Sign in to follow this  
majapahit

endless Console Errors /handlers-mcp.lua ? PMDG NGX 737 arithmetic on a nil value

I get endless Console Errors /handlers-mcp.lua

I have to press Pause the Console each time at startup to stop the Console

my question is:

1. a solution?

2. I cant find any mentioning of this error in a much used Module PMDG NGX?

Using Linda 2.07 and latest NGX module

thx

copy of the error:

[E] *** LUA Error: ...in\Prepar3D v2\modules\linda/system/handlers-mcp.lua:168: attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value

The line referred to in above error in system/handlers-mcp.lua is part of the Display function of MCP and toggles between showing Input mode and Flight Data mode (it seems, I am not particularly good at this):

-- Updating current flight info

if ipc.get("DSPmode") == 2 then

-- only if no rotaries where move in last second

if ipc.elapsedtime() - ipc.get("FIP") > 1000 then

DisplayFlightInfo ()

end

else

-- only if no rotaries where move in last second

this is line 168 >>>          if ipc.elapsedtime() - ipc.get("FIP") > 10000 then    <<< this is line 168

local info = "M" .. tostring(ipc.get("EFISmode")) .. tostring(ipc.get("MCPmode")) .. tostring(ipc.get("USERmode"))

if info == "M111" then

if FLIGHT_INFO1 ~= '' then

Dsp0 (FLIGHT_INFO1)

else

Dsp0 ('    ')

end

else

Dsp0(info)

end

Intel 2500K | AMD 7970 | Win7x64 | 16GB | TV 40" | Touchscreen 22" | HOTAS | Rudder | MCP | FFB Joystick | FSX-SE | Prepar3D | DSC A10

I get endless Console Errors /handlers-mcp.lua

I have to press Pause the Console each time at startup to stop the Console

my question is:

1. a solution?

2. I cant find any mentioning of this error in a much used Module PMDG NGX?

Using Linda 2.07 and latest NGX module

Sorry to hear of the problems you are having. So I can see where the problem lies can you answer a few questions:

1. What Combo panel are you using? I assume the Combo II Boeing.
  2. Have you modified the 737NGX module?

Also can you PM me a cut and paste of the console output as follows:

1. With P3D, B737NGX and LINDA running (with Console open).
  2. Go to the LINDA settings page and click Reload Lua Engine.
  3. Cut and paste from the line *** START *** to the repeating lines of the error you report.  As you say you many need to click Console pause to do this.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

Hi

thank you for your response, my reply is a bit late, had Saitek USB trouble (USB conflict with my Logitech 350 keyboard it turned out) and a P3D update to 2.4

I'm having these Linda 'NGX' errors with a
- MCP original combo
- windows 8.1 x64 USA
- prepar3D (just now v2.4)
- Linda 2.07
- FSUIPC4, Version 4.936b (latest 4.936c ready to update for 'SIM1 Frictions acces' error)
- PMDG NGX updated (SP1c or something like that)

I also have - it seems - some LCD output troubles.
I have 'garbage(?) ASCII' output between SPD and HDG, where - i can remember - there should be additional autopilot data be displayed.

Could be a Font Encoding error? My WIndows 8.1. is straight US american version (?).

