Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

2.3 -> 2.4 update report

John, I actually deleted the cloud.fx  file (based on the posts in the other thread) and let patch recreate the file.

One other thing I noticed is the "fresh" new p3d.cfg also defaults the ground_shadow_texture_size to 2048 (I thought Rob mentioned it would now default to 512)...

Everything good with Robs procedure.

FSdreamteams addon manager refuses.

I'm unsure about the cloud size fix, LM provided a few weeks ago (GetScreenQuadPositions( quad, width*0.5, height*0.5 ): removed it and clouds got very big again and frames dropped down to the half. So I assume, this fix should be left in?

But the bugfix list says this have been fixed!?

Just download the add-on manager. That will get it to work

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

Good to know it's working well for many of you ... there will always be exceptions given the vast difference in Hardware/software and 3rd party add-ons.

If that was the case then Rob would of included this in the instructions.

I mentioned changes to those files in my original post ... there are several changes that folks may have made to the \ShadersHLSL files ... later on in the thread Jim Robinson brings up the specifics about how to make sure patch will update those core LM files that folks may have updated  (i.e. Cloud.fx and others).

From my original post:

NOTE: If you’ve made any changes to files in …\ShadersHLSL you may need to edit and re-apply those changes (and delete your shaders).  Some of the ShadersHLSL files have change and the prior process to update these could reference wrong line numbers - so proceed with caution.

Jim Robinson brought this to my attention and was discussed here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/452190-prepar3d-v24-patch-will-be-released-monday-92914/?p=3083665

If you don't have the original LM files, then backup and then delete your Cloud.fx file and the patch will create a new one.  This same process can be applied to other files in the ..\SharderHLSL folder tree that may have been modified.  Thank Jim R. for testing this and his information.

Cheers, Rob.

Just download the add-on manager. That will get it to work

Yes, the new Virtuali Add-On manager works fine - however be aware the "setup_addonmanagerX.exe" properties is showing the same file version "2.9.0.24" but the file is actually smaller and NOT the same as the prior "2.9.0.24" Add-On manager.  Not a big deal, but for those of you like myself that manage versions it did throw me for a loop until I noticed the file size was different.

Orbx DLL's will update automatically.

Cheers, Rob.

Update Successful!  and its great to have the shadows behaving...the scene is so nice.....  

The question arises in my head: Why would a installer replace all the necessary files in the update process by new ones and leave one behind? Could it be that the cloud.fx is not part of the updated files? And that those tweaks are still valid? :rolleyes:

regards,

The cloud.fx IS updated and the tweak IS included.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

The question arises in my head: Why would a installer replace all the necessary files in the update process by new ones and leave one behind? Could it be that the cloud.fx is not part of the updated files? And that those tweaks are still valid? :rolleyes:

I think it has to do with the save date/time of the file, in my case I had made some changes to Clouds.fx on Sept 23 and it appears the new v2.4 Clouds.fx is dated Sept 18th so the installer apparently doesn't overwrite files that are newer than the ones contained within the patch installer. Those tweaks are still valid, it appears LM fixed the cloud scaling problem GetScreenQuadPositions( quad, width*0.5, height*0.5 ); using the exact tweak they posted for us to do manually. They didn't change GetPointDiffuse( Out.diffuse, position, spriteCenter.xyz ); to GetPointDiffuse( Out.diffuse, position, groupCenter.xyz ); however.

That last tweak (for cloud contrast) was on line 313 of Clouds.fx in v2.3, it is now on line 311 indicating something else was changed in Clouds.fx. For that reason it's recommended that you update to the new v2.4 version of the file.

If you forgot to return your Clouds.fx to it's v2.3 original state or didn't make a backup before you applied the v2.4 patch you can just delete or move Clouds.fx from the ShadersHLSL folder and reinstall the patch. Same goes for HDR.hlsl in the ShadersHLSL\PostProcess folder which is the one we did the HDR transition time tweak in and also the "toning down the bloom" tweak.

Rain.fx is another one we tweaked (reducing the opacity of the rain) but the patch will not replace this one. That must mean the file wasn't updated in v2.4.

