Sign in to follow this  
ryreaves

FSX Freezing Up After Complete Reinstall

Hi all,

I've dealt with freezing issues in FSX before and they all seemed to be resolved by putting that uiatuomationcore DLL into the FSX root folder. Anyways, I had to reinstall FSX due to a hard drive crash and now pretty much every single flight I do I will freeze up at some point. I've looked at event viewer and it does not show what exactly is faulty. Any idea what I should do? I am running FSX on windows 7 64 with UT2, Active Sky Next and the  2013 FPS booster. 

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Crash To Desktop (CTD) Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Any idea what I should do? I am running FSX on windows 7 64 with UT2, Active Sky Next and the 2013 FPS booster.

I strongly suspect the 2013 FPS Booster is at fault. It adds tweaks to your fsx.cfg. Anytime tweaks are added to your fsx.cfg, problems can occur. The AVSIM CTD Guide provides some possible solutions to freezes.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi there,

Thanks for the link. I used an older version of that booster before my hard drive crashed and never had any freeze problems. I did go into the booster program and change the settings then flew a fairly short flight and still froze near the end of it. The only new thing I am using is Active Sky Next. I did however use Active Sky Evolution. I do finally now see something faulting. It is the Kernelbase.dll and the strange thing about that is the error report for it is not when FSX froze up. This latest freeze occurred at  1:37am and the Error that mentions that DLL says  12:47 AM So it looks like something is faulting before I even encounter the freeze. . I do not see this DLL mentioned in the CTD guide. What exactly do I need to do to get rid of this? I will say that today I got notified that an update for my drivers came out so they're up to date and of course the problem is still present. 

The kernelbase.dll usually indicates a problem with a driver. Many have fixed it by reinstalling their video card driver. You might also download one of those driver scanning programs to see if you have any hardware drivers out of date. It's freeware to find out if you have any bad drivers. Payware if you decide to let the program download and install the updated drivers.

When I got unexplained freezes I used the Process Monitor:

Setting up the Process Monitor for FSX – Another investigative tool used to pin down a situation where FSX/P3D freezes, crashes, or stutters/pauses during a flight is to run a utility called Process Monitor - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645. During your flight, this utility monitors activity such as calling textures, AI aircraft schedules, ATC, weather updates, and scenery loading. When FSX/P3D stutters or FPS drop dramatically you simply write down the time it occurred. This is important as thousands of entries are made every minute, every second. Continue doing this throughout the flight. Of course, if it freezes, you will know what was going on before the sim froze. This utility will not show you a definitive cause of your issue but it will show you what add-ons were being loaded about when you received the stutter, the long pause(s), and the freeze and you can further investigate by disabling that scenery, that aircraft, or whatever might have caused the event. One member used this utility to determine that My Traffic X, version 5.4c was the cause of a BEX/StackHash/NTDLL.dll crash he was getting. It was easy to disable My Traffic X in the Scenery Library and find that FSX no longer crashed.

AVSIM recommends you do not run a flight any longer than 60 minutes as the Process Monitor log becomes quite large. For a 60 minutes flight, expect the file to be at least as large as 8GB’s or tens of millions of captured events. Make sure you delete the log or move it to another drive after you have finished your testing to free up HDD space. Another recommended tip is to make sure you use system time to mark the time of each event and do not use an external clock unless they are sync’d. Going through one minute of a glitch is a massive amount of data needed to be reviewed (it goes fast as thousands of entries just show a scenery being loaded).

To run this utility properly, you need to capture only FSX/P3D events. It would be nearly impossible to find a possible glitch if Windows events or other system activities were being logged too. AVSIM recommends opening of the Process Monitor when you are on the active runway and preparing to takeoff to save space on your HDD:

Open Process Monitor. Click on the Filter tab and then Filter….

Display entries matching these conditions:

Where it says Architecture, click on that and select “Process Name”

Go next to the blank box and click on that and select FSX or P3D.exe and make sure “Include” is shown (FSX or P3D must be running when you do this!!). Once completed, click on Add and then click OK at the bottom of the form and Go Fly.