I attach 2 pics of the output of the LCD

THX
marcel tjoeng

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.936b by Pete Dowson *********
Reading options from "G:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Modules\FSUIPC4.ini"
Running inside Prepar3D v2 on Windows Vista
Module base=52BC0000
User Name="Marcel Tjoeng"
User Addr="mtjoeng@gmail.com"
FSUIPC4 Key is provided
WideFS7 Key is provided
System time = 07/10/2014 01:00:42
FLT UNC path = "\\QUAD\WD2T\TEKST\Prepar3D v2 Files\"
Trying G:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Modules\SimConnectP3D2.dll
Found it: trying to connect
FS UNC path = "\\QUAD\3T\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\"
LogOptions=00000000 00000001
[E] ### Failed to obtain SIM1 Frictions access: no frictions facilities available!
Reason 6: SIM1 base=5ADE0000
FrictionAddr=5AEDD578 contains 3F59999A
BrakingAddr=5AEDE838 contains 5C28F5C3
Wind smoothing fix is only partially installed
SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay
Trying to use SimConnect Prepar3D
VRI port 1 "com5" opened
Running in "Lockheed Martin® Prepar3D® v2", Version: 2.4.11570.0 (SimConnect: 2.4.0.0)
Initialising SimConnect data requests now
FSUIPC Menu entry added
\\QUAD\WD2T\TEKST\Prepar3D v2 Files\King350 @24 EHRD 2 EHEH.fxml
I:\TEKST\Prepar3D v2 Files\EHRD-EHEH.pln
\\QUAD\3T\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\SimObjects\Airplanes\Beech_King_Air_350\Beech_King_Air_350.air
I:\TEKST\Prepar3D v2 Files\EHRD-EHEH.pln
VRI FMER ("MCP Combi") detected on port com5
System time = 07/10/2014 01:07:11, Simulator time = 09:54:29 (08:54Z)
Aircraft="Beech King Air 350"
Starting everything now ...
LUA.0: beginning "G:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Modules\ipcReady.lua"
LUA.0: ended "G:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Modules\ipcReady.lua"
LUA.1:
**************************** START ******************************
LUA.1: [awg]VRI Type = 1
LUA.1: [awg]MCP Set = mcp
[E] *** LUA Error: ...d Martin\Prepar3D v2\modules\linda/system/events.lua:495: attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value
[E] *** LUA Error: ...d Martin\Prepar3D v2\modules\linda/system/events.lua:508: attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value
[E] *** LUA Error: ...d Martin\Prepar3D v2\modules\linda/system/events.lua:521: attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value
[E] *** LUA Error: ...d Martin\Prepar3D v2\modules\linda/system/events.lua:534: attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value
[E] *** LUA Error: ...d Martin\Prepar3D v2\modules\linda/system/events.lua:557: attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value
[E] *** LUA Error: ...d Martin\Prepar3D v2\modules\linda/system/events.lua:570: attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value
[E] *** LUA Error: ...in\Prepar3D v2\modules\linda/system/handlers-mcp.lua:168: attempt to perform arithmetic on a nil value
Advanced Weather Interface Enabled

etc

1200CIMG1866.JPG

1200CIMG1865.JPG

Intel 2500K | AMD 7970 | Win7x64 | 16GB | TV 40" | Touchscreen 22" | HOTAS | Rudder | MCP | FFB Joystick | FSX-SE | Prepar3D | DSC A10

Hi marcel

Thank you for the info and photos. I see you have the original MCP Combo 1 which is not available to me (or others who could help you). I am away from my system at the moment but I will check your errors as soon as I can. I suggest you try installing LINDA 1.13 which is compatible with the MCP1 but I don't know it compatibililitywith the PDMG 737NGX module. First go to you P3D folder/modules/ and copy the 2 folders /Linda and / Linda-cig to a new location and delete the existing folders.

From what I have learnt the MCP1 has limited functionality especially in what it can display. The standard flight data (SPD/HDG/ALT) display is fixed. There is only room on the display to two 4 character messages like the corrupted one you in photos. All the buttons (except the radio and knobs) can be linked through LINDA to call various functions in the LINDA module, key sequences or FSX commands.

Let me know how you get on.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Hi Marcel

I'm back at my system now and have had a chance to look at your error reports.

The problem lies with an internal timer that allows the display to revert to a previous output. The timer is ipc.elapsedtime() and is not being set correctly before a series of MCP1 only calls (namely, SyncBackSPD, SycBackHDG, SyncBackALT, SyncBackVVS, SyncBackCRS and SyncBackCRS2 in Events.lua and the same test at line 168 in handlers-mcp.lua.

I see that you have the default FSX aircraft Beech King Air 350 loaded. This has no module associated with it ie. no actions.lua file in the /modules/linda/aircrafts/Beech King Air 350 folder.  The actions.lua module is the key to giving LINDA its flexibility to interface with various custom aircraft functions.  In your case LINDA defaults to standard functions allowing only SPD/HDG/ALT/VVS to be displayed.

Try selecting another aircraft (e.g. PMDG 737NGX or Aerosoft Airbus X Extended) and associated module and see if the problem goes away.  

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

err, same happens - same error # - with PMDG NGX,

I started to become aware of the error because of the popping up of the concole

but the main reason this happens with PMDG NGX, my main aircraft to run the sim at all

I'll try reverting to linda 1.3 first as suggested

Hi Marcel

Sorry that hasn't fixed it. I think you have a corrupted set up. Did you see my earlier post this morning (my time) regarding backing up your current LINDA and reinstalling v1.13 and PMDG 737 NGX module again?

