Sign in to follow this  
Superpilotv2

English Electric Canberra PR.9

Hi guys,

searching for a plane which trys to get you killed every time you fly it? Which has it´s own head and doesn´t want to obey your orders? A plane which does not only look like a flying door but also feels like one?

Then get the English Electric Canberra PR.9! Every flight a challenge, when you get it down, you´ll be a true hero.

Ok, it has it´s good sides with being able to fly up to about 50.000 ft, having quite agood range and being somewhat fast. But it will try to kill you, no matter what you do!

This is my initial feeling about that gem from Just Flight.

Have you read the flight manuals? Do you keep an eye on your airspeed? The Canberra is one of the best military jets released for FSX, and the real aircraft themselves were not known to 'bite' except at times on finals.

Plus, what are you doing at 50,000? Thought these birds were rated to 47,000 operationally.

Hi guys,

searching for a plane which trys to get you killed every time you fly it? Which has it´s own head and doesn´t want to obey your orders? A plane which does not only look like a flying door but also feels like one?

Then get the English Electric Canberra PR.9! Every flight a challenge, when you get it down, you´ll be a true hero.

Ok, it has it´s good sides with being able to fly up to about 50.000 ft, having quite agood range and being somewhat fast. But it will try to kill you, no matter what you do!

This is my initial feeling about that gem from Just Flight.

You might be interested in some of these Wings Over New Zealand podcasts.

http://wingsovernewzealand94621.podomatic.com/

Episode 47 has an extended interview with real life Canberra test pilot Noel Kruse.

Quite a lot of insider information there.

(Like the one engine failure "dead man's window" just after takeoff)

I think there are another seven interviews there with him talking about other aircraft including a lot about the Sabre.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

The Canberra is one of the best military jets released for FSX, and the real aircraft themselves were not known to 'bite' except at times on finals.

I din´t say it´s bad, the model, VC and systems are spot on. It just feels very sluggish when flying slower.

Thanks, seems very intersting.

Having the correct amount of fuel left in the correct tanks will help, almost as much as making sure you've read the doc's.  Anyone that installs this and does what we all do (load aircraft, default 100% fuel, ctrl+E, hand fly a circuit), is going to get a nasty surprise!

Once you know what to do, it's a very, very rewarding plane to fly and as Andrew said above; one of the best military jets ever released.

Cheers

Paul Golding

Having the correct amount of fuel left in the correct tanks will help, almost as much as making sure you've read the doc's. Anyone that installs this and does what we all do (load aircraft, default 100% fuel, ctrl+E, hand fly a circuit), is going to get a nasty surprise!

Well Paul, looks like I have a really challenge in front of me!

Btw, has anyone had problems with starting the engines manually? I did everything according to the checklist and the egnine eventually spooled up, but no sound was played and the engine shut down again after reaching appox. 30% RPM. Using CTRL+E started them then up correctly (with sound).

I like the JF Canberra, but there's something strange with the flight model: The rudder autority and directional stability. The plane fly sideways if you kick the rudder. It doesn't just "yaw", it really flies sideways. It's really strange. I don't know if it's reallistic, but it's really annoying. And you cannot simply check the "autorudder" option to avoid it because it doesn't work well with the Canberra.

Don't get me wrong, the JF Canberra is awesome, but this strange directional stability behavior is really annoying because, on a landing approach, if you misuse the rudder, the plane would land pointing the nose to one side and going the other way around.

Well Paul, looks like I have a really challenge in front of me!

Btw, has anyone had problems with starting the engines manually? I did everything according to the checklist and the egnine eventually spooled up, but no sound was played and the engine shut down again after reaching appox. 30% RPM. Using CTRL+E started them then up correctly (with sound).

Does the same occur if you follow the steps in our video?

Martyn - Just Flight

Does the same occur if you follow the steps in our video?

Can´t do it atm but AFAIk I did all according to the Checklist. Can´t remember doing something in contradiction to the video. I will test again and report back.

EDIT: Did it according to the checklist in the manual, now everything worked as it should. The only thing I could speculate is that I used Inverter No.1 instead of No.2 when I had the problem.  Don´t know whether this could make such a strange problem.

http://wingsovernewzealand94621.podomatic.com/

Episode 47 has an extended interview with real life Canberra test pilot Noel Kruse.

Quite a lot of insider information there.

(Like the one engine failure "dead man's window" just after takeoff)

I think there are another seven interviews there with him talking about other aircraft including a lot about the Sabre.

gb.

Thanks for that tip! I seldomly had so much fun than hearing Noel Kruse takling about the "good" asymetrical thrust abilities of the Canberra and his experiences with teh DHC-4 Caribou. Sadly some episodes are really badly recorded.

Just Flight  did an amazing job with the Canberra, one of best purchases I have made.

Takes a bit of effort to master but is very rewarding to fly once you do.

SuperPilotV2,

Really sorry if I came across as terse, I certainly didn't mean to.

The PR9 takes some handling, yes, but as previously stated once you are on top of it, very satisfying to fly indeed. I'm sure you'll have many a good hour in this iron bird as I have.

Now all we need is a VC10 and a 747SP.

All the best,

Andrew.

SuperPilotV2,

Really sorry if I came across as terse, I certainly didn't mean to.

The PR9 takes some handling, yes, but as previously stated once you are on top of it, very satisfying to fly indeed. I'm sure you'll have many a good hour in this iron bird as I have.

Now all we need is a VC10 and a 747SP.

All the best,

Andrew.

No problem, you were absolutely correct. That´s what happens if you don´t read the maual and just take off...

Thanks for that tip! I seldomly had so much fun than hearing Noel Kruse takling about the "good" asymetrical thrust abilities of the Canberra and his experiences with teh DHC-4 Caribou. Sadly some episodes are really badly recorded.

Yes amazing stuff.

That guy definitely has more than nine lives.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.