Sign in to follow this  
denali

Prepp3d Views: Peripheral Distortion Correction

I use the 2d cockpit , without Widescreen enabled.

Enabling the Widescreen feature , makes the fisheye effect worse, causes the far distance to be nearer and the framerate goes down by 10% 

My current view uses zoom 0.80 and there is only a distortion at the most left and right monitor from the middle of the screen to the far outside of the screens.

The best view would be 1.00, but then the groundtextures are less sharp in the far distance.

To get sharper textures I should use 0.50-0.60 , but then the fisheye effect gets worse.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I use the 2d cockpit , without Widescreen enabled.
 Have you tried the latest upload?  It has a 2D cockpit.  I don't think widescreen matters with these.  

OK, I see the MESS in the Surround mode now.  I'm on it.

I am also aware that there is still some graininess being reported.   

Hi Denali,

I'm running at 5760x1200, I'll give it a shot in about an hour.

Thank you

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

I'll test the new version next friday when I'm home. And yes, I had some problems with my surround with earlier releas. Big thanks for your work with this! :Applause:

Hi,

Don't think I'm doing this right, this is what I get at 5760x1200.

fisheye.jpg

Mike

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

@Mike and others:

With Nvidia, are you using NvSurround - with what Zoom, WideAspect=true/false? . We aren't talking about separate views for each window/monitor, correct? It would seem that we need to setup for a wider Field of View than normal so the anti-distortion has some more pixels to morph. As far as FPS, it would seem that this would be an extra pass but I'm not sure - Denali?

I really want to have about 170 degrees field of view so that I can see the runway when I turn from base to final. Most of the time, I don't use NvSurround and instead use three separate views (minimal distortion) even though the FPS penalty is high (just use lesser CPU settings - no traffic, low water, low LOD, min shadows etc).

Thanks Denali! I'm about to try this but I would like to see others succeed first (what a wus!)

Dave

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Hi Dave,

I use Nvidia - latest drivers (Titan Black) and use NvSurround (5760x1200), Windows 7 64bit shows one monitor in display via NVSurround. I have P3D2.4 WideAspect set to True. For the zoom I use 62.3 and I'm not using seperate views (VC via Surround).

Note: I also tried the 1 / 3 monitor selector from within Prepp3Dviews, no difference.

Thanks

Mike

@Mike,

WRT Zoom - you said "62.3" - do you mean a Field of View set at 62.3 degrees for each monitor - i.e. about 186 deg FOV. The actual Zoom value for that might be "0.8"? - or am I confused? I would still prefer about 200 degrees of field of view with minimal distortion. What monitors do you use - I have just three 21 inch monitors but intend to go to either 27" monitors or 32+ inch 1080p HDTVs.

OK, I am with you on the use of NVsurround (and NOT separate views) - what are your feelings about the distortion that you experience before Denali's shader fix? Would you please record a 5760x1200 image of the before and after (when Denali gets you setup correctly)? I would like it to be of an airport scene with plenty of buildings in the side views.

Thanks much

Dave

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

Surround is considered 1 screen as far as Windows knows it.   So PV should select it at the start.  The bottom button is what you should press, and it should resize your P3D window/view beyond the boundary of your monitors.  If 1 screen, 5760 and 1200 for display dimension are set, you should have some success at clipping out some of the dark from the window/view.   But you may need to increase the lower numbers to completely clip it out.  From the image you have shown, it doesn't look like the clipping happened.  Did you press the bottom button after running P3D and switching to one of the cameras?  If you did with no good result, can you please tell me what your P3D window is labeled, the title of your P3D window?  It may not be getting a handle and resizing.  

Dave, FOV is set for a camera, and it does not directly correlate to a zoom.  In P3D a camera can have horizontal or vertical FOV that can stretch or compress the view in horizontally or vertically.  Right now the view is set at 140x50,   I have found the best results at that setting.  Which after cropping is around 120 FOV horizontally, which coincidentally corresponds to my physical monitor layout.    But I can make it changeable.  There are however issues that show when going wider in earlier versions of P3D, don't know about 2.4 yet.

Can I try this in FSX? I have a feeling it's going to be the next big thing, especially for multi-monitor pilots like me!

Hi Dave,

I have three Samsung Syncmaster T260HD (25.5") monitors and I have P3D's zoom set at 62.3. At 5760x1200 that zoom setting should be correct based on the math that was done some time ago.

I tried a 1080P monitor, it looked terrible. Unless you want to sit eight, ten or more feet away from the monitor and even then its not so great. I immediately went and purchsed three 1920x1200 monitors (moved the 1080p into the kids Wii room) and I'm looking to maybe go with a 4K monitor. The distortion was bad on both outer monitors before the fix, it looks better but I won't know for sure until I get it working full screen.

If I get setup correctly, I'll get a video online for you ASAP.

@Mike,

WRT Zoom - you said "62.3" - do you mean a Field of View set at 62.3 degrees for each monitor - i.e. about 186 deg FOV. The actual Zoom value for that might be "0.8"? - or am I confused? I would still prefer about 200 degrees of field of view with minimal distortion. What monitors do you use - I have just three 21 inch monitors but intend to go to either 27" monitors or 32+ inch 1080p HDTVs.

OK, I am with you on the use of NVsurround (and NOT separate views) - what are your feelings about the distortion that you experience before Denali's shader fix? Would you please record a 5760x1200 image of the before and after (when Denali gets you setup correctly)? I would like it to be of an airport scene with plenty of buildings in the side views.

Thanks much

Dave

Hi,

Prepp3D Views is setup as follows: Lens Corrected Cameras Are Installed / One Monitor / 5760x1200 / P3D Resizes 6,200 - 2,300 and the Bottom Box (Resize P3D Windows to Expanded Demensions) is selected. P3d shows the custom view as Prepar3D View Lens Corrected Virtual Cockpit 140x50.

Thanks

Mike

Did you press the bottom button after running P3D and switching to one of the cameras?  If you did with no good result, can you please tell me what your P3D window is labeled, the title of your P3D window?  It may not be getting a handle and resizing. 

Mike, can you please tell me what your P3D window is labeled, the title of your P3D window?    I have a thought that the program is not finding your P3D window when you press the "Resize P3D to Expanded Dimensions" button, so it can't resize it.  I have an idea for the fix, but I am curious what you see for the P3D window name on your end.