Sign in to follow this  
denali

Prepp3d Views: Peripheral Distortion Correction

For those of you who have been following the thread 

"Multi-monitor (dual, triple, etc) Stretch/Fisheye Distortion Fix"

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/442972-multi-monitor-dual-triple-etc-stretchfisheye-distortion-fix/

If you display a single view with a triple monitor setup you are probably familiar with the "stretched out" distortion that is seen in your side monitors.  

Jackson_Hole_Distort.jpg

This program corrects that distortion.

Jackson_Hole_Prepp3d.jpg

Jackson_Hole_Prepp3d2.jpg

I've completed a very basic installer for a shader that acts as a "software lens", and 2 cameras that use it.  This program will install 2 cameras to your Cameras.CFG file and a PostProcess Shader.    

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lz420p88z9rsucd/Prepp3D%20Views.exe?dl=0

To install, close Prepar3d.  

Start Prepp3d Views, click "Install Lens Corrected Cameras".

Prepp3d_Views_Before.jpg

The cameras are available in Prepar3d the under "custom" in the view menu, accessed by a right click on a view.   

Prepp3d_P3_DContext_Menu.jpg

On it's own, a view using the Lens Corrected Cameras will be lacking something.

Jackson_Hole_Lens.jpg

It needs to be expanded/enlarged beyond your display to look correct.  You can get an idea of what the expanded view looks like in the Prepp3d Views dialog.  

To do this expansion, Prepp3d Views will resize your Prepar3d window (you cannot do this by dragging the frame, and you probably want to be in full screen anyways).    There are buttons for both expanding, and returning to default sizing.   There are hotkeys for both functions.  

Prepp3d_Views_After.jpg

(If you are using NVidia Surround or Eyefinity or other type of setup, it may be necessary to set number of displays to 1.  This is how the program knows where to offset from, as the top left of the main monitor in a normal configuration is where offsets are measured from.)

Because displays can be in different shapes and sizes, there are controls that allow you to set up for different configurations.   You can set the height and width to more accurately fit your displays, and round out the instruments to your liking.  

This version uses a Field Of View setting of 140 x 50.   I believe there is no longer any "graininess" to be seen.  

This is a BETA VERSION, no version number (just call it hello world, or beta version 1).  I hope it works well for you, and that you enjoy the undistorted views as much as I do.  I cannot go back to the old way of seeing the world.  

I have plans for this, and am open for requests.  It may still work for FSX, I have an idea how to get it in there.  I have a good system built for accessing and working with all of the P3D file types now and I think I can make some things easier for configurations and situations.  I have a framework up for rapid development now.  The cameras can be installed into default views as well, and some other neat camera/view stuff may be done in real-time using P3D SDKs.  It may be possible to eliminate the need for the "hack" of oversizing the window.

Some other ideas are bezel correction, and angle correction, accounting for the angle that the monitors are joined at.  Custom FOVs can be done.  

• Upvote 1

I am away for a week but this to my mind trumps the release of v2.4! The awful stretch effect is something that MS and now LM should have addressed long ago. Thanks so much for making an effort to fix it, and I'll give it a try soon :) Cheers K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Thanks for your time and dedication to help fix this problem with widescreen setups. I will test this out when I get a chance.

Great and big thanks, I'll test this tomorrow for sure! By the way, I was thinking that does this work normally with EZDOK?

Great work !

Does it also work in 2D view ?

My real size cockpit uses 2d view...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Thanks for the great contribution!

I am trying your install.  It seems simple enough to activate and I can see the fisheye effect, however, I don't see the expansion.  So in effect, my view looks like the sample with the fisheye lens.  When I try to CTL Win Space / ATL Space functions, the expansion doesn't occur.

I running ATI with 3 24" monitors for 57x12 resolution.  I select that scale and have tried using the 1 monitor vs 3 monitor setting, same outcome.  Let me know if there is anything you recommend.

This is the inserted view in the Cameras.cfg file:

