Sign in to follow this  
Richard Sennett

Bloom Adjustments: Discussion Thread

Cheers Rob... I've been using these values below for a while, as I too found the defaults rather OTT, especially when looking into dark areas, where the bloom seems to ramp-up.

static const float BloomThreshold = 05.25f;
static const float BloomMagnitude = 04.25f;
static const float BloomBlurSigma = 1.1f;
static const float TimeDelta = 4.0f;

I must admit I'm not sure what BloomBlurSigma does? :Thinking:

Anyway, I still have a nice effect from the HDR but far less bleed of light into dark, which gave everything a soft focus/Vaseline on the lens look.

Does anyone know how to add some more saturation... I would like a touch more colour personally.

"Does anyone know how to add some more saturation... I would like a touch more colour personally"

Yah just a touch would be nice or you can manually adjust by adding it in driver control panel

Rich Sennett

Yah just a touch would be nice or you can manually adjust by adding it in driver control panel

This is what I do currently Richard, but would like to add a custom value for P3D only, so as to not interfere with other things.

You can use SweetFX but it has a negative affect on the menus.

Also note that changing these values can affect everything HDR related ... notice in the linked images how the sky textures are affected which in turn affects terrain, etc. etc.

Are you looking for saturation (all colors) or vibrance (just muted colors)?  I haven't found anything specific ... if I do I'll report back.

I believe BloomBlurSigma is how much of a gaussian blur is applied to the bloom.

On a side note: HDR and Bloom are actually separate ... one can have HDR without Bloom and one can have Bloom without HDR.

And of course be aware you'll want to restore this to their originals before application of v2.4 patch.

Cheers, Rob.

On a side note: HDR and Bloom are actually separate ... one can have HDR without Bloom and one can have Bloom without HDR

How can i disable Bloom without disabling HDR ?

Would be nice to know, because i dont like Bloom at all.

Thanks.

How can i disable Bloom without disabling HDR ?

I'd like the opposite; disable HDR but keep bloom. How can this be done as well?

I'd like the opposite; disable HDR but keep bloom. How can this be done as well?

Just stating the obvious - not tried but you switch off HDR and turn on bloom in P3D menu settings I guess

Rich Sennett

Just stating the obvious - not tried but you switch off HDR and turn on bloom in P3D menu settings I guess

There is no setting for bloom in P3D. It's HDR or nothing.

BTW HDR has been toned down a LOT in 2.4, it seems to me. I hardly see a difference anymore and would like to get back the bloom I had in 2.3...

There is no setting for bloom in P3D. It's HDR or nothing.

BTW HDR has been toned down a LOT in 2.4, it seems to me. I hardly see a difference anymore and would like to get back the bloom I had in 2.3...

You are correct - I was thinking lens flare oops

Here is a thread by Rob this should help you to come up with a bloom effect you might like

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/452260-bloom-adjustments/

Rich Sennett

Bloom in 2.4:

static const float BloomThreshold = 03.5f;
static const float BloomMagnitude = 03.75f;
static const float BloomBlurSigma = 0.8;
static const float TimeDelta = 01.0f;
Bloom in 2.3:

static const float BloomThreshold = 03.25f;
static const float BloomMagnitude = 03.75f;
static const float BloomBlurSigma = 0.9;
static const float TimeDelta = 0.2f;
Just revert the values back to the 2.3 ones and you should get your desired bloom effect back. Remember to clear your shaders as well.

The changes from v2.2 are pretty significant (13 or 14 line are difference) ... the changes from v2.3 to v2.4 are very minor (only two lines changed).  Not sure you can get away with using v2.2 version ... I haven't tested it.

As far as color you can look into the GPUTerrain.fx file (...\ShadersHLSL)

V2.4 (line 881)

BaseColor *= lerp( .35f, 1.0f, fAlpha );

I prefer (subtle change)

BaseColor *= lerp( .34f, 1.0f, fAlpha );

As always, backup your file first so that when their is another update you can restore the original unmodified file so that it will get updated.

Cheers, Rob.