Sign in to follow this  
Dragonmount

Missed the first waypoint... few problems occured.

If you are at CA and miss a waypoint it gives you the oppurtunity to just direct to the next one. However if you miss one still on your climb, it refuses to let you contact the next ATC in the chain. It also only gave me one option: Return to KMIA (where I took off from). So I have to restart everything because I missed the first waypoint? Or did I experience something weird?

What or where is CA?

Why are you missing waypoints? Excessive speed maybe? Engage the a/p and it shouldn't happen.

You have to be a certain distance from departure before Request Direct option becomes available on menu 9.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

My cruize altitude was FL 410. I don't know why it missed the waypoint, it was my first flight with the PMDG 777-300ER. It is a very big plane, and as such has a hard time turning, and I'm assuming that it turned too wide to make it.

If you set the a/p and autothrottle soon after take-off that will help. Even the largest aircraft can keep well under 200kts on departure. Keep the speed back and you'll be fine.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Did you define on your RC general tab the B777 as a heavy? That offers the speed relief option below 10,000 or FL100. However, as Ray stated, during initial departure you need to keep your speed down to negotiate hitting the required waypoints, which are tight during the departure phase.

I am surprised you reached FL410 during departure (within the first 30 nm). Note that during the departure phase the window radius around waypoints is only one nm I think. The normal bank limiting on the B777 negates tight turns at cruise speeds. You might have to to MCP heading control to turn a bit early (or late) within the departure phase if your ground speed has increased.

I looked at a tracking log out of KJFK to cross the NATS track this morning and they did not make their first requested cruise of 35000 until Boston. This was TSO2222 New York to Moscow (UUWW).

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/TSO2222/history/20140928/1825Z/KJFK/UUWW/tracklog

should be up for two days or so.

How do you get speed relief? I'm aware of the option but never found out how to do it. I do have it set as a heavy, and no I never got to my cruise altitude.

250kt speed relief is only available at non-FAA airports. i.e. outside the US. It's an option on the Controller page.

You must keep an eye on the top line of the RC display. This shows the active waypoint and should be the same as that in the CDU. Unless you pass very close to each waypoint RC will not credit you. This is especially important in the first 30 miles when you have to pass within 2 miles of each one.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

While the manual states it as at non-FAA airports, it may be at all in version 4.3. Not sure since I do not fly heavies. In the RC manual check out pages 126-127 (old menu type display) and page 44 which states for departure it is on the extended menu (access 9 by default). Similar on approach.

A bit of a conflict here.