Sign in to follow this  
Pe11e

Aerosoft Airbus vs. Rookie

I've just hit the 1000 post here, and I will ask something that will shock most of you. So, after years of simming, and a year trying to enter "serious waters", means learn FMC , LNAV, VNAV and other "advanced" mambo jumbo, I'm asking you this now, prepare... can Aerosoft A318/319/320/321 be flown as a Project Airbus V3 or default Airbus A321?  :ph34r:  Means, I power up the plane, enter flightplan via default FSX planner, control the AP like in a default Airbus, no LNAV and VNAV stuff. To be honest I bought AXE and yesterday A318/319 just because of an awesome immersion this addons has - checklists, cabin crew, real coppilot, etc. I really don't have nerves to learn that "advanced" stuff just to be able to do a full flight from A to B and enjoy the immersion.

Of course if the answer will be "No, it can't" I will try to learn it for the sake of flightsim community :lol: , but I always tend to keep it simple like in Project Airbus V3, and enjoy the immersion with FSPax, ETA, landings, procedures, ATC.

Thanks for being full of understanding. ^_^

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

As far as I know it can't be flown like the default A321. Just fly the tutorial and you'll know everything you need to know.

Marc ter Heide

You must learn the 'advanced stuff' to fly the AS 'Buses - with the assistance of the built in checklists and co-pilot it really isn't difficult.  At a minimum you must read Vol1 and Vol6 of the included documentation and go through the step by step tutorial in Vol6.

DJ

Technically you can operate the A320 using just HDG SELECT, Vertical speed & altitude hold. You don't even need to program the FMGS, just enter the departure and arrival arrival airport.  You can if you wish just fly raw data in rose mode on the Nav display just like the default fs aircraft.  This is done a lot in circuit training real world.

Personally I say follow the advice of others here, spend a little time studying and it will be rewarding in the end,  The AXE is still just a medium level sim, it wont take too long to get up and running

Rob Prest

Technically you can operate the A320 using just HDG SELECT, Vertical speed & altitude hold.

I've tried that and the plane didn't respond to any of that, like in default. That's why I mentioned VNAV and LNAV, thinking I didn't activated LNAV so it didn't respond to HDG SELECT. Turn on Flight Director,, AP, HDG Select and it didn't respond.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I've tried that and the plane didn't respond to any of that, like in default. That's why I mentioned VNAV and LNAV, thinking I didn't activated LNAV so it didn't respond to HDG SELECT. Turn on Flight Director,, AP, HDG Select and it didn't respond.

Well you still need to understand the basics, you can push or pull HDG & ALT to achieve different results.  You pull the heading selector for HDG select, pull the altitude selector for open climb or descent.     Selected modes have nothing to do with  LNAV/VNAV (Managed in Airbus terms)

The basics are - 

SELECTED  (Pull) -  HDG select, Vertical speed, open climb/descent = You are steering the aircraft through the autopilot panel (FCU) just like the default FS aircraft.

MANAGED (Push)  -  Equivalent to Boeing's LNAV/VNAV   you are flying the aircraft through a pre-programmed FMGS 

A simple way to visualize the push and pull philosophy.

Push - You are pushing to give the aircraft full control.

Pull - You are pulling  to take back control and steer through the autopilot

Rob Prest

The moment you switch AP on, the plane will fly automatically. You will need to pull the selector knobs in order to tell the AP to use the values you entered, otherwise the aircraft will fly using its own calculated HDG, SPD and ALT. This is, I believe, a huge difference to Boeing AP logic, where you would press another button to switch between the desired modes.

A simple thing to remember what pushing and pulling the selectors does: Pushing the selector away from you (to the plane) = give control away (over to the plane), pull them in your direction (away from the plane)= take control (away from the plane)

Edit: Rob was faster

Also, get familiar with using the phrase..."What is it doing now?" lol

But honestly. I would take your time, do some reading from the volumes listed above and enjoy it.

On the Right MFD, you can select like stated to have checklists and an FO. This will do 90% of the flight for you. It really is a fun aircraft to learn. There is a lot of tech in these planes.....but it is easy to learn.

I came from nothing but Boeing addons, and I have converted over unless someone comes out with a B717! The logic of an Airbus is just awesome.

Also a lot of youtube videos.

For the autopilot though, everyone is right. They are three way knobs. Push them in to give all control aways, pull them to you to take control and then turn them to command.

Thanks guys, these posts are very helpful! Especially that push/pull philosophy, didn't knew that. *blush*

I will certainly try to learn the plane with the given tutorials, but for the starters I will enjoy some flights with the basic AP mode (pull), I like to control the plane, full FMC automation is boring.

