Sign in to follow this  
ahuimanu

Procedure to Resume from Saved Flight

Unfortunately,

I remain periodically stuck with the VAS monster on this aircraft (shudder to think what is going to happen with future aircraft).  So, when the FSUIPC "ding ding ding" starts, I know I can at least save the flight and somewhat recover.

Here is the problem: the interior recovers/reloads just fine, but the exterior does not.  The center of the fans has no texture on the external model and the test flight extras (little lines that come off the tail) are showing. This is with the Lufthansa 777F, which is about all I fly (99% of the time).

I realize that even going outside is a VAS factor, but I want to look at the outside sometimes.  In any case, why do I have these model anomalies when I reload a saved flight?

I am I reloading wrong?  Should I pick the plane and THEN pick the flight?

Thanks for any illumination.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Unfortunately,

I remain periodically stuck with the VAS monster on this aircraft (shudder to think what is going to happen with future aircraft).  So, when the FSUIPC "ding ding ding" starts, I know I can at least save the flight and somewhat recover.

Here is the problem: the interior recovers/reloads just fine, but the exterior does not.  The center of the fans has no texture on the external model and the test flight extras (little lines that come off the tail) are showing. This is with the Lufthansa 777F, which is about all I fly (99% of the time).

I realize that even going outside is a VAS factor, but I want to look at the outside sometimes.  In any case, why do I have these model anomalies when I reload a saved flight?

I am I reloading wrong?  Should I pick the plane and THEN pick the flight?

Thanks for any illumination.

If I reload a flight, I select the saved situation directly from the menu (without loading the aircraft first). So far, I've never encountered a problem with the aircraft model. Have you tried re-installing the livery or saving and then reloading a different livery? Maybe the problem lies there.

I am I reloading wrong? Should I pick the plane and THEN pick the flight?

If you are directly loading the flight on top of an existing PMDG or other complex aircraft, you will have many, unpredictable problems.

Try loading the default ultralite/trike/Friday Harbor flight in between, or at least a default Cessna.  Best is to restart FSX.  When FSX starts, you should see the default/Friday Harbor flight in the startup window, but you don't have to actually load it.

If you have a registered version of FSUIPC, you can activate Autosave which will continually save your flight and make it easy to restart a flight where you left off.

Have you read the introductory manual, especially on dealing w/ memory issues?

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

The procedure is pretty straight forward but requires the prerequisite below:

_ In FSX startup window as said above, you must have the default Trike and Friday Harbour when starting FSX. Then before launching your flight at the beginning, you can select from the startup window your aircraft / airport / date-time.

Now to resume from saved flight:

- Save your flight

- Reboot FSX

- load your flight previously saved directly from the startup window

- let the aircraft reload its configuration (15 s) then here you go! like if nothing happens. 

I do it in long haul flights with high quality departure and arrival airports and the total process takes 3 minutes in my system.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Thanks.

I usually load the PMDG 777 directly when I first start as we are told this is possible in Tutorial #1 (PMDG-777-Tutorial-1.pdf): "There is no need to first load the Cessna 172, or use any sort of custom saved flight when loading the PMDG 777-200LR/F. Our programming sets up the sim environment properly as the aircraft is loading."

So, while I can't locate instructions for resuming from a saved flight, I deduced that the same is possible when loading from saved flight.  

I am familiar with the "dance" as you describe it here (thank you for it, don't want to sound ungrateful) and I'll return to that procedure.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

No problem. ^_^

Have a good flight!

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

The procedure is pretty straight forward but requires the prerequisite below:

_ In FSX startup window as said above, you must have the default Trike and Friday Harbour when starting FSX. Then before launching your flight at the beginning, you can select from the startup window your aircraft / airport / date-time

It doesn't have to be the Trike and it certainly doesn't have to be at Friday Harbor.

That is the original FSX default flight and it will work but you can use a default flight at any airport (which should be in your own time zone) and any FSX default piston engined aircraft. The jets might work too but I've never tested that.

FSX time starts out of sync with yours if you don't use an airport in your time zone for the default flight.

ki9cAAb.jpg

I usually load the PMDG 777 directly when I first start as we are told this is possible in Tutorial #1 (PMDG-777-Tutorial-1.pdf): "There is no need to first load the Cessna 172, or use any sort of custom saved flight when loading the PMDG 777-200LR/F. Our programming sets up the sim environment properly as the aircraft is loading."