[CameraDefinition.019]
Title = Prepp3D View Lens Corrected Virtual Cockpit 140x50
Guid = {60469E4E-43D5-4f6f-9C53-3B5366645A4D}
Description = This is a non-distorted virtual cockpit
Origin = Virtual Cockpit
MomentumEffect = Yes
SnapPbhAdjust = Swivel
SnapPbhReturn = False
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = False
Track = None
ShowAxis = YES
AllowZoom = TRUE
InitialZoom = 0.6
SmoothZoomTime = 2.0
ZoomPanScalar = 1.0
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = TRUE
ShowLensFlare=TRUE
Category = Custom
PitchPanRate=30
HeadingPanRate=75
PanAcceleratorTime=0
HotKeySelect=1
Transition=Yes
HorizontalFOV=140
VerticalFOV=50
PostProcess00 = Prepp3D View 140x50
[CameraDefinition.020]
Title = Prepp3D View Lens Corrected Spot View 140x50
Guid = {F6299A4A-C95E-4916-9B74-D25306991EC1}
Description = This is a non-distorted spot view
Origin = Center
SnapPbhAdjust = Ordinal
SnapPbhReturn = False
PanPbhAdjust = Swivel
PanPbhReturn = False
Track = FlatChase
ShowAxis = No
AllowZoom = Yes
InitialZoom = 1.0
SmoothZoomTime = 2.0
ShowWeather = Yes
XyzAdjust = FALSE
Transition = Yes
ShowLensFlare=TRUE
Category = Custom
ClipMode = Spot
PitchPanRate=30
HeadingPanRate=75
PanAcceleratorTime=0
Transition=Yes
HorizontalFOV=140
VerticalFOV=50
PostProcess00 = Prepp3D View 140x50

Does it also work in 2D view ?
  Which view/camera do you use?  It should work for any of the default views.  I can make a camera for it.

When I try to CTL Win Space / ATL Space functions, the expansion doesn't occur.
 Did you try the buttons?   There may be a bug;  the first time a button must be pressed.  It was happening in an earlier build and I may have forgotten to bring that fix forward.  Try the button first.

I tried pressing a keyboard button, as well as the combo buttons...no dice.   Thanks....

Another thing I thought of.  In order to identify the P3D window I am using the title of the window.  What title is used on your P3D window?  I've wondered if it is different in different languages.

This thread continues here:  http://forum.avsim.net/topic/452305-prepp3d-views-peripheral-distortion-correction/

I've posted a simple installer.  Let me know over there how it works!

Your link points to this thread...

Reagrding my 2d view :

I am using the default Ifly 2D view , no widescreen enabled and zoom 0.80.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

This thread continues here:  http://forum.avsim.net/topic/452305-prepp3d-views-peripheral-distortion-correction/

I've posted a simple installer.  Let me know over there how it works!

Disregard that.  I was wondering why this post didn't show up in the forum it was meant to go into.

Reagrding my 2d view :

I am using the default Ifly 2D view , no widescreen enabled and zoom 0.80.

I am taking a look at what the IFly views are about.  

When I use the Cockpit view I don't see a panel.  Might not be related.  I don't care to use 2d panels.  But all I see in the cockpit view is a forward looking camera.

I am looking around to see what you mean by the IFly 2d panel.  I'm reading about an issue with the panel not expanding to 5760.  Is that what you are referring too?  Do you have an image you can show me so I can see what you want corrected, so I can understand if I can correct it?  I may ask for a cameras.cfg file too.

Taking the easiest guess, do you just want the shader applied to the 2d cockpit view?  I can do that.  

I've updated the program.  Some changes:

Added button to delete entries from Cameras.CFG.  You can use this to clear and then update the cameras.cfg file with new cameras.  I have plans to grow this into a featured interface.

Version numbers to keep track of changes added to Prepar3d.

A lens corrected cockpit view.  Use the button above to delete the previous version entries, and then add the new cameras.

More robust P3D window finding.  This may still need work.   

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lz420p88z9rsucd/Prepp3D%20Views.exe?dl=0

Disregard that.  I was wondering why this post didn't show up in the forum it was meant to go into.

I am taking a look at what the IFly views are about.  

When I use the Cockpit view I don't see a panel.  Might not be related.  I don't care to use 2d panels.  But all I see in the cockpit view is a forward looking camera.

I am looking around to see what you mean by the IFly 2d panel.  I'm reading about an issue with the panel not expanding to 5760.  Is that what you are referring too?  Do you have an image you can show me so I can see what you want corrected, so I can understand if I can correct it?  I may ask for a cameras.cfg file too.

Taking the easiest guess, do you just want the shader applied to the 2d cockpit view?  I can do that.  

I am using the forward 2D view without instruments visible, because I have the Cockpit Builders Edition.

Resolution is 5920x1080

I am using the forward 2D view without instruments visible, because I have the Cockpit Builders Edition.

Resolution is 5920x1080

Then I think what I've just uploaded will work, the cockpit view.  The trouble with the 5920 is that you may have to use the virtual cockpit view to get an idea how correct the width and height you select for the expansion.  You can tell by how round the guages are.  Then go back to the cockpit and use the same setting.  

I think there is some math I can build in so there won't need to be any manual adjustments, just input display settings.  I might be able to get the display settings programmatically, and I may be able to set everything from within P3D.  Lots of learning and coding to do.

I hope it works for you now.   It would be nice to know one of those hard core full size cockpit pilots could use it.

The latest NVidia drivers gave much clarity to my photoscenery (somewhere around 2TB of it) I was blaming LM and a LOD issue for.  So this is even more fun for me now.