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Rev. 1.13 fixed above console error + restored mode feedback on the LDD

can see my MODE output now

great

so I guess I'll stick to rev. 1.xx series

I noticed now

update of LCD of aircraft status like 'flaps:xx' is really slow (like a 30 sec lag) is there any way were I can tinker with the timing of that?

Thx a lot

Hi Marcel

I am pleased that you were able to fix the errors by going back to v1.13.  I am doing some extra work for LINDA 2.01 which might overcome your issue. However, I said without a MCP1 for testing compatibility cannot be guaranteed.

Are all updates to the LCD slow or just the flaps. Also for the MCP1 with the 737NGX module should only display 'F:xx' or 'F*x'.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Hi Marcel

I am pleased that you were able to fix the errors by going back to v1.13.  I am doing some extra work for LINDA 2.01 which might overcome your issue. However, I said without a MCP1 for testing compatibility cannot be guaranteed.

Are all updates to the LCD slow or just the flaps. Also for the MCP1 with the 737NGX module should only display 'F:xx' or 'F*x'.

That would be great

'However, I said without a MCP1 for testing compatibility cannot be guaranteed'

I can beta test for you :)

'all updates to the LCD slow or just the flaps'

only noticed flaps, reeealy slow, I'll test other, perhaps its the PMDG NGX that has slow flaps, but i count after move light out

AP 'A' and/or 'B' and LandingGear 'UP'/'DN' I saw we're ok

I'll have another look (some default planes)

thx

Hi Marcel

The 737NGX flaps are slow to extend/retract. I suggest you monitor the Flap Indicator (centre panel) when you operate the flaps. The MCP value should only change once the select flap position is reached, not what you selected.

I will probably take you up on your beta testing offer. I'll PM when I have something.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

Think I figured out what happens (with my rig).

I had low (very) FPS at the landing threshold, like minus 10 FPS

After some searching, via PMDG Performance Manager I set VC Model and Display from 'high' to 'Low'

With last test, both landing and Flap Output to LCD were on par.

Seems when I was stretching my CPU capacity when landing due to the PMDG VC calcs

I was also stretching output to the VR MCP,

pmdg data output maybe/prob be a low priority

thx

coming to think of it

if you're building LINDA 2.01

dunno if that includes the 737NGX module

but since 737NGX has slooooooow flap movement

it could be considered that LCD output doesnt show FL:<reached> but FL:<set>

for instance, when flaps bound to an axis (like me)

one can monitor 'dailing in' of the flaps on the LCD

it takes the mind of flap position reached check/tasking,

never mind the sloooow travel setting flap position implies, it will get there somehow/anyhow

(equally so when one hits F7 flap notches, you would then see - hopefully - the flap numbers pass by)

2cts?

Hi Marcel

Good that you have found the reason for the slow performance.

My knowledge is with the Aerosoft Airbus and the Airbus FCU and changes to LINDA to make these compaitible. I did get myself a MCP2 to test that I have done nothing adverse users of that panel. I will be issuing an update to the Aerosoft Airbus module based on 2.5b10 and 3.0.1 along with LINDA 2.1 to work with the new Aerosoft Airbus releases. However, I won't be touching the PDMG 737NGX or any other modules.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

The display on the MCP2 shows the position of the flap handle selection not the position of the flaps themselves, but if the flaps are moving to the selected position then either a < or > symbol will show next to the number i.e. 5> to show that the flaps are moving to that position. Once in position the > symbol will be removed. I'm not sure if the MCP1 screen has enough room to display that info or not its been a very long time since I used my old MCP1 which is now in storage. This info is correct as far as the NGX is concerned, I can't comment with certainty regarding other aircraft that Linda supports.

Cheers, Andy.

Hi Andy

Many thanks for your posting. Yes, on the MCP2 the 737NGX module outputs the flap position and the direction of travel. However, inspecting the code, shows that on the MCP1 all you get is 'F:' followed by the selected position (ie. F:30) on the top line and either the APU state (on ground) or Gear position (in the air). The MCP1 is limited to 2 lines of 4 characters.  I cannot account for the slow update that Marcel is seeing other than his slow system.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK