Sign in to follow this  
jjjallen

Windows 9 To Be Free Upgrade!

Well I have done a flight with Win10 and so far all seems to work, even EZdok. So far so good.

Well I have done a flight with Win10 and so far all seems to work, even EZdok. So far so good.

Any noticeable advantages? Better frame rate, smoother flight, quicker startup? Anything that would point to win10 being a more attractive choice?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Any noticeable advantages? Better frame rate, smoother flight, quicker startup? Anything that would point to win10 being a more attractive choice?

I noticed a slight decrease in initial load time however loading the flight itself appeared unchanged. Other than that everything seemed to run the same as before.

So this is interesting, its quite literally Windows 8.1 with a start menu, virtual desktops, and the paste able command prompts. That's all that's new(at least in this preview). That being said, the joystick issue might still be there. If you want it fixed, you have to spam it to Microsoft to get it fixed.(that is if they haven't fixed it yet). I can see why MS  would wanted to give this OS for free. Also you can take off the metro apps from the start menu and have it back to the old start menu. The reason for W7 users to upgrade to this is the performance improvements that came with W8 are also in this. This means no Aero.

Ah, so they are following Nvidia's lead, and "missing a step".

nVidia could have called all the 28nm Maxwell cards as GTX 8xx, but then when the 20 nm cards came out as GTX 9xx, they would have been stuck with a lot of discounted unsold hardware. Usually, nVidia introduces new cards just to stay a step ahead of AMD. Unfortunately, because of the lack of available 20 nm chip capacity, they were forced into this position.

So wait... everyone complains that Windows 8 has tiles and a start screen and that it's too different from 7 (and yes, the problem IS INDEED people fearing change). Then, in Windows 10, they add the features people missed from 7, so now, everyone complains it's too much like 7 (or, specifically, about the features that are like 7).

Different strokes for different folks, I know, but really, are any of these people thinking logically? I haven't seen a single LEGITIMATE complaint. I can respect things like "it doesn't work for me because A, B, and C", not a paradoxical, circular argument. Open mindedness and a little patience can go a long way.

(This is after spending time working with now four different Windows releases and two Linux distributions as a desktop operating system. I'm not a ######, believe me, if I could get another OS to keep the same application compatibility as Windows, it'd be off my desktop by the end of the week.)

I'm excited to see Windows 10 in action. I've gotten used to the start screen in 8.1 as I can't stand running out of date anything and I see 10 as a welcomed improvement to my desktop workflow.

Collin Biedenkapp
Chief Executive Officer
TFDi Design (Invernyx) | Website

Pastely-ish art deco, via Miami Vice. And lifeless generic icons flat as a pancake....... :-/

I'm still trying to like the flat icons on my Ipad...... :-(

Icon and color replacement packs will become very popular with this. Unless MS blocks them.

More power to anyone who likes it, though!

Don't worry - the 3D look will make a strong comback some day.

I have an MSDN subscription but have learned to at least wait for the first public release when it comes to OS's.  With an OS usually comes driver incompatibilities - you can usually count on it.  W10 might be different though since it is offered as a Windows update if the rumor is correct.

Regards

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

MS should have just kept selling 7 its stable, easy to use, and Joe consumer doesn't buy a PC just because it has a new version of windows. So people would have kept buying new systems even if they still used 7 10 years from now. I've built 3 systems since 8's release two for myself and one for family and all have been built with windows 7 and my next system will be built with it too, even though that's about 3 years down the road. What I find amazing is the sheer number of Apple laptops on my college campus. I'm like the only person who uses a windows system. I don't get whats so great about the Apple OS? To me its very constraining and Apple laptops are very expensive for what they are. I'm also like the only person who uses an Android phone, sorry but I don't like how apple runs their app store nor do I like being tied to Itunes

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

No joystick disconnects like 8.1?

None at all, however I never had any in Win8 either.

I'm hoping some people who do/did have problems with it in 8/8.1 will be able to try it out and report on it.  I'm rebuilding my PC this weekend with new hardware and have been totally on the fence whether to go 7 again or use the $40 Win 8 Pro upgrade download I purchased when it was first released......and then update to 8.1.  The joystick issue with 8/8.1 just has me totally spooked though.  I have FSUIPC full version but would prefer to use the Saitek profiler software to program all 3 modes of my buttons on the stick.  Really hoping 10 fixes the issues.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

I'm hoping some people who do/did have problems with it in 8/8.1 will be able to try it out and report on it.  I'm rebuilding my PC this weekend with new hardware and have been totally on the fence whether to go 7 again or use the $40 Win 8 Pro upgrade download I purchased when it was first released......and then update to 8.1.  The joystick issue with 8/8.1 just has me totally spooked though.  I have FSUIPC full version but would prefer to use the Saitek profiler software to program all 3 modes of my buttons on the stick.  Really hoping 10 fixes the issues.

From further research and looking around the OS it appears that Windows 10 is smarter than 8/8.1 in the sense that it won't select hardware such as joysticks for the "Power Saving Mode". My X55 does not appear in the list neither does it have the option to turn it on or off unlike other devices such as my Printer and external HDD's.

Maybe MS have listened after all as so many people complained about this.

From further research and looking around the OS it appears that Windows 10 is smarter than 8/8.1 in the sense that it won't select hardware such as joysticks for the "Power Saving Mode". My X55 does not appear in the list neither does it have the option to turn it on or off unlike other devices such as my Printer and external HDD's.

Maybe MS have listened after all as so many people complained about this.

That sounds like good news so far.  In reading about these issues on 8/8.1 I even ran across stuff about it shutting off and turning back on USB ports that had for instance cell phones or similar attached to it to charge.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

i backed up my windows 7 hardrive and installed windows 10 and using it for daily use at the moment, fsx and p3d both work great, no disconnects from my controls,i am very happy with the direction microsoft is going if it stays this way,i am gonna stay with windows 10 unless a new update breaks something. the nice thing is with the tech preview you no longer have to fresh install the next new build, it's done right through windows update.

i backed up my windows 7 hardrive and installed windows 10 and using it for daily use at the moment, fsx and p3d both work great, no disconnects from my controls,i am very happy with the direction microsoft is going if it stays this way,i am gonna stay with windows 10 unless a new update breaks something. the nice thing is with the tech preview you no longer have to fresh install the next new build, it's done right through windows update.

Did you have disconnects in 8/8.1?  I think I asked you about this over at the ORBX forums on your post there.