Sign in to follow this  
Acetone

Talkeetna [Outerra scenery]

Thanks Acetone.  Now that's cruising in style!  Impressive night sky shot with all those stars! :Star:

Holy smokes... it's been quite awhile since I browsed the Outerra forums, there's a quite a lot going on there.  Notably, I saw that Manfred Jahn's BT-67 has been ported in, complete with quite a bit of working instrumentation.

So, vector data, runways, buildings, aircraft with JSBSim flight models, and now people working to recreate real world regions where you can fly and drive?

I'm pretty sure i need to check this out further!  I know what I'm doing this evening. ^_^

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

So, some users on the Avsim's Outerra forum have asked me to share some of these pictures here.

A few questions for you:

- I was tooling around reading the Outerra forums yesterday for quite some time, but I couldn't find any references to a timeline when they plan to introduce inland water & rivers.  I'm gathering that's in the works at some point as it would kind of have to be.  Do you know anything further on this?

- Also, how hard is it to import vector data? I've done a lot of work in QGIS with various vector sets for certain areas, and I'd love to see how well it works in Outerra.

From what I can see, if it's relatively easy to set up airports, there's really no reason why a group of individuals couldn't quickly flesh out a region; Alaska is a great candidate for that!  Perfect for doing some bush flying!  For me to get interested enough to become involved, there would have to be inland water though; it just doesn't look quite right without it.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

A few questions for you:

- I was tooling around reading the Outerra forums yesterday for quite some time, but I couldn't find any references to a timeline when they plan to introduce inland water & rivers.  I'm gathering that's in the works at some point as it would kind of have to be.  Do you know anything further on this?

- Also, how hard is it to import vector data? I've done a lot of work in QGIS with various vector sets for certain areas, and I'd love to see how well it works in Outerra.

From what I can see, if it's relatively easy to set up airports, there's really no reason why a group of individuals couldn't quickly flesh out a region; Alaska is a great candidate for that!  Perfect for doing some bush flying!  For me to get interested enough to become involved, there would have to be inland water though; it just doesn't look quite right without it.

The Outerra team seems to at least partly prioritize things by what projects they are working on with their (military scientific and other) partners.

We know they have somebody working on the UI, they have shown previews of clouds and lighting, and have spoken often of a new road system.

Since rivers and etc will essentially be "water roads" I suspect we will be hearing more about water at about the same time as the new road system is previewing. (whenever that is)

As always with Outerra, patience is a virtue, though I must say the pace of development seems to be noticeably accelerating.   :smile:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

A few questions for you:

- I was tooling around reading the Outerra forums yesterday for quite some time, but I couldn't find any references to a timeline when they plan to introduce inland water & rivers. I'm gathering that's in the works at some point as it would kind of have to be. Do you know anything further on this?

There is almost never a clear timeline for features. Since the clouds announcement (1 year ago  :( ) they seems to have choosen to not speak about new stuff unless they are almost certain they can release it. As HiFlyer said, they have numerous private partnership projects (wich are probably the biggest part of their income).

What we know so far is that the rivers are supposed to be handeled as vectors. I quote the 2013 retrospective blog post :

Some of the internal features being developed to handle the needs in this area:

• extended road system capabilities - separate properties for the left/right side, configurable road profiles, markings
  • seamless road joins, splits (the existing data format puts some limitations on it)
  • "river bed" road profiles and river water surface shaders
  • polygonal vector mode for larger overlays - large rivers with well defined bank shapes, lakes, but also for fields, pastures, artificial trees or tree removal, terrain leveling etc

And Cameni has recently open a thread for suggestions related to the road editor update. It does not mean however that rivers and lakes are gonna be a part of this update.

There is no public SDK for this, but it's planned (an OSM import tool). Hard to tell what kind of tools are used in the partnership projects, but they have many times mentioned that they need to be involved in each one because the engine, the documentation and the SDK are not enough advanced for external users to work alone with it.

As HiFlyer said, the key with Outerra is patience. They have released a fairly big update last month, we can expect one month or two before the next big feature :)

(And I agree with you, inlands water is really important for the world credibility)