Sign in to follow this  
MarnoKoen

URL link expired

It seems we have different opinions on that topic and we won't agree anyway. So no need to go further.  :wink:

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

It seems we have different opinions on that topic and we won't agree anyway. So no need to go further.  :wink:

Yeah, we won't agree and PMDG won't change a thing anyway, so moving on...

Surely the 777 is not a year old already?

(Just checked) how time flies!

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

What if you make a backup, your link expires, and then the next day you have a systems crash? It's not always "no one's fault but your own'.

And $5 isn't a steep price, but it isn't nothing either.

That's why I said make a couple backups. I put a copy on my HE and a copy on flash drive.

Sure there are many hypothetical things you could argue, link expired then dog ate flash drive, house burnt down, tornado swept house away with backups, etc. Sure in unlikely circumstances then yes, it wouldn't be your fault since you took the right steps.

We're not talking about those circumstances though. This is about a fellow who either didn't read the link warning about the limited time the link is good for or just didn't bother to make a backup for whatever reason.

Yes, $5 isn't nothing, but if the OP can afford a rig to run FSX and afford to by the PMDG products, then he can probably afford the 5 to replace it and will have learned his lesson. At least he doesn't have to pay full price to replace it.

Jim Burke

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Call me old fashioned, but I'm still of the belief that the burden should remain with the customer when it comes to properly protecting their purchases.  I didn't throw away my old CDs (and floppies) when I finished installing things.  Now, when I get digital software, I back it up on external media (both an external hard drive and a CD).

There are positives to both operations, just as there are negatives.  To those arguing that it is unacceptable, or perfectly acceptable, both sides need to wake up and smell the proverbial coffee.  Neither side is a perfect choice: permanent downloads come at a cost of absorbing the increased bandwidth (an unknown and variable cost, mind you), along with an increased exposure to piracy (a permanent link has a higher risk exposure, regardless of download limits, when compared to expiring links); non-permanent downloads come at a cost of time for re-enabling links when a verified customer is established.

It's fine to have an opinion, but you have to remember that different businesses run themselves differently.  UAL charges for bags.  SWA doesn't.  They're generally going after different markets, and have different settings to make those decisions.  I, personally, think that charging for bags is somewhat dumb (not only for the nickel and diming impression it gives off, but for the inevitable arguments and delays that comes from telling Joe Dude that his "carry-on" will have to be checked...and the following abuse of gate-check bags), but at the same time, UAL makes a ton of money from it.  Who am I to tell them that they're wrong for making a bunch of money from it.  It's their business choice, and it clearly didn't drive too many customers away or they wouldn't be making money from it.  Would they make more if they didn't?  Who knows...I sure don't, so I'm not going to criticize their choice of business practice other than to say I don't prefer it.  It's not absurd, or unreasonable.

Kyle Rodgers

Hey folks,

I'm annoyed concerning the following:

I bought a new PC 'cause the old one was to slow for running the 777. Now I wanted to install the 777 as quick as possible. My backup-file is on a HDD stored in my office. My new PC is at home. So I decided to pay the 4,95$ to get a new download-link and the 777. I thought, this would be much easier and faster than to go to my office at my free-day...

The thing I had not considered is, that I had to open a ticket at the support after buying the re-download. A PMDG-Member has to send me a new link, after checking manually if I bought the full 777base-pack before. Now I am waiting half the day - and I think I'll have to wait until this evening, cause the guys (in the US) sleep when I'm awake and are awake when I (Europe) sleep. 

They're programming an aircraft like this, and it's not possible to check automatically that I've bought the 777 basepack at the release day (it's even shown in my order-overview)?? That is really customer-unfriendly and upsets me today.

Tomorrow I'm in my office and could take my backup-file - I think I won't get the download link much faster. An obvious hint, that I've to wait until the customer-Support sends me a new link, would have been great....

When I buy software online, I expect that I get the product after buying - regardless if it's a new download or a re-download...

Regards, Jack

* Normal response time is less than 24hrs. Worst case response time may take 48hrs for this service due to weekends, holidays or other service interruptions.

This information is actually available in the product description under the "more details" link.

While I feel for your dilemma, you knew what would happen all along.

Otherwise, see what Kyle said.

I'm annoyed concerning the following:

While I somewhat understand your annoyance (it's 2014, systems could automatically check your info), the option isn't billed as "faster than you getting to your backup."  It's billed as "an option for you to get an extra file since you don't have any other option."

It's being offered to give people options when they have lost their original file.  You attempted to buy it as an option to get to a new file, faster.  That's not what the service is meant for.

...that's like me buying an airline ticket to have dinner.  Sure, dinner is offered, but that's not the point of the service.

Kyle Rodgers

No arguing with your logic, Kyle. You sure you were not watching too many Perry Masons when growing up?

Hey,

I know that the re-download should be the last possibility. But I was too excited today if my nem System run the 777 better than my old one (it was not really possible to enjoy it on this System). I Think some of you will understand me - remembering the times directly after the 777 release.

I just had in mind, that it was possible to re-download the package directly, when I had to pay the 4,95$ für the NGX in the past (at that time, I had no backup).

Now I went to my office and took the external HDD withe my backup. So the 4,95$ is my tip for the PMDG guys ;)

Good evening / afternoon / morning ;)

No arguing with your logic, Kyle. You sure you were not watching too many Perry Masons when growing up?

haha - I need people to argue with my logic.  It helps me realize I'm using flawed logic from time to time.  As for the Perry Mason bit, my mom always said I should've been a lawyer.

Kyle Rodgers

As for the Perry Mason bit, my mom always said I should've been a lawyer.

There you are. Now I know my hunch was right. You and me, re:our mums. Mine always said I had an answer for every question and was too smart for my own good!

Please, point me to another company that sells digital goods and has the same policy

https://www.fspilotshop.com. You have 20 downloads and the link expires after a year. To reactivate all the products I bought there would cost me 200 $. 4.50 for each product, even though I have 19 downloads left.

@Sbacchini: I agree with you! The argument about not buying storage but a product is absurd. The product is stored once for all customers and the only individual information stored is the customer purchase/account information.

In my case fspilotshop has of course stored all my account and purchase information. I can see that I have 19 downloads for each product I purchased, but to actually download I have to pay an additional 4.50 $ for each product.

Now I don't really care about the fspilotshop downloads because i have backed up all my installations, but since I wised up I am only buying products from flightsimstore which have links that never expire.