluid so 30FPS is the sweet spot. To the naked eye, graphics or film motion looks exactly the same at 30FPS as it does at 60FPS. The point is, anything above 30FPS is completely pointless. Flight simers that crack on about getting 60FPS in these forums do make me laugh ! Locking your FPS at 30 frees up your hardware to handle other tasks more efficiently instead of grinding away producing unessesarily higher FPS. My Brother is an Optician and a flight simer so I do know my facts sir !

I think you misunderstand, below 27 FPS film or computer rendered motion becomes less fluid, above 27FPS it becomes fluid so 30FPS is the sweet spot. To the naked eye, graphics or film motion looks exactly the same at 30FPS as it does at 60FPS. The point is, anything above 30FPS is completely pointless. Flight simers that crack on about getting 60FPS in these forums do make me laugh ! Locking your FPS at 30 frees up your hardware to handle other tasks more efficiently instead of grinding away producing unessesarily higher FPS. My Brother is an Optician and a flight simer so I do know my facts sir !

Well, to be fair, being able to get 60 FPS in, say, a rural area provides a good amount of 'wiggle-room' for getting higher FPS at larger airports.

Even with no overclock, 10FPS seems low for that system. You might want to post your complete fsx & GPU settings (Inspector or Nvidia Control Panel)

Is there a way that I can get both of these settings in a list to post them?

Well, to be fair, being able to get 60 FPS in, say, a rural area provides a good amount of 'wiggle-room' for getting higher FPS at larger airports.

If you can get 60FPS with a complex plane at a complex airport then you are certainly going to get a consistent 30FPS if you are  locked at 30. I fly the PMDG 747 and 737 NGX from Heathrow and Gatwick X  and it runs like a dream.  

To the naked eye, graphics or film motion looks exactly the same at 30FPS as it does at 60FPS. The point is, anything above 30FPS is completely pointless. Flight simers that crack on about getting 60FPS in these forums do make me laugh !

Well, don't laugh so much then cause without motion blur and fast moving graphics (like when using TrackIR in FSX) it's pretty easy to notice the difference in smoothness between 30 & 60 FPS

Check this out

https://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

Post your fsx.cfg and a screenshot of Inspector or Nvidia Control Panel