Sign in to follow this  
belongedtoair

Is a SSD make difference on fps?

Hi all.

I have a standart HDD. My windows and Prepar3D are both installed on it. I'm planning to buy a new SSD. And I'll install windows into that SSD to speed up computer.

But I'm curious about should I install Prepar3D on SSD? I think it will just make a difference on loading time( that doesn't a problem for me I'm a patient person).

Will it make difference on FPS?

So, should I install windows on SSD and P3D to HDD, or install windows on SSD and P3D to HDD?

Well my W7 loads from boot up to on the net in 15sec.

FPS proberly not but when ever you cpu or gpu wants anything from the SSD it get its a hell of a lot faster it would from a HDD, textures for example.

Also no need to ever defrag

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Install OS and P3D on SSD - They definitely makes a difference - when I switched there was no turning back smoother stable experience - my pc boots in in about 9 seconds try that with a regular hard drive - not happening

Rich Sennett

I have both Win7 and P3D on one SSD and all my photoscenery on another SSD.

Works perfect.

Mark

W7 on its own SSD

FSX on its own SSD

P3D on its own SSD

Keeps every great.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I have both Win7 and P3d on Samsung SDDs (different disks). It matters a lot in terms of loading (P3D starts in 5-8 seconds) and it loads a flight in arround 5 seconds (I have like 40 addons -scenery and aircrafts). In terms of performance, I haven't noticed improvments (I get around 30fps at 3440x1400 with i7 4790k and 780gtx).

(P3D starts in 5-8 seconds) and it loads a flight in arround 5 seconds

I have similar load times with both on the same 500GB Samsung.

But, if you have the money,  :BigGrin:

Mark

Rather than spending on a large SSD, I went for speed.  I use a caching program, PrimoCache, to cache files to my SSD.  http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/primo-cache/index.html.  It also has a RAM cache, and 12 of my 32GB of RAM is setup as a cache.  Once an area is loaded in RAM there it is much faster to reload, which is really great if you're testing configurations.  They have a free 90 day trial.

Interesting. Not sure exactly how I'd use this with P3D.

I've got all my PS (it's all I use) on a 1TB Samsung and load times are really fast compared to my old 7200HD.

Certainly a time saver testing configs as you mentioned.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "The Prepar3d General Forum" to "MOBO, RAM, CPU's & Other Hardware". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.