Sign in to follow this  
Guest Peter Wilding

Flight Environment Crashes FS9

Guest bobsk8

Doing my favorite think lately, spending money on FS9 I decided to buy Flight 1's Flight Environment last night. I installed it , took a quick look at the clouds, and went to bed. This morning I get up for a day of fun flying around, boot up FS9 as usual, and turn on Active Sky and immediately the screen goes jet black, and FS9 crashes with the note about letting Bill Gates know what my problem is, if I want. OK, I started checking things, cause the first crash happened as I was panning around the VC of a Beaver that I installed some mods to the panel in, last evening. OK, boot up with another aircraft. Same thing. Now I am thinking, maybe Active Sky is having a disagreement with FE, so I will leave Active Sky off and select weather in FS9. As soon as I engage some clouds, it crashes again. Well that's it, out comes Flight Environment.. System Restore should save the day, cause now I don't know what clouds FE replaced, and since I had substitute clouds, this could be a problem if I just uninstall FE. OK system restore done, start up FS9 and bam,...off it goes again. @3@#@<<* , should have left well enough alone...... Now lets look at this logically, it works until I call up clouds... Ah... one of the menus in FE asks if you would like to create DXT3 clouds for better frame rates, and I had checked that. I never use Render to Texture, and I have several aircraft with DXT3 textures and have never had a problem, but I am going to turn Render to texture On in FS9..Problem fixed!!!! So remember, if you select that option of the DXT3, switch on Render to Texture. That should be something they include in the manual with FE, and I didn't see it...

Guest spookymufu

Okay, so just to be clear, it wasnt FE that caused the crash, it was that you used DXT3 textures and didnt check the approriate box, a mistake, but not a direct cause of FE, that works fine right?I dont know if it is in the manual or not, I'll look later but I am glad it is all working good for you now, how do you like it?

Guest allcott

This has been a noted issue since long before FE was released- it's also included in FS Sky World readme, just about every FAQ forum for flight simming, and has been mentioned many, many times in the various forums round here. So perhaps you might like to correct your mistake - by asking the moderator to change the heading. I looked in because you misinformed us as to the content and find nothing to do with Flight Environment. Allcott

Guest bobsk8

>This has been a noted issue since long before FE was>released- it's also included in FS Sky World readme, just>about every FAQ forum for flight simming, and has been>mentioned many, many times in the various forums round here.>So perhaps you might like to correct your mistake - by asking>the moderator to change the heading. I looked in because you>misinformed us as to the content and find nothing to do with>Flight Environment. >>>Allcott My reason for posting this, was to shed light on the problem that someone might easily overlook when installing this piece of software, especially when it is not mentioned in the manual. As I stated, the result is your FS9 repeatedly and quickly crashes on boot up. Not a nice thing after you just installed a major piece of software, and you can't figure out what the heck got messed up. I have been playing around with sims for around 15 years and know a little bit about the subject and I also know that I have been running several add-ons for over a year, with DXT3 files and Render to Texture off , and have had no problem with any of them. My point in this post was to point out that even if other things with DXT3 work OK with Render to Texture Off, apparently FE Clouds do not. Just trying to keep someone from doing a complete install of FS9, overlooking this issue, as I did a first.

Guest bobsk8

>Okay, so just to be clear, it wasnt FE that caused the crash,>it was that you used DXT3 textures and didnt check the>approriate box, a mistake, but not a direct cause of FE, that>works fine right?>>I dont know if it is in the manual or not, I'll look later but>I am glad it is all working good for you now, how do you like>it?If it is not included in the manual, it definetly should be , near the cloud selection information. So far I like the program have to do some more flying with it, but the clouds so far look good and it seems to be working well with Active Sky.

Guest bobsk8

Well I got to fly FE around this evening in the Misty Fjords and UT Alaska area. One word, Fantastic. The clouds , and water effects are Great!!!!!!! Excellent Program

Guest Peter Wilding

Thanks Bob, and sorry we left out that vital information in the manual. Glad you like the program after all your frustrations and hard work to get it going.I'll make sure we update the manual and get it in there.Regards,Peter Wilding (Developer of Flight Environment)

Guest kurtj

I always have render to texture on. But let's say someone takes it off for some reason or another and a crash occurs. How would you put "render to texture" on if you can't open the program?

Guest Peter Wilding

start fs9 in safe mode? And if that does not work then use system restore.

Guest spookymufu

doesnt it only crash when loading a flight?

Guest Vilk

"RenderToTexture=1" in your video card's section in fs9.cfg

A direct edit to FS9.cfg (make a safe copy first) under DisplayDevice.xxxx section. Change 0 to 1 to turn it on for DXT3 clouds.Faster than using the safe mode option. FS9.cfg can be edited with notepad or wordpad (saving in .txt mode).