Sign in to follow this  
Pe11e

Aerosoft Airbus vs. Rookie

Checked it out, no trim axis assigned. Going to have another go now on a full flight, watched some videos on YT, they say much more than the Vol.6 tutorial.

Hmm well thats to bad if your having problems would have been the easy fix - I have some screenshot tutorials I put together if interested let me know - not in depth but enough to get you up and running just highlights fmc - takeoff and landing

Rich Sennett

Currently in flight, and of course new problems. AP doesn't follow the flight plan at all, although I flew SID manually, so maybe I missed one of the waypoints, not sure. Flaps never were retracted by a CP. Also, when I've set flaps in MCDU to 1/0.8UP, CP set them to full, absolutely no idea why. On every flight CP is doing the same, flaps full for takeoff, no matter what I enter in the MCDU, and in most cases that is 1 via scratchpad.

Also when I set the throttle to CLB detent, somehow it doesn't stay locked, that's why I had problems with overspeed. I don't have an idea why it doesn't stay locked in most cases, I check the throttle quadrant few times to make sure it clicked on CLB detent.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Currently in flight, and of course new problems.

Do you have your throttle sensitivity and null zones adjusted per Aerosoft instructions 

Rich Sennett

Do you have your throttle sensitivity and null zones adjusted per Aerosoft instructions 

I've set my throttle axis via FSUIPC, so no sensitivity fiddling there.

Regarding AP won't follow the flight path, I bet it is my mistake because I missed first two or three waypoints of the SID being to distracted with autothrottle and flaps problems during my manual flight through SID. After I missed waypoints I intersected next waypoint, or maybe even the end of the SID, and engaged AP, which was lost completely.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

I dont use FSIUPC - all set just use in sim settings for my controllers - I dont have a rocket science degree to use FSIUPC

Rich Sennett

Currently in flight, and of course new problems. AP doesn't follow the flight plan at all, although I flew SID manually, so maybe I missed one of the waypoints, not sure. Flaps never were retracted by a CP. Also, when I've set flaps in MCDU to 1/0.8UP, CP set them to full, absolutely no idea why. On every flight CP is doing the same, flaps full for takeoff, no matter what I enter in the MCDU, and in most cases that is 1 via scratchpad.

Also when I set the throttle to CLB detent, somehow it doesn't stay locked, that's why I had problems with overspeed. I don't have an idea why it doesn't stay locked in most cases, I check the throttle quadrant few times to make sure it clicked on CLB detent.

Peter, 

Maybe you can try to find someone to coach you over Skype (I can on the weekend) or even better fly shared cockpit so you don't have to panic with a experienced pilot by your side. 

Maybe I am biased,  but i have always found the airbus easy to set up under 5 mins for a quick flight. Persevere on, and don't forget to post screenshots of what you are seeing. 

Joshua C.

WSSS

coloraerosofta320extdev.png

Peter, 

Maybe you can try to find someone to coach you over Skype (I can on the weekend) or even better fly shared cockpit so you don't have to panic with a experienced pilot by your side. 

Maybe I am biased,  but i have always found the airbus easy to set up under 5 mins for a quick flight. Persevere on, and don't forget to post screenshots of what you are seeing. 

Yes, I can set up the airbus in 5 mins for a quick flight, but doing that for N times to see what can I do, and what I'm missing is just frustrating. Now I just want to see can I fly the airbus and activate the checklists with pull mode on AP (not managed) like Boeing without VNAV and LNAV. I love flexibility, as I have it in NGX. Flying the aircraft in managed mode only is just, not boring, but like a linear arcade game... collect the key to open the door to the next level.

Yes, I can set up the airbus in 5 mins for a quick flight, but doing that for N times to see what can I do, and what I'm missing is just frustrating. Now I just want to see can I fly the airbus and activate the checklists with pull mode on AP (not managed) like Boeing without VNAV and LNAV. I love flexibility, as I have it in NGX. Flying the aircraft in managed mode only is just, not boring, but like a linear arcade game... collect the key to open the door to the next level.

Take a break, go to another aircraft. Once you are refreshed and ready, drop me a PM, and lets arrange a short tutorial session.

Joshua C.

WSSS

Take a break, go to another aircraft. Once you are refreshed and ready, drop me a PM, and lets arrange a short tutorial session.

No problems mate, thanks!

I did two test flights today, and had no issues with procedures and AP at all. I'm starting to like this airplane A LOT, although that is not strange because I love airbus. :)

I have few riddles to solve to be able to enjoy it to the max. First one is connected to climb/descent performance, it behaves very strange. I've set cost index to 30, and climb perf is around 290kts. I was flying manually, was on acceleration altitude, engaged AP and CLB thrust, and climb rate went to 4000/5000ft/m, speed was on 290kts. It seems that the airplane is compensating by increasing/decreasing vertical speed (climb rate) to match the climb speed, instead to decrease the throttle in managed CLB mode. The same goes for descend, the airplane kept very high descent rate (around 3000ft/m) to match 290kts, instead to decrease the throttle. I had to set the speed to 250kts and the descend rate will decrease to 1000-2000ft/m eventually. I didn't have that kind of problems when I managed AP modes manually during all stages of flight.

Second riddle is the ILS approach and the RAD NAV page on MCDU. I entered ILS34 frequency and course, but it stays BRK/110.75. Then I watched few videos how to set ILS approach, it seems that I must know the frequency of the localizer and the name/frequency of ILS DME. I simply can't find the name. Looked again in Vol.6 tutorial i couldn't find any relevant information how to fill up RAD NAV page.

I must underline that I didn't used SID/STARs on these flights just to test various flight plans. Will ILS approach work only with STAR approach entered? 

