Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mike Want

I'm a Moron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest GOP

I loaded up FS9 and no sound, so I thought when I ended some processes might of killed my sound my mistake. Re-booted computer, load FS9, still no sound. Check sound card and make sure its seated proper, again no sound. Thought the card might have gone bad, almost went out and bought new card, until I noticed my speakers became un-plugged!!!!!!!Doh!!!!!!!!!

Guest Paul Heaney

Hehehe ouch.

Back in the late '50 I used to make housecalls for a TV repair shop. I'd sometimes find that the only thing wrong was that the set was unplugged. So, I always fiddled around in the back for 10-15 minutes before I plugged it back in. Then I just told the customer that the galvin valve in the power supply had come loose and I reseated it. That made them feel much better about paying me to come out there :-) . Stuff happens...Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest bobsk8

>I loaded up FS9 and no sound, so I thought when I ended some>processes might of killed my sound my mistake. Re-booted>computer, load FS9, still no sound. Check sound card and make>sure its seated proper, again no sound. Thought the card might>have gone bad, almost went out and bought new card, until I>noticed my speakers became un-plugged!!!!!!!Doh!!!!!!!!!I bet you are glad you didn't reinstall FS9 :)

A systems technician by trade, I from time to time help my peers and my wife's friends with computer issues pro bono--you never know when you may need a favor yourself someday. One of her friends was stumped--had phoned systems support with the issue of no sound. They did the usual troubleshooting--drivers, is it muted, speakers plugged in? I paid them a visit. The speakers were plugged in--in the line out jack :)But what was memorable about the visit is how money isn't always needed for a huge payback. Their five year old girl was dying to play all those wonderful games that came bundled with the computer. I never heard so many "thank-you's" in my entire life. She was grinning from ear to ear when I left.-John

LOLA car mechanic told a friend of mine that his Knudsen Valve was bad and charged him 50 bucks. Would have loved to known really what the problem was. We all laughed at him about that for a long time.

Note about my story above--I meant to say the speakers were plugged into the line-in jack. I've been flying in the flight levels in MSFS today with no O'2, I guess. :)

Guest Rockcliffe

You think you're a moron?!I almost break my finger pushing extra hard on the '.' thinking that if I go heavy on the brakes I can stop myself from overshooting the runway, lol. Same goes for the F2 for reverse thrust.I think in my mind I understand it makes no difference how hard I push the keys, but I just can't help myself. :-)BlairCYOW

Guest mruane

Gee Doug, that bought back some memories, I can still remember people saying that they thought the "picture valve" had gone! We had no option but to agree - the customer is always right!

I have a neighbor that bought a new Dell.... he wanted me to check it out because the sound wasn't working. He had the speakers plugged into the mike socket.Joe w.

Lucky it wasn't the "dual exhaust flywheel muffler bearing" or the "blinker fluid pump". :-lolBTW before I was even a glint-- A TV tube or any tube that acted like a transistor WAS called a valve. Give a little,,, get alot. :-hmmm:-spam1 Whats with Tiger Woods??? Holy Moly!! Regards,Roman

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Thanks. All this time I thought I was the only one who did that :-) .

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Almost nobody here in the USA ever heard of a "valve". A customer once asked me once what it was and I just told him it was the thing that turned the power on and off - kind of like a valve on a water pipe that turns the water on and off. He was happy with that and I didn't have to make him feel like a dummy by telling him what the problem really was.Doug

Ha! We all do stupid things occasionally...A few days ago, I went to open GMax on my development machine and found to by horror that the entire gmax folder and contents were missing (about 32 GBs of critical project files)!Fortunately, since I've always been the anal retentive type, I religiously back up files to multiple locations, including an off-premises ftp server, so I was quickly back in business... or, so I thought...For some reason no changes made to the MakeMDL.parts.xml file would compile into my model builds! Oh no!It took nearly three hours of angst and anguish before I noticed that GMax was launching MakeMDL (and reading the MakeMDL.parts.xml file) from the backup file server in the next room instead of the local machine's folder... *:-*

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator