Sign in to follow this  
Angelo Cosma

Looking for a 27'' 2560X1440 Monitor

Hey guys my Birthday is coming up and I am thinking about upgrading visuals.

I currently have a Dell IPS 24 at 1920X1200 and have had for many many years. I want to go bigger but never ventured too far into looking for monitors.

What are your guys' suggestions?

Would a 27'' at 1920X1080 be just as good, since there is a significant price break between that and the higher resolution monitor?

I would like to spend no more than $500 if that is reasonable. 

Any help is appreciated, thanks guys.

Running a EVGA 670 GTX.

Higher resolution will tax your graphics card more, I run a U3011 at 2560x1600 on a GTX690 and clouds certainly tax it quite a bit. That doesn't mean I don't average 22-30fps with P3d mostly maxxed out except for a few shadow sliders. If you going with 27" I would try and snag a u2711, Dell really makes a great monitor and you will get a far superior display over anything that's 1920x1080. From your current resolution I am guessing you have a U2412 or u2410 which is a fantastic monitor with very true color reproduction and you will see a step back going to a lower resolution. The u2711 runs native at 2560x1440.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

I was actually thinking of getting a bigger monitor and selling my 7 month old Asus - this is it   

http://www.amazon.com/PB278Q-27-Inch-LED-lit-Professional-Graphics/dp/B009C3M7H0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412008532&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+27+pb278q

This is top of the line and I have had dell monitors but anyway as you can see its under your 500 dollar price

Rich Sennett

Angelo,

Moving from a 24" to 27" display seems hardly worthwhile. You'll get used to the larger screen in a matter of weeks and the higher resolution will reduce fps.

Instead consider a LED TV. I bought a Sony 32" and the size increase is dramatic. Its 1920x1080 res means things aren't quite as crisp but frame rates are unaffected from my 24" Dell.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

That does look like a great monitor for that price. Rich if you get it let me know. My birthday isn't till the 18th.

I was actually thinking of getting a bigger monitor and selling my 7 month old Asus - this is it   

http://www.amazon.com/PB278Q-27-Inch-LED-lit-Professional-Graphics/dp/B009C3M7H0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412008532&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+27+pb278q

This is top of the line and I have had dell monitors but anyway as you can see its under your 500 dollar price

Higher Res is definitely better eye-candy. But you will have to upgrade the video card as it will impact performance big time. I have a Yamakasi Catleap Q270SE with a GTX770 SC and still it crawls when clouds come in.

Good luck.

You think the 670 will struggle with just the single display? What if I lowered the cloud rez to 2048 or even 1024 if it was that bad?

Titan here but thinking of backing off on resolution for bigger screen  

Rich Sennett

The BenQ seems fine on FPS. I haven't noticed any difference between 1920x1200 and 2560x1440

Then again, I never use anything other than 1024 textures. Never have, never will. 

I also don't push the sim that hard with Cars, boats and other superfluous stuff.

I have the Dell U2713HM, combined with a 770 gtx 2GB ., i5 2500 @ 3,5 Ghz

I also haven't noticed any difference between 1680 X 1050 , 1920 X 1080 and 2560 X 1440 IN FSX (cpu bottleneck ?).

Never tried P3D, in DCS i saw  performance drop,  (from 60 +  to 40 FPS, which is still enjoyable)

My advice: go for a bigger screen, in the flight  simulation world size matters.
Personally , i would go for a 32''  2560 X 1440 monitor as the above mentioned BenQ  or the Acer B326HUL.

If you are looking for a nice 27" monitor try this one.  

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-27-ips-led-hd-monitor-black/7814005.p?id=1219294099929&skuId=7814005&st=categoryid$pcmcat200900050014&cp=1&lp=1

The price is right even at $199 and even the $299 I paid for mine about a year ago when upgrading from a nearly ten year old 19". I think you will be hard pressed to tell the difference between the higher resolution you want and this one.

Terry

You think the 670 will struggle with just the single display? What if I lowered the cloud rez to 2048 or even 1024 if it was that bad?

Ive ran the clouds at 2048 before, using 4x SGSS in Nvidia Inspector and when its very cloudy or overcast flying the NGX or other fps heavy airplane it really crawls down to low teens. Last time i checked i had them at 1024 and using 2X SGSS(havent flown the sim in a while since im learning a new machine in RL :) ) I do not have everything maxed and always fly with minimal traffic.cars.boats etc.

the screen is great i love it. I dont know how your 670 will hold up but you can always hold back on the settings and also upgrade the gpu in the future. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Cheers