When the flight is finished, immediately go to the Process Monitor application and hit Ctrl+E on your keyboard to capture the events (event logging will continue until you do this). Shutdown FSX/P3D and begin your investigating!

You can use the utility while in Full Screen mode or Windowed Mode. In Windowed Mode you can monitor what is happening instantly but it is best to run Process Monitor in Full Screen (unless you are seeing freezes in Windowed Mode).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks again for the response. Do you have any particular driver scanning program you would recommend getting? 

Thanks again for the response. Do you have any particular driver scanning program you would recommend getting?

I have used Driver Scanner and Driver Genius.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Are both of those free or do I have to buy them?

None are free. It's freeware to install and run the scanner and for the program to tell you what drivers are out of date. Payware if you decide to let the program download and install the updates. If you are familiar with Google, the scanner will tell you what updates are needed and you can search for the driver on the Internet, download and install it yourself. There are many updates that are not accomplished by Windows Update. Most of your hardware (except video card and sound card) are not updated by Windows. USB 3.0 and USB ports, Intel Chipset Device drivers, SATA Host Controller Drivers for your SSD/HDD's, and Bluetooth drivers are some of the updates that occur quite frequently especially on newer computer systems. I think the cost for a yearly license is about $30. Also, if you have a newer computer system, the maker of your computer or motherboard updates drivers very frequently. You will never get notified of these updates by Windows Update. Some of those will be found by the driver scanner program but mostly it is best to visit the motherboard maker (like ASUS) and check for updates or updates to the BIOS.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Ok, this is really strange. I just did two flights including a stop at the gate and no freeze up at all. When I closed  fsx and looked at my event viewer it shows there's an error with that kernel DLL. What exactly does this mean?  I did run one of the scans and none of my graphic card drivers are out of date. It does show two intel chipsets are though. Also, I should have noted I run FSX on bootcamp. I know to update those chipset drivers I wait for boot camp to come out with an update for that(the latest update for that was today) Maybe that explains why I did not freeze on these flights? Still perplexes me why I would see that kernel DLL. 

Again, the Kernelbase.dll usually indicates an issue with a driver but there is no known solution for every kernelbase.dll faulting modules. This is why an individual must investigate his particular circumstance. It could be a buggy driver or a corrupted driver too. You can try scanning your system for missing or corrupted drivers - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/sfc-scannow.htm . Even high fsx settings might trigger the crash. This is why one of the primary solutions for every fsx crash is to rebuild your fsx.cfg as this will eliminate any illegal or invalid parameters and bring the settings down. Bootcamp could be a problem as FSX was primarily developed for Windows and not Apple's OS-X but the program supposedly ensures compatibility. Just make sure you have the latest version of Boot Camp installed (think 5.1).

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

I ran that scan and it did not find anything wrong. I also did not encounter any Kernel DLL errors today I did have two freezes, one occurred within 30 mins of a flight the other after three hours of flying and hitting TOD.If I reset the FSX cfg will it ruin anything? I'd need to eventually boost it again with that booster program though. 

99% of all long flights (over an hour) that crash are caused by an OOM or FSX has run out of virtual address space (VAS).

If I reset the FSX cfg will it ruin anything? I'd need to eventually boost it again with that booster program though.

Moving the fsx.cfg to a temporary folder will not remove any of your booster program settings. What you are trying to do is determine what causes your crash(es). Rebuilding your FSX.cfg is the number one solution for fixing FSX crashes as it eliminates any bad tweaks or parameters you might have placed in your fsx.cfg. It will also return your high fsx settings to the default. If rebuilding your fsx.cfg fixes your crashes, then you know why fsx is crashing. If the crashes continue, then simply move the fsx.cfg you moved back over into the fsx folder where the fsx.cfg is suppose to reside and delete the one you just rebuilt.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

If that does happen to fix the problem. Will it just recreate it once I reapply the booster settings? Right now I'm running some flights without Active Sky Next to see if that somehow could be a problem. If I still freeze up without ASN running then I guess I'll rebuild the CFG.