Sign in to follow this  
denali

Prepp3d Views: Peripheral Distortion Correction

I tried the program and I really like the idea, work as advertised and i really like the view not being stretched out on the side monitors.

Few problems though... :(

1. window becomes so large that it has quite a negative impact on performance once scaled to fit my 3 monitors that run in nvidia surround. it becomes 6300x2400 size, i was playing around with numbers these seemed the best in my quick test. red rectangle was set to 5700x900 if i recall.

2. loss of AA especially noticeable on side screens.

3. spot view almost no AA and it doesn't look good.

4. when increasing the lower values in your program whole window seemed to be moving away to the left

5. I think because of the size of window it was spilling across on monitor 3 and 4 where i have my gauges but that's ok it was below the gauges and did not cover them.

Now, maybe I wasn't using it correctly... not sure.. could be... but that is how big i had to make the window to hide the black corners. I cannot say what the frame rate was as this was well hidden... way outside of display area but performance was definitely degraded due to this large window.

vxi81d.jpg

this is my screen setup

monitor #2 is the nvidia surround this is where main p3d window is with 2d cockpit view i can switch it look outside etc... but that's irrelevant.

other monitors are for panel display in my home cockpit

#1 is main monitor just shows whatever other programs i decide to run like the fs commander or whatever... I also use it in Full Screen mode with wideaspectview ON

what would be cool, but idk if it can be done is instead of increasing the window size is to zoom in or have display only the area inside the red triangle, i tried zooming in in the CUSTOM view that was created but it didn't work, it was not zooming in or out at all, but then the red rectangle would have to keep proportions to whatever the wide screen is in my case 6000x1080 so like idk.. 5.5:1  :)

anyhow, again i might be doing something wrong but if it wasn't for the previously mentioned problems i really enjoyed how it look. much, much better then Nvidia surround stretching !

for my hardware if this is relevant I have 780ti that runs monitor #2 (3 of them in NVSurround) and #1, and GTX680 for monitors 3,4,5

Andy

Hi Denali,

Here is a screen shot, I think this is what your looking for (Custom View / Prepp3D View Lens Corrected Virtual Cockpit 140x50 / 0.64 Zoom).

P3Dfisheye3.jpg

Mike, can you please tell me what your P3D window is labeled, the title of your P3D window?    I have a thought that the program is not finding your P3D window when you press the "Resize P3D to Expanded Dimensions" button, so it can't resize it.  I have an idea for the fix, but I am curious what you see for the P3D window name on your end.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Mike, Thanks for the screenshot, but not what I am looking for.  The title bar of your Prepar3d program when it is not in full screen as it is above is what I am asking for.  If the program is working, when you click the expand button you should see only what is inside the red rectangle in your full screen view.  So I think the program is not connecting with P3D to resize it.  I have a probable fix on the way.  

Andy,

1. There really is no performance impact over your distorted view if displayed over the monitors it was displayed on before.   The red box is represents 1/10 of what your display is.  The image behind the red box represents what P3D will resize to, if functioning properly.  But the graphics processing still happens as if it was displayed the original size.

2.  AA or any other anti-aliasing can be done through adding another shader.  I'll add this option sometime.  What you are seeing is the graininess that can be seen because the image is being compressed.

3. There is no difference between the spot view and virtual cockpit, exact same shader.

4.  Thank you for reporting this; I'll look into it.

5. last but not least, this is a beta, almost alpha stage program.  I really need these reports, but please don't expect much to be tuned in right now.  I realize that there is going to be a lot of variation as to how it is used and how many displays.  There is some control for the user now, but in the future I usually will try to make the software do whatever it is that needs to be done.  This will take a bit of thought, but I find it actually causes less confusion.  Sorry for the confusion now if it's there in any amount :)

Pleasing you with your screen setup is a worthy goal.

Confusion is what kills software.  Confusion eats development plans for breakfast, lunch, dinner and heavy snacks.  My job as a developer is to embrace that confusion, and stab it in the gut like Brutus and his friends did to Cesar, before it beheads my project.

Zoom will not work when FOV is set.  There may be a way around that, but I will have to do it connecting to P3D.  I haven't built that in yet, but almost a next step now.  

Thank You for the feedback and don't hesitate to keep making suggestions.  I hope to have something out in a day or two.

Hi Denali,

Thanks, that fisheye look really kills the triple monitor experience!.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

@Mike,

Denali needs the top left name in the title bar before you go into "full screen" mode. Mine says "Lockheed Martin @ Prepar3D@ v2 " where the "@" is really the copyright circle around an R.

PC=9700K@5Ghz+RTX2070  VR=HP Reverb|   Software = Windows 10 | Flight SIms = P3D, CAP2, DCS World, IL-2,  Aerofly FS2

1. There really is no performance impact over your distorted view if displayed over the monitors it was displayed on before. The red box is represents 1/10 of what your display is. The image behind the red box represents what P3D will resize to, if functioning properly. But the graphics processing still happens as if it was displayed the original size.

after resizing part of the window is displayed on screens 1, 3 and 4. #2 being the intended screen..

as i mentioned in here

5. I think because of the size of window it was spilling across on monitor 3 and 4 where i have my gauges but that's ok it was below the gauges and did not cover them.

are you sure there is no processing done in this area? I did see the runway moving moving while i was a moving.... this is the picture of the actual screen as seen by person.

monitor #1 is on far right on the picture there is part of window visible on monitor 1 also

zyVW9NZ.jpg.