When entering flightplans, can I use default flight planner and import the flightplan into FMC, or I must use FMC flight planning? Can I choose high altitude routes, VOR-to-VOR, or direct, or the FMC will make a flightplan with AIRAC, etc?

Also I was trying hard to accept Boeing addons in my hangar (QW 757 and PMDG 737 mostly). They are awesome addons, but I simply can't get over that messy cockpits, with buttons placed in random fashion, lol. What I like the most in QW 757 is simple way to enter ILS parameters on the glareshield, and it is a very rewarding plane on landings.

Airbus love is something else, my first love, and I can't get over it that easy. :)

Thanks for the help once again. I will play tonight with the AP a bit, simple A to B flight.

I'm not sure on importing default FSX flight plans, as far as I am concerned I have always used the default fligth planer and entered the plans into the FMC manually with the A320/321, maybe that has been changed for the A318/319? But anyway, you will need to enter a flight plan some way or another, the FMC will not build it for you (although that would be a great option for lazy simmers like myself!).

Since you say "full FMC automation is boring", you could build a VOR to VOR fligth plan, and try to hand-fly it. Not as hard as in most other planes to do that, as the FBW system is incredibly helpful: You don't have to trim or antything, the bird will just keep on following the side-stick inputs as long as you don't tell it to do something else. But still you have to be aware of your progress, as you migh miss important turns...

I'm back to AXE, done with NGX. :)

Currently starting to learn via Vol.1 and Vol.6 tutorials, primarily to program the FMGS, but when I flying it manually around the airport to practice takeoffs, landings and to get used to flight physics, I can say it is very irritating when you push the throttle to CL or TOGA, the autothrottle will activate. I simply don't know how to keep A/T off like in NGX to practice manual flight with complete manual throttle control like on finals.

Is there any way to avoid activating A/T automatically?

I'm back to AXE, done with NGX. :)

Currently starting to learn via Vol.1 and Vol.6 tutorials, primarily to program the FMGS, but when I flying it manually around the airport to practice takeoffs, landings and to get used to flight physics, I can say it is very irritating when you push the throttle to CL or TOGA, the autothrottle will activate. I simply don't know how to keep A/T off like in NGX to practice manual flight with complete manual throttle control like on finals.

Is there any way to avoid activating A/T automatically?

Easiest way to disengage the ATHR is by Shift + R (known as the instinctive disconnect which is the red button on the throttles). or by idling the throttles then throttling back up again. 

A/THR only arms when:

- On ground
• By pushing the A/THR pb on the FCU when the engines are not running, or
• By setting the thrust levers at the FLX or TOGA detent when the engines are running.
- In flight
• By pushing the A/THR pb on the FCU while the thrust levers are out of the active range, or
• While A/THR is active (“A/THR” white on the FMA), by setting all thrust levers beyond the CL
detent or at least one lever above the MCT detent, or
• By engaging the go around mode.

Joshua C.

WSSS

coloraerosofta320extdev.png

Easiest way to disengage the ATHR is by Shift + R (known as the instinctive disconnect which is the red button on the throttles). or by idling the throttles then throttling back up again. 

A/THR only arms when:

- On ground
• By pushing the A/THR pb on the FCU when the engines are not running, or
• By setting the thrust levers at the FLX or TOGA detent when the engines are running.
- In flight
• By pushing the A/THR pb on the FCU while the thrust levers are out of the active range, or
• While A/THR is active (“A/THR” white on the FMA), by setting all thrust levers beyond the CL
detent or at least one lever above the MCT detent, or
• By engaging the go around mode.

Thanks for all the info!

But is there any way to avoid A/THR arming at FLX or TOGA detent? I mean every time when I push the throttle to FLX or TOGA when practicing, A/THR will arm, so I must deactivate it every single time.

Thanks for all the info!

But is there any way to avoid A/THR arming at FLX or TOGA detent? I mean every time when I push the throttle to FLX or TOGA when practicing, A/THR will arm, so I must deactivate it every single time.

Short answer, no (at least not in the sim as its non-SOP). Long answer, Depends on what you do:

if you are doing touch and gos, and firewall the throttle, then yes your ATHR will arm no matter what.

If you are doing approach and go around, as long as your FMGS is not programmed, ATHR wont arm.

Shift + R is still the easiest way to get used to the Airbus Philosophy. You should practice using the ATHR, then disengaging on final by lowering the throttles to the current thrust target of ATHR (donuts on ECAM) then instinctive disconnect.

Remember that turning the FD off, forces the A/THR when active into SPEED mode.

Joshua C.

WSSS

coloraerosofta320extdev.png