Jim

Hi Folks,

Anyone care to inform us how 2.4 runs, is it any better than 2.3 or is this just more cosmetic.

Has the intermittent scenery stutter been address as I see there were some rendering changes.

I have removed p3d completely from my system as I was just getting very frustrated with the stutters...not Vsynch...so before I do a complete reinstall just wanted to get some feed back...otherwise it could be a very long wait until I use it again..

With thanks

I think it has to do with the save date/time of the file, in my case I had made some changes to Clouds.fx on Sept 23 and it appears the new v2.4 Clouds.fx is dated Sept 18th so the installer apparently doesn't overwrite files that are newer than the ones contained within the patch installer. Those tweaks are still valid, it appears LM fixed the cloud scaling problem GetScreenQuadPositions( quad, width*0.5, height*0.5 ); using the exact tweak they posted for us to do manually. They didn't change GetPointDiffuse( Out.diffuse, position, spriteCenter.xyz ); to GetPointDiffuse( Out.diffuse, position, groupCenter.xyz ); however.

That last tweak (for cloud contrast) was on line 313 of Clouds.fx in v2.3, it is now on line 311 indicating something else was changed in Clouds.fx. For that reason it's recommended that you update to the new v2.4 version of the file.

If you forgot to return your Clouds.fx to it's v2.3 original state or didn't make a backup before you applied the v2.4 patch you can just delete or move Clouds.fx from the ShadersHLSL folder and reinstall the patch. Same goes for HDR.hlsl in the ShadersHLSL\PostProcess folder which is the one we did the HDR transition time tweak in and also the "toning down the bloom" tweak.

Rain.fx is another one we tweaked (reducing the opacity of the rain) but the patch will not replace this one. That must mean the file wasn't updated in v2.4.

Jim

Jim is absolutely right. That's why I always first make a backup copy and rename it to  "???.fx.original" before I make changes to the "???.fx" file. When I pepare for the update I delete "???.fx" and rename "???.fx.original" to "???.fx". This procedure makes sure that the timestamp of the original file is not changed.

Harry

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

ok, made the test myself:

deleted everything of the files, also cloud.fx and applied the patch again:

cloud.fx gets replaced and the new one contains the line GetScreenQuadPositions( quad, width*0.5, height*0.5 );

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No joy...the p3d.exe did not update...am doing a full install. At least with a full install, you KNOW you have a true and working v2.4.  So...a cup or three of coffee, and bringing back the add-ons...

Mine install went smoothly.  But it's not like that clean shaven feeling.

Mine install went smoothly.  But it's not like that clean shaven feeling.

I had to do a full install..but..it turns out (for me...and my sense of did it..or didn't it...lol) that that was the way to go.  Because i backed up what Rob said before I uninstalled v2.3...it was a breeze to get everything back...probably as fast as having used the did-it.or-didn't-it-patch.  I installed v2.4 into the folder that held the now uninstalled v2.3. Everything that was custom..was of course still there...and that meant..that as soon as I had run v2.4 once..and then shut it down...and then brought back my dll.xm. files, Scenery.cfg, Exe, etc...all my add-ons worked right out of the box...saved flights..right there..and the only thing I had to reinstall (because v2.4 overwrote the files...) was both ORBX GLOBAL and VECTOR. That was it....all other ORBX airports came up as normal, with the reintroduced v2.3 scenery file.  So...I know beyond a doubt that I have a true working copy of v2.4...and not possibly a hybrid, or worse,  still the v2.3 exe code, but merely a name change....  Doing a full install, ...you know it the updated program.   All in all, after the full install, it took only ten minutes to be fully up and running once more with all my add-ons...  Good go.... 

Well...OK....I wonder if anybody that went the patch route..actually got v2.4....and why do i ask?

NOBODY yet..is mentioning the fabulous new Raptor..!!!!   New cockpit...new exterior graphics...and a KILLER new after-burner effect...with color enhancements...and glow.

If you don't have a new Raptor...that's a good indication that you were not patched...

Still finding new things...and is it ever smooooooth!

Like somebody already said..the best P3D version ,yet!

Again..the Raptor is ace!