This is entirely okay, the caveat is that the default aircraft that appears in the rotating preview window when you first start Free Flight, before selecting an aircraft or loading a flight, shouldn't be a PMDG aircraft. I'll point out that that's my opinion based on my experience.

Dan Downs KCRP

This is entirely okay, the caveat is that the default aircraft that appears in the rotating preview window when you first start Free Flight, before selecting an aircraft or loading a flight, shouldn't be a PMDG aircraft. I'll point out that that's my opinion based on my experience.

Yeah, I think there is some confusion in terms here by most people.

I think of the sim as having two loads:

1. When you first start the sim with the screens that look similar to this:

fig1.jpg

2. When you load into the area in which you're flying, which looks like this:

2014-5-30_17-24-23-112.jpg

I think people get confused as to which "load" people are referring to.  The way I've interpreted things over the years is as follows:

The first load must be loading a default MS aircraft.  When the sim first boots up, the aircraft rotating in the window should be a default, simple model.  From there, you can choose any model and go into the "flying area" (second load) without issue.

I think a lot of people interpret some of the posts out there to say that you have to load the sim (first load) with the default aircraft, then load the flight with a default aircraft (second load), and finally, switch the aircraft.  This is what that language in the tutorial is meant to address: you do not need to hit Fly Now with a default aircraft still selected.  It's only when the sim first loads that the aircraft needs to be a default aircraft.

Kyle Rodgers

FSX time starts out of sync with yours if you don't use an airport in your time zone for the default flight.

Ha, still learning, thanks Kevin, I always wondered about that time being out of wack. Got my default trike now placed at ENGM :)

Cheers,

23.png

Yeah, I think there is some confusion in terms here by most people.

I think of the sim as having two loads:

1. When you first start the sim with the screens that look similar to this:

fig1.jpg

2. When you load into the area in which you're flying, which looks like this:

2014-5-30_17-24-23-112.jpg

I think people get confused as to which "load" people are referring to.  The way I've interpreted things over the years is as follows:

The first load must be loading a default MS aircraft.  When the sim first boots up, the aircraft rotating in the window should be a default, simple model.  From there, you can choose any model and go into the "flying area" (second load) without issue.

I think a lot of people interpret some of the posts out there to say that you have to load the sim (first load) with the default aircraft, then load the flight with a default aircraft (second load), and finally, switch the aircraft.  This is what that language in the tutorial is meant to address: you do not need to hit Fly Now with a default aircraft still selected.  It's only when the sim first loads that the aircraft needs to be a default aircraft.

That is a reasonable interpretation of what is in that document, and how I operate (all most all of my flying is in the Lufthansa B777F).  However, in my endless struggle to find the balance with VAS, there are times where you need to save flight and proceed from that.

The question is this.  I do have a default flight (the trike spinning) when I reload, but I then load saved flight and that is when the model is screwy.  Perhaps the procedure is to select the aircraft first, and then load flight.

I was looking for validation of that procedure or of any procedure that is appropriate.

Jeff Bea

Nope, no need to. Start FSX with one of the default aircraft spinning in the "Free flight" menu, then load your saved flight.

23.png

The question is this. I do have a default flight (the trike spinning) when I reload, but I then load saved flight and that is when the model is screwy.

When you save the flight, is a panel state with the same name being saved (3 files in FSX>PMDG>PMDG 777>panelstates)?  I believe some people have problems with Windows permissions that interfere with the save.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Ha, still learning, thanks Kevin, I always wondered about that time being out of wack. Got my default trike now placed at ENGM :)

Any time, Mo. Cheers. :drinks:

Perhaps the procedure is to select the aircraft first, and then load flight.

No, definitely not that. That would load the aircraft on top of itself, which PMDG specifically advise against.

Your problem may be because you are saving the flight with VAS already near the limit. The data saved may already be corrupted. The answer is either to use FSUIPC autosave, or if you don't have the licenced FSUIPC you can download a free utility called FSXsave which does the same job. Autosave saves the flight, and all necessary files for it, at frequent intervals. If you get VAS warnings you simply close FSX, restart it normally then load the most recent autosaved flight before the warnings began.

ki9cAAb.jpg

FSX save....well how about that....interesting.

I do not use FSUIPC autosave anymore because it fills up the PMDG CDU with tons of saved flights.

(yes you can delete them but I find it a hassle)

Does autosave work better in this respect?

I think you can also just edit the local time.

Set it to your local time and then it does not matter what time the default flght is at.

Rob Robson