(please ignore what you see on first officer side this is basically monitor #3 as there are 2 number #3 monitors its just Y-split cable so whatever is displayed on #3 is also displayed on second #3... anyways irrelevant to the case lol)

well what i am saying is that since all this is being displayed beyond the intended screen monitor #2.. i would think it does get processed by graphics card and that is why i am seeing drop in performance (fps/smoothness wise) it is still very flyable but definitely slower then when only the intended screen #2 is used.

as example when i start p3d its just a small window in the center of monitor #2 whit whooping high FPS (well actually only 33 as this is where i locked it) unlocked its obviously in high 50+ when i start stretching window over all 3 monitors of screen #2 more pixels to process for GPU and the FPS count starts dropping... well i never use it like that simply go to full screen at which time my FPS goes down to 20-25FPS sometimes less or more depending on whats on the horizon.

I will try later to maybe rearrange the screens and place the #3,4,5 on the side then the resized window will not show on them.. ?

anyhow I will definitely follow this topic and try new version you come up with and play with it on my end...

Again Again and Again !!! i think what you got here is amazing, even with the lower performance that i have noticed so far I think the program is amazing and I am looking forward to new improved versions you come up with...

The only other way i know of to achieve that is by opening 3 separate windows and then configuring them and whatever... i didn't even bother with the other way by the other guys as after only opening 3 more windows and putting then on other monitors of display #3 performance is a joke.. it might work with multi computers but a no go on one computer..

So what you got working on here is GREAT!

Shader as you mentioned for the AA artifacts well we wait for later versions..

also for the window running away to the left seems that after clicking extra time or two on both resize buttons in your program it somewhat fixes itself and seems to center on the screen #2

Looking forward to your development and i will also play around with my screen setups etc.. see if i get some improvement yet.

Thanks

Andy

@AndyCYXU

First, great cockpit. A tip for ur problems with the nvidia surround. If u only activated surround to use it for prepar3d u can deactivate it. U dont need it. The solution of denali makes a native call on the windows api that resizes your prepar3d window to a higher resolution. It doesnt matter if u actually have that resolution. It will get resized anyway. So if u have any problem u can turn surround off. Im not sure but for the lower monitors i think u will have the mfd and so on... That means u would open up a second view with fs panel builder or something, and for that u dont need surround.

Greetz

Hi,

Ok, this is what it shows.

P3DFisheye4.jpg

@Mike,

Denali needs the top left name in the title bar before you go into "full screen" mode. Mine says "Lockheed Martin @ Prepar3D@ v2 " where the "@" is really the copyright circle around an R.

@AndyCYXU

First, great cockpit. A tip for ur problems with the nvidia surround. If u only activated surround to use it for prepar3d u can deactivate it. U dont need it. The solution of denali makes a native call on the windows api that resizes your prepar3d window to a higher resolution. It doesnt matter if u actually have that resolution. It will get resized anyway. So if u have any problem u can turn surround off. Im not sure but for the lower monitors i think u will have the mfd and so on... That means u would open up a second view with fs panel builder or something, and for that u dont need surround.

Greetz

OK great ! i will give it a try, yes i am using NVsurround but you might be onto something i will try it later disable the nvidia surround maybe it with conjunction with the program is messing things up.

correct for instruments on other monitors etc.. i just open new views in  p3d and drag them there, this picture doesn't show them there as i was just messing around with the View program.

thanks

Andy

@Mike

Im actually writing a program that will resize the window, it doesn't matter how your window is labeled. Denali will then implement this in his script :D Givme about 30minutes.

Greetz

Hi,

Thats great, thanks guys...

ok i tired it and there isn't much difference.

the bad:

1. i cant go into full screen across 3 monitors (later i found maybe i could manually adjust position of full screen in prepar3d.cfg so that might fix it, didn't try it)

2. horizon brakes when turning kind of like using nvidia surround without bezel correction. it can be minimized by playing with resolution numbers but its there.

3. Not really bad thing just something i had to do screens used must be in sequence from left to right and they must be first or it wont place the window where you want it. manually moving window is not possible ofcourse since the size of it

the good

1. well i could see the FPS had to move the window so it wasn't placed properly where it should be and even though there is a drop in performance it is not huge and i never said it was huge, but its there. minor still flyable what not...

overall i think its better with nvsurround on main thing was i cannot go into full screen over the 3 screens... also with surround on horizon or even the ground does not brake when turning.

anyways back to nvsurround and really the main downsides i see are

1. Somewhat drop in performance

2. AA well the distortion stuff that might need work.

Andy

7LkZZC7.jpg

OtEaDCc.jpg

pLE2X43.jpg

so you can see as it spreads to the other monitors and I think that might cost me few frames :)

it looks actually much better if you sit in front of screen not from the angle i made the pictures and clearly shows how the building on the left is not stretched silly like the default views.

sorry if these pictures are big they are links so i guess they adjust to size.. :Worried:

EDITED i noticed i have 5 screens selected in last shot i was just hurry to make a picture, it actually doesn't make any difference if i choose 1 or 2 or 5 or whatever  i was testing with 1 last night this is from another testing today.

Andy

@mike

Hi Mike

I finished the program. U can download it from here: http://www.share-online.biz/dl/LX0J8SCN7PS. It should be clear what values u have to fill in. Its not beautiful coded, but it works. Just put in the values and try it out. I didn't implemented any validation for the values so attention what u fill in. Let me know if it worked. U only need the .NET Framework Version 4.0, but i think u have this one already installed.

Greetz

Hi,

Thanks, I'll give this a try.