Sign in to follow this  
Guest JTEK99

LF: A Utility for monitoring Add-On/Scenery/AC installations (and more)

Guest JTEK99

Hi, all.Been a lurker for about 6 months now, having come back to flight-simming in the same period. This forum and its community are truly amazing; posts by the many members here have exponentially increased the value of my flightsim experience. Avsim is more valuable than any add-on to FS9 and I think most folks (lurkers and members) know this by rote.To wit, I have a quick question I'm hoping someone could help me with.I have a bit of the "add-on bug" in the sense that I do a good amount of downloading from Avsim.com and other file libraries. Like most of you, I also have a variety of payware/freeware aircraft and sceneries.Recently, I mucked up my FS9 installation... but not to worry. I had planned to do a major cleanup of FS9 anyway (i.e., uninstall everything to do with FS9 and start from scratch... especially now that I know the add-ons/aircraft I can't live without).However... for the future of my flight-simming experience, can anyone recommend a utility (payware or freeware) that can:(a) effectively monitor any changes to the FS9 config files.(:( give me the option of a rollback to a previous configuration© monitor installation of scenery/ac/etc for those items that don't really have a Windows registry entry for uninstalling (i.e., MOST downloadable addons)I know I can ostensibly accomplish the above manually; but I'm wondering if there's a good utility that does this already. Any input would be welcomed.Thanks for taking the time to read my post.Sincerely,J.

Hi,Sorry, I can't help, and I wish I could do this also. One big problem that I found was after I had installed some mesh scenery I did not know for a few weeks that this mesh scenery was actually messing up another scenery area. Since I had not flown in the area affected for a few weeks, I did not know there was a problem. Being able to rollback my configuration may have helped pinpoint the bad mesh. BTW the folks here were of great help!Good luck in your search!Airbus

Al Kaupa

Digital Storm purchased 8/17/2011; Win7x64: Asus P8P67 Deluxe; Intel i7 2600K@3,9 GHZ; nVidia GTX 560Ti; 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator; Power Corsair HX 750W; Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD; 300GB WD VelociRaptor; 1TB Seagate.

Guest ponyboy

If I remember correctly, I think there is an add-on that lets you edit your fs9.cfg file thru their interface. I guess it's meant to be easier. I haven't used it but perhaps it has a "back-up" button of some type. I'd say do some file library searches under utilites of "FS config". just a thought.

Guys-I'm in the middle of development of a utility that will allow you do everything you requested above and more.I'll look you up when I'm ready for beta testing.Stay tuned..../Dave

Guest JTEK99

>If I remember correctly, I think there is an add-on that lets>you edit your fs9.cfg file thru their interface. I guess it's>meant to be easier. I haven't used it but perhaps it has a>"back-up" button of some type. I'd say do some file library>searches under utilites of "FS config". just a thought.Indeed. Thanks for this reminder! I've been using Ken Salter's excellent FSConfigurator... it's been real helpful in allowing me to do quick edits of the .cfg files.Thanks again for the reply.