Sign in to follow this  
rcpistonhead

Does anybody use dual screens (monitors) in the NGX?

Hello -

I was just wondering if anybody out there uses 2 monitors for the NGX? I recently purchased a second monitor and would love to get it set up so both monitors display the VC (left monitor displays left side of cockpit and right monitor displays right side of cockpit). How does this affect performance? Any insight on the topic would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

Hi Ben,

I'm currently using four monitors with the NGX: three for the virtual cockpit (using a TripleHead2Go in 5760x1080), and a fourth for my instruments (PFD, MFD, etc in 1280x1024).

I'm flying in fullscreen and noticed a drop of 3 to 5 FPS compared to when I used one monitor, so considering I tripled the horizontal resolution, this is very good.

And once you tried multi-monitors, you will not be able to use only one again :-).

Hope this will help.

Fabrice

Fabrice Lambert

Hi Ben,

I'm currently using four monitors with the NGX: three for the virtual cockpit (using a TripleHead2Go in 5760x1080), and a fourth for my instruments (PFD, MFD, etc in 1280x1024).

I'm flying in fullscreen and noticed a drop of 3 to 5 FPS compared to when I used one monitor, so considering I tripled the horizontal resolution, this is very good.

And once you tried multi-monitors, you will not be able to use only one again :-).

Hope this will help.

Fabrice

HI Fabrice -

Thanks for the info! I am actually thinking of doing 3 monitors also. I have read about the TH2G but since I use Nvidia I am going to try the Nvidia Surround to set up the monitors. Have you heard any good or bad about that? Thanks!

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

Ben,

I've read about some simmers using Nvidia Surround and it seems to behave the same as the TH2G, I did not read complaints.

One thing you have to know, is that using three monitors, no matter how, adds some distortion in on the edges (on monitor 1 and 3) and the angle of view is wide. You will have to play with the zoom in FSX to obtain something acceptable (zoom 1.0 is the best for me), but you will never get a perfect image. I learned this after buying and testing and was a bit disapointed because the view was not as wide as expected, but got finally used to it.

I encourage you to search the net about FSX and triple monitors. I remember a site where a guy explained why it happened (with some videos on youtube too) and how to find the best zoom factor, but cannot remember the name. You will not find screenshots showing this distortion, because strangely enough, when you do a screenshot, it does not show it...

My goal is just to inform, in no case I tell you you should not do it. As I said, I could not fly without my three monitors now. Read and make your decision.

Happy flying!

Fabrice

Fabrice Lambert

Hello -

I was just wondering if anybody out there uses 2 monitors for the NGX? I recently purchased a second monitor and would love to get it set up so both monitors display the VC (left monitor displays left side of cockpit and right monitor displays right side of cockpit). How does this affect performance? Any insight on the topic would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Ben since you have that second monitor already

why not just plug it in and see how it goes.

Activate it and set it's native resolution in Windows.

Then configure it again to the correct resolution in FSX settings.

With FSX started just create a new VC view and drag it to that second monitor.

Use panning and eye point controls to position it in the right seat.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Ben since you have that second monitor already

why not just plug it in and see how it goes.

Activate it and set it's native resolution in Windows.

Then configure it again to the correct resolution in FSX settings.

With FSX started just create a new VC view and drag it to that second monitor.

Use panning and eye point controls to position it in the right seat.

gb.

gb -

I did try setting everything up with my 2 monitors but everything I tried just wasn't giving me the results that I wanted. So, I actually went out and got a 3rd identical monitor and used Nvidia Surround to setup my 5760x1080 resolution. In FSX all I had to do was change the resolution in the .cfg to 5760x1080 and it's working perfectly! I'm running in full screen mode and FSX is displayed on all 3 monitors. I love the new view! :-)

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

gb -

I did try setting everything up with my 2 monitors but everything I tried just wasn't giving me the results that I wanted. So, I actually went out and got a 3rd identical monitor and used Nvidia Surround to setup my 5760x1080 resolution. In FSX all I had to do was change the resolution in the .cfg to 5760x1080 and it's working perfectly! I'm running in full screen mode and FSX is displayed on all 3 monitors. I love the new view! :-)

Great.

Quite impressive looking first up is'nt it?

Over time you might find the edge distortion more of a distraction,

as Fabrice says above.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Great.

Quite impressive looking first up is'nt it?

Over time you might find the edge distortion more of a distraction,

as Fabrice says above.

gb.

Yes, it is quite impressive! I have the bezel (edge) distortion down to a minimum with Nvidia Surround. I just finished my first flight and it looked awesome! I was even surprised to find that my FPS didn't drop at all! In fact, it almost seemed better than before! I don't know how I have lived without multiple monitors :P

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

[...]

I remember a site where a guy explained why it happened (with some videos on youtube too) and how to find the best zoom factor, but cannot remember the name.

[...]

WideViewAspect & Zoom: Part 1

WideViewAspect & Zoom: Part 2

Hope that helps,

Adrian

Adrian, these are the videos I was thinking of. Thanks!

Ben, welcome to the wonderfull world of triple monitors. Now, you will not be able to stop... FMC on an iPad, physical radio stack, MCP and EFIS... Checking your bank account and cry everytime you go on the Opencockpits website... :-)

Enjoy!!

Fabrice Lambert

Ben, welcome to the wonderfull world of triple monitors. Now, you will not be able to stop... FMC on an iPad, physical radio stack, MCP and EFIS... Checking your bank account and cry everytime you go on the Opencockpits website... :-)

Enjoy!!

Lol I know what you mean! I already have the bug quite bad. Here is a short video of my setup that I recorded last night. (sorry for the quality, I recorded with my phone)

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

I bought two monitors for that purpose but actually prefer to run on one and use the other one for my open program windows eg; Squwakbox, Opus, Teamspeak. Of course, I could get a third monitor, still do that. Will need a bigger desk. :huh:

Will need a bigger desk. :huh:

I had the same problem Sean. That's why I use a 8ft folding table as a desk. It has plenty of space for everything and the yoke and throttle quadrants mount nicely to it. Also fairly cheap at about $80.

Ben Weaver

SWA8485

Trust me, tried that. Was going to get an old kitchen table and set up two computers on it. Completely denied by the wife. We are already looking for a nice L shaped desk. I'll probably get yelled at eventually but I,m running three computers and four monitors right now for flying. The main with two monitors as stated above, one desktop for charts, planning, and fcoms. Then the laptop for Netflix. Dirty looks about electric bills and such.

Lol I know what you mean! I already have the bug quite bad. Here is a short video of my setup that I recorded last night. (sorry for the quality, I recorded with my phone)

Ben are you happy with that Saitek radio panel?

What software do you use to program it?

Thanks,

gb.