Oops, forgot this, very important! I had assigned axis's in FSUIPC for FLAPS and SPOILERS for other controller that was not connected, so the axis's were locked to some strange value obviously messing with AXE flaps and confusing the coPilot.

Thanks in advance!

No problems mate, thanks!

I did two test flights today, and had no issues with procedures and AP at all. I'm starting to like this airplane A LOT, although that is not strange because I love airbus. :)

I have few riddles to solve to be able to enjoy it to the max. First one is connected to climb/descent performance, it behaves very strange. I've set cost index to 30, and climb perf is around 290kts. I was flying manually, was on acceleration altitude, engaged AP and CLB thrust, and climb rate went to 4000/5000ft/m, speed was on 290kts. It seems that the airplane is compensating by increasing/decreasing vertical speed (climb rate) to match the climb speed, instead to decrease the throttle in managed CLB mode. The same goes for descend, the airplane kept very high descent rate (around 3000ft/m) to match 290kts, instead to decrease the throttle. I had to set the speed to 250kts and the descend rate will decrease to 1000-2000ft/m eventually. I didn't have that kind of problems when I managed AP modes manually during all stages of flight.

Second riddle is the ILS approach and the RAD NAV page on MCDU. I entered ILS34 frequency and course, but it stays BRK/110.75. Then I watched few videos how to set ILS approach, it seems that I must know the frequency of the localizer and the name/frequency of ILS DME. I simply can't find the name. Looked again in Vol.6 tutorial i couldn't find any relevant information how to fill up RAD NAV page.

I must underline that I didn't used SID/STARs on these flights just to test various flight plans. Will ILS approach work only with STAR approach entered? 

Oops, forgot this, very important! I had assigned axis's in FSUIPC for FLAPS and SPOILERS for other controller that was not connected, so the axis's were locked to some strange value obviously messing with AXE flaps and confusing the coPilot.

Thanks in advance!

Screenshots again, will greatly help here. I can only guess from the description you are giving me on whats happening.

Very quick tutorial from takeoff (assuming FMGS is properly programmed).

0. FMA Columns are in this order. THRUST | VERTICAL | LATERAL | CAT STATUS/MDA/DH | AP/ATHR/FD 

1. Set everything on the FCU to managed (dashes should appear).

2. Apply MAN FLX/TOGA. SRS should appear. FCU ALT should be set above THR RED/ACC (THRUST REDUCTION/ACCELERATION - after takeoff) altitudes.

3. LVR CLB flashing. Transition from FLX/TOGA to CLB detend. THR CLB should be annuciated.

4. After THR ACC (which is the same as THR RED if you didn't change the default value), SRS will transition to CLB. Speed target jumps to SPD LIM (which is 250/10000)

5. Retract flaps as necessary (-F or -S Speeds indicated on speedtape)

6. After SPD LIM alt (10000), speed target jumps to ECON IAS. Aircraft pitches down to accelerate.

This is what should happen. Be careful with selecting speeds on the FCU then transitioning to managed (eg selecting 300 knots then pushing for managed), as that can result in unwanted vertical speeds to regain target speed. 

Also, note the difference in the lingo so there is no confusion. acceleration altitude is usually referred to THR ACC. SPD LIM acceleration is after the standard 250/10000 feet restriction.

For the ILS approach, if you have already selected a approach in the FMGS, the ILS is auto-tuned for you. (For example, you should see ILS34 on the ND top which appears when you are close to you TOD).

Otherwise, you can refer to your charts to get the navaid identfier. For example, LSZH ILS 34 identifier is IZS. Hence, if you enter it into LSK3L, the course and frequency will autofill. You can also do it old school and enter 110.75 on LSK3L and then 334 on LSK4L.

A STAR is not needed to select an approach. When you enter the ARRIVAL page from the FPLN page, you are directed to a list of approaches. So if you select ->ILS34, it should already generate a TMPY FPLN (yellow color) with a TMPY INSERT. Just insert it in, and check the results. Do apply caution if you are selecting just the approach without a approach transition or a STAR, as waypoint angles that are too sharp can result in anomaly. 

If you still do not understand what a STAR etc is, this picture should help.

FMGSFPLN.png

For FSUIPC issues, I am not that familiar with that. Someone else should help here or you can contact Aerosoft Support.

Joshua C.

WSSS

Thank you Joshua for a detailed explanation and help, really! I have to read it carefully, and to apply it in my next test flight.

Regarding ILS approaches, I selected ILS34 approach for LSZH in FMGS, ILS34 is on ND top also, but when I opened RAD NAV page to check if it is automatically auto-tuned, every field was blank (name, frequences, course), so I thought it is my job to fill it.

And finally, to avoid any confusion, I'm using the latest version of the bus of course, 1.30 SP3.

Cheers!

I did EGKK to LSGG last night, without using the co-pilot to actually do the checklist items, for the first time. So we are all learning at the moment! :)

I report this topic as trolling Aerosoft's Airbus. :P 

However you can ask Airbus fliers for their saved files and you can fly them from any stage of the flight you like. 

Dirk.

I did EGKK to LSGG last night, without using the co-pilot to actually do the checklist items, for the first time. So we are all learning at the moment! :)

Oh yes, that is the next step. I already did two flights without CP. Anyway both flights went good, but still I have problems with A/THR, it takes like five times to arm it - check my throttle axis is it in CLB detent, check speed knob, disarm/arm A/THR, that's the loop I do at least three to five times after takeoff. Also I missed ILS approach, was on the wrong altitude (currently learning charts) and didn't activated AP2. I still don't know why AP2 is mandatory...

Two A/Ps engaged instead of one increases the safety margin - in real life (only), as the other A/P could take over in case the first one fails. Without failures modeled it has little (to none) effect in this Airbus simulation. (You weren't better off in the PSS, feelThere or Wilco Evolution upgrade